My 1st IPDA Match

My 1st IPDA Match

This is a discussion on My 1st IPDA Match within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I just got back from my first professional match. I've been shooting at a local gun club called KPDL in Louisville for about ...

Thread: My 1st IPDA Match

My 1st IPDA Match

Hello everyone, I just got back from my first professional match. I've been shooting at a local gun club called KPDL in Louisville for about 8 months. However I missed the match last week so I looked around and found the bluegrass sportsman's league. I signed up for the IDPA match they offered this weekend and went to town. The scoring was very different from what I'm used to at KPDL but overall it was very similar in layout and target type. Although KPDL has more steel and less paper but I guess that varies from place to place. Anyway, here are the videos I took at the match. Sorry about the lack of sound, there were about 60 shooters at 6 different stages at the time of filming so I figured it just wasn't worth it. Enjoy and feel free to give me a critique.

[IMG][/IMG]

"The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

BTW in last vid, I really didn't need to shoot the 3rd magazine but it was my last 6 rounds and I figured what the heck. So I ended up punching a few more holes in the black barrel aiming at the target taking cover behind it, although the rounds that hit the barrel were either thrown off or didn't penetrate, which was VERY frustrating as I ended up with a failure to neutralize on that target. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Datsun40146; January 16th, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Distinguished Member
    FUN. Thanks for posting the videos. Cool.

Congratulations on your first pistol match! Did ya have fun burning up all that ammo? Steel is fun to shoot IMO. My wife and I like steel challenge a bit more than regular IPSC (mix steel and cardboard). Pistol matches whether IDPA or IPSC are more than just shooting a paper target from the line at the local range, with no pressured magazine changes, or movement, and no real challenge. Gets the thinking process involved for sure. They are exciting, and creative clubs will always set up new and challenging stages each time.
    So....what pistol did you shoot at the match today?
    Critique? No way! I've been doing USPSA matches for three years when my work schedule allows, and I've been taking my wife to all of them last year. Personally, I'd like to remain an amateur for the rest of my shooting days. The best critique after a match comes from you and you alone. That's the way it should be. After all, you're the only one who knows what you can do better next time. Set your goals, and improve on what's stuck in your mind at the time. Drawing, magazine changes, and aiming technique can be practiced at home without burning ammo in preparation for the next time. Good luck with it all, and I hope you get settled into a regular schedule with a decent club and stick with it. Shooting the matches goes above and beyond simple range practice, and they develop an ordinary shooter into one that can think on the move. They are fun and enlightening, but not just games. Like most who cannot afford professional training, it's the next best thing.
    Critique yourself on the match. That's the way things were designed. You're living for your goals.......not anyone else'.

Thanks Ramrod I did have alot of fun! I was shooting my S&W 3913NL 9mm.
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I did have alot of fun! I was shooting my S&W 3913NL 9mm.
    So.....was it totally reliable for you throughout your match? Your EDC? That's important as well. Making sure your EDC choice is fully functional under duress. That's what gains confidence, and confidence in your EDC is all too important.

Yes it is my EDC, no jams, no FTF, no FTE, the gun was completely functional.
    -Hybridz.org

Looks like it was a lot of fun!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

What holster and mag holders do you use for the 3913?
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Congrats, I have yet to take the plunge yet but am looking forward to it. BTW, you have great taste in classic Datsuns.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Wow,It looks really cold,You can always tell a true shooter no matter how cold or hot or rainy or snowy,as long as they get to shoot it's a good day
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was using a bikini style leather holster made by Mitchell Leather works with a matching dual magazine carrier. Not a bad set-up but not as fast as the kydex I was used to. I just ordered a cross breed for the 3913 I will give a review when it comes in.

New videos will be posted at the end of Feb but with a HUGE twist. I bought a tiny and I mean smaller that a button 3 mega pixel camera that I've fitted to my hat. So next month's videos will be from behind the shooter. You will see what I see, when I shoot and how I shoot. It should make for a great time. Anyway thanks everyone!
    -Hybridz.org

Sponsored Links