Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!?

This is a discussion on Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No. Jerry...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    No.
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Yes, it would be worth it.

I was fortunate to have some good training while in the service, it never hurts to gain all the training you can get when you can get it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

How much is the trained ability to defend yourself and your family worth?

$600 is a bargain, IMO (having spent a lot more than that already, and that's before I even had a gun).
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    More likely than not. But no more often than once every two years. More likely if I had a shooting area to practice without strict range rules.
    I take notes after the action and will buy the dvd to keep concepts fresh.
    One has to learn the correct moves and tactics to practice.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    How much is the trained ability to defend yourself and your family worth?

$600 is a bargain, IMO (having spent a lot more than that already, and that's before I even had a gun).
    Hi greenLED,

What is your opinion as to a $ amount? If that were the one thing needed for you to feel secure in your abilities, would you spend the rent money or the food for the week?

Maybe as a percentage of your income, how much is "the trained ability to defend yourself and your family worth?"

Regards,
    Jerry

Yes, for certain. $600 is a pittance compared to the cost of NOT being trained - from the standpoint of not surviving a gunfight, or using your gun when you didn't need to.

I dropped at least that much on my first training course nearly 20 years ago, and many times more in the ensuing years. I try to get to at least one per year, and tuition and ammo are typically in excess of $1000 - and that's without travel.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*

Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!?

Depends on the instructors and staff.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'm still weighing out whether to do Frontsight's 4 day defensive training course this year... It's $2,000, but I can get a cert for $500.. So it seems like a great opportunity. I'll have to save up to pull it off, and it would have to be later this year.

From what i've heard about Frontsight, it's top notch..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    I'm still weighing out whether to do Frontsight's 4 day defensive training course this year... It's $2,000, but I can get a cert for $500.. So it seems like a great opportunity. I'll have to save up to pull it off, and it would have to be later this year.

From what i've heard about Frontsight, it's top notch..
    Do your homework. Check on other training oriented forums. That's a lot of money for a four day class even with a $500 certificate. Two fifty to three hundred a day is acceptable for a first class trainer but fifteen hundred to Two thousand is way high IMHO.

Do you want to learn how to fight with the gun or how to run it or both?
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Yes, I would pay (and have paid) that kind of money for training. As others have mentioned, it's very important to vet your instructor beforehand. But provided that they are knowledgeable and competent, then $200 a day is a reasonable sum to pay.

It's amazing to me that so many people are unwilling to pay for quality instruction. That's seems to be true of any kind of instruction, whether it's firearms or some other activity. In many ways, you get what you pay for. You are paying to learn a skill, but you're also paying to have access to the breadth of knowledge and experience that your instructor will bring to the table in order to help teach you the skill in question. The instructor has invested a significant amount of time and money to gather the knowledge and resources that he has, and it's reasonable that he expects to be compensated for that. Said compensation is reflected in the course prices that he charges.

In my opinion, the real way to choose an instructor for any sort of activity is to find an individual who teaches what you want to do, who actually does it on his own time (as opposed to spending all his time with students) and whose former students speak highly of him. It's even better if those former students have worked with several different instructors and are still willing to speak highly of the instructor you're considering. But once you find the instructor that meets your needs, you pay what he charges...or you decide to go elsewhere, pay less, and get inferior training.

Brian

Do your homework. That's a lot of money for a four day class even with a $500 certificate. Two fifty to three hundred a day is acceptable for a first class trainer but fifteen hundred to Two thousand is way high IMHO.

Do you want to learn how to fight with the gun or how to run it or both?
    Yup.

Check Thunder Ranch (Clint Smith), GunSite (Jeff Cooper), Gabe Suarez, Yavapai, Firearms Academy of Seattle, Oregon Firearms Academy, Modern Combative Systems, and several others. There are quite a number of very good places to train, and most are priced lower than what you're indicating.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There's a local one (to me) called CounterTerrorism Institute of America that i'm looking into. In the end, this one might win out due to it being local. It utilizes the Urban Warfare Center in N SLC.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi greenLED,

What is your opinion as to a $ amount? If that were the one thing needed for you to feel secure in your abilities, would you spend the rent money or the food for the week?

Maybe as a percentage of your income, how much is "the trained ability to defend yourself and your family worth?"

Regards,
    Jerry
    That's an interestingly phrased series of questions, Jerry.

Most certainly we have the common sense to set our spending priorities before paying for defensive training and not being able to buy milk for the kids, so that's not an issue.

To put things into perspective... I did most of my pre-gun ownership training while I was still in school, with a family, and sometimes 2 jobs (plus school), plus I sold stuff online. I had to save (for quite some time!, and at times I had to spend my "special savings" on house items) and wait longer than I would wait now, but I made sure I could get the best training I could, and I got every penny out of it.

Why? Because all the money in the world wouldn't replace one of my kids, or my wife. So, I worked training into my priorities (lower, of course than other family demands).

Also, keep in mind that most training is incremental. In terms of ingraining abilities and learning new skills, I do not think it's the same to pay $1200 in one go for a single course (and never doing it again), than paying $200-300 every 3-4 months (or 8-12, depends on what you can afford) and taking more courses throughout a year. I think you get much more out of smaller "chunks" of information, and more frequent, incremental training.

How much represents out of your total income? Depends on your income, doesn't it? ;) I know for sure I haven't spent nearly enough to feel "confident" about my abilities yet. So the training continues...
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member
    Pretty much, no.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    What is your opinion as to a $ amount?
    I know of no person who would fail to cover food, clothing, shelter, in order to simply "feel" able enough. Seems to be sort of an unrealistic gauge, that. I can't imagine anyone needing to go anywhere near that far.

The functional ability to provide a reasonably effective level of safety and security is an important part of being an adult, an adult member of a family, and most certainly a parent. That level will vary, according to a few key factors, such as: one's innate abilities; one's life experiences and resulting mindset; one's approach to problem solving; and the tools and tactics one employs when SHTF.

Who's to say what dollar value results in a given level of ability? Were I to have insufficient abilities (as gauged by my trainers/mentors), then the deficiencies would need to be rectified. The value would have to be sufficiently rich and "dense" to fill the gaps. When would that occur? It would depend on the value and my progress, of course. At what dollar value? Who's to say. It would be reached when it's reached. It would almost certainly be reached prior to failing to cover food, clothing, shelter.

On the topic of cost, I think that misses the mark. Rather, I think it's about value. Out of the list of a dozen instructors I have had, a couple "no names" who charged very little were of the greatest value, partly due to that being in an area where I needed the most help, hence in those areas I made the most progress and obtained the greatest return on the time and money invested. And, one of the highest-dollar venues also returned extremely high value. Hard to tell, ahead of time, except via doing one's homework and seeking these out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links