Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!? - Page 3

Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!?

This is a discussion on Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, my wife and I have both paid $600+ for several courses. I am always amazed by how many "gun guys" (and gals) have no ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay $600 for defensive firearm training?!?

Yes, my wife and I have both paid $600+ for several courses.

I am always amazed by how many "gun guys" (and gals) have no problem buying numerous guns, but then balk at paying for good training.

In my opinion, once you have a good EDC gun, a duplicate of your EDC gun, a "deep concealment"/back up gun, a good defensive rifle, and a good defensive shotgun, you should focus your firearms funds on getting good training.

Then after that, go ahead and buy many more guns!
    Last edited by Orive 8; January 21st, 2010 at 11:04 AM.

I'm still weighing out whether to do Frontsight's 4 day defensive training course this year... It's $2,000, but I can get a cert for $500.. So it seems like a great opportunity. I'll have to save up to pull it off, and it would have to be later this year.

From what i've heard about Frontsight, it's top notch..
    You should be able to get a cert a hell of a lot cheaper than that. Check eBay

ETA: About $160 currently. Far and away the best deal in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    <snip>
    I am always amazed by how many "gun guys" (and gals) have no problem buying numerous guns, but then balk at paying for good training.
    <snip>
    Agreed. I think it's because when you buy a gun you have something tangible for the money you spend, versus paying for training where the 'item' you purchased is much less tangible.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    <snip>
    In my opinion, once you have a good EDC gun, a duplicate of your EDC gun, a "deep concealment"/back up gun, a good defensive rifle, and a good defensive shotgun, you should focus your firearms founds on getting good training.

Then after that, go ahead and buy many more guns!
    Sounds like an excellent strategy to me!

Brian

Administrator
    I wouldn't buy an airplane without having somebody to teach me to fly it. (and fly it well) Its just part of the cost of responsible carrying.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Agreed. I think it's because when you buy a gun you have something tangible for the money you spend, versus paying for training where the 'item' you purchased is much less tangible.

Brian

True, training isn't really a tangible object. But it's an investment that won't depreciate. The payoff isn't tangible, either; but that's not why we do it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    That's an interestingly phrased series of questions, Jerry.

Most certainly we have the common sense to set our spending priorities before paying for defensive training and not being able to buy milk for the kids, so that's not an issue.

To put things into perspective... I did most of my pre-gun ownership training while I was still in school, with a family, and sometimes 2 jobs (plus school), plus I sold stuff online. I had to save (for quite some time!, and at times I had to spend my "special savings" on house items) and wait longer than I would wait now, but I made sure I could get the best training I could, and I got every penny out of it.

Why? Because all the money in the world wouldn't replace one of my kids, or my wife. So, I worked training into my priorities (lower, of course than other family demands).

Also, keep in mind that most training is incremental. In terms of ingraining abilities and learning new skills, I do not think it's the same to pay $1200 in one go for a single course (and never doing it again), than paying $200-300 every 3-4 months (or 8-12, depends on what you can afford) and taking more courses throughout a year. I think you get much more out of smaller "chunks" of information, and more frequent, incremental training.

How much represents out of your total income? Depends on your income, doesn't it? ;) I know for sure I haven't spent nearly enough to feel "confident" about my abilities yet. So the training continues...
    Thanks for the reply. There is no doubt that we balance the + and- of our needs and desires.

I have no quarrel with you. However, I never felt the need to take a lot of SD classes. Personally, no disrespect here, but I think that most just enjoy it, and it is a way a game. But to each his own. Not problem from me.

Have a nice day, and stay safe.

Regards,
    Jerry

I just signed up for Front Sight's Patriot deal for the wife and my self. Cost was $1199.00 each for a 4 day course plus 1 day 30 state CCW class. It also includes a Springfield XD Pistol for each of us along with a lot of other goodies.

Yep, looking forward to it.

VIP Member
    Well, I just signed up for the new MAG-40 class for 800-bucks. No, I'm not rich but I've always wanted to meet Massad Ayoob and learn from him, pick his brain, etc. Then of course there’s the ammo costs, meals, lodging and those incidentals!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

What is the deal with using the Ebay certificates? You get there with your certificate, and have to shell out more money to attend more than 1 day of training? Seems like they would not honor certificates they did not issue directly. Also, do they provide ammo or do you have to lug it out there with you? I have been wanting to go to the Frontsight classes, but the cost seemed a little steep to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHinWV View Post
    What is the deal with using the Ebay certificates? You get there with your certificate, and have to shell out more money to attend more than 1 day of training? Seems like they would not honor certificates they did not issue directly. Also, do they provide ammo or do you have to lug it out there with you? I have been wanting to go to the Frontsight classes, but the cost seemed a little steep to me.
    Not sure what you mean. The certs are good for four days of training: One person can take a four-day class, or two people can take a two-day class together. (One person could of course use the cert for a two-day class, but that would be kind of a waste.) The certs are issued by Front Sight to members, to dispose of as the member wishes - give away, sell, whatever. They're the property of the member, and FS/Piazza don't get an additional nickel from their sale or redemption.

The great majority of the certs can only be used for a person's first ever class at FS, although there are a few unlimited certs floating around. I took my first class - Four Day Defensive Handgun - on a cert. You do have to pay $50 for a background check. Even members have to pay that fee yearly, assuming the member signs up for a class in that year.

FS has a pro shop which sells ammo. I haven't checked lately (I live in Vegas, so schlepping ammo is no problem for me), but previously their prices were not good - captive clientele, hot dog-at-Disneyland high. I'd also call them and check for availability in your caliber, as they're not magically exempt from the general shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well, I just signed up for the new MAG-40 class for 800-bucks. No, I'm not rich but I've always wanted to meet Massad Ayoob and learn from him, pick his brain, etc. Then of course there’s the ammo costs, meals, lodging and those incidentals!
    You will like Mas. My husband (Benthic) and I took LFI-1 with him about 18 months ago. Great class, and all of the instructors were top notch. Mas is a character and a very nice guy- not to mention uber knowledgeable and skilled.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

A thought, love training, staying practiced, doing all the things considered to stay proficient, is not only fun but adds confidence.

What do think the consensus is from all you folks (out of respect to all the GREAT info) here regarding post SD event.

A definite plus in a GJ hearing, or a subjective matter on behalf of an DA?

Curious of some thoughts?

If it's bad, I'm screwed!

Take care, be safe.

Depends what you're getting. The going rate for good firearms training is around $200 per day. $600 for a three day course would be a little on the steep side, but I might be willing to pay it for a very well known instructor or a course that used special facilities (a shoot house or something similar). For a three day course it would be about average.

Of course, the bottom line is the quality of instruction you receive and whether you get anything out of it. The quality of a course isn't necessarily directly related to the cost, and even with high quality instruction what you get out of a course is going to depend on how suitable it is for your level of knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgrins View Post
    Or would you be satisfied with more local low key IDPA and NRA type courses?
    In a word, no. I don't think these really do that good a job preparing you for a confrontation. If I need to defend myself I want to be as well prepared as possible.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    No, I would not

Distinguished Member
    I said no here about three weeks ago.

Now I've changed that to yes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links