Looking for courses in the NY/Southwestern CT area

This is a discussion on Looking for courses in the NY/Southwestern CT area within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's going to be a few months before I have my NYS permit in hand (after which I'll get my CT non-res) but in the ...

Thread: Looking for courses in the NY/Southwestern CT area

Distinguished Member

Looking for courses in the NY/Southwestern CT area

It's going to be a few months before I have my NYS permit in hand (after which I'll get my CT non-res) but in the mean time I've been researching some home & personal defense and even tactical shooting courses.

I'm looking for some ideas or recommendations. I've found some courses offered at some local ranges but I would be nice to get some recommendations.

Short of any personal recommendation what is the best way to evaluate the course/instructor before plunking down some money and spending time at a course? All the courses and instructors sound great on paper. I figured at the very least I could take a short basic/advanced marksmanship course with them to see if I like the teaching style before going to an more involved defense type course.

2. Remove Ads

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm looking for a defensive class in CT and this is one that I found. I'll have to look into it more, but it's not until summer.

ASAA

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    It's going to be a few months before I have my NYS permit in hand (after which I'll get my CT non-res) but in the mean time I've been researching some home & personal defense and even tactical shooting courses.

I'm looking for some ideas or recommendations. I've found some courses offered at some local ranges but I would be nice to get some recommendations.

Short of any personal recommendation what is the best way to evaluate the course/instructor before plunking down some money and spending time at a course? All the courses and instructors sound great on paper. I figured at the very least I could take a short basic/advanced marksmanship course with them to see if I like the teaching style before going to an more involved defense type course.
    Where in NY are you from?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I'm in the same situation as you. I'm looking for a defensive class in CT and this is one that I found. I'll have to look into it more, but it's not until summer.

ASAA
    Those courses look pretty good. Looks like they are held in Wallingford though, so it's a bit further than I'd ideally like to travel, but it's still an option.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Where in NY are you from?
    I'm in Westchester on the border of CT.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    SMALL ARMS & PRACTICAL COMBATIVES TRAINING
    Chris is a friend of mine and holds classes in upstate NY as well as in the Long Island area.
    We will be co teaching some classes in LI in the near future.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Chris is a friend of mine and holds classes in upstate NY as well as in the Long Island area.
    We will be co teaching some classes in LI in the near future.
    Thanks. I had seen him on the NYFirearms forum but wasn't aware he did training on LI. I'll have to keep my eye on the schedule after I get my permit.

It's on the fringe of "Soutwestern" CT (Bridgeport) but I've found them to be quite dood. I just started shooting last year and have taken four courses there since the Fall.
    Take a look.

Bridgeport Shooting Range
    Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a congressman can.
    Mark Twain

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm but because of those who look at it without doing anything.
    Albert Einstein

Specter Tactical does classes in CT. They do the Counter Terrorism/Counter Boarding training for the Groton Naval base.

Specter Tactical: Home

Good people. I've done 2 classes, one on CQC, the other on knife and they were both well worth the money.

http://www.bridgeportshootingrange.c..._ipdsystem.php this class is with someone affilliated (how closely I'm not sure) with Spec-Tac. From what I know, it's good.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikcap View Post
    It's on the fringe of "Soutwestern" CT (Bridgeport) but I've found them to be quite dood. I just started shooting last year and have taken four courses there since the Fall.
    Take a look.

Bridgeport Shooting Range
    Wow, that is quite the selection of courses. Looks like they have a nice little course track and are comprehensive. Bridgeport isn't far for me maybe 30-45mins so that's certainly doable.

I took my NRA class in Norwalk and the instructor says he also teaches at Bridgeport so I guess he must teach some of those classes. I had emailed him after our safety class inquiring about all this other classes but I never heard back from him.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Specter Tactical does classes in CT. They do the Counter Terrorism/Counter Boarding training for the Groton Naval base.

Specter Tactical: Home

Good people. I've done 2 classes, one on CQC, the other on knife and they were both well worth the money.

Bridgeport Shooting Range this class is with someone affilliated (how closely I'm not sure) with Spec-Tac. From what I know, it's good.
    Taking courses at Specter is probably a little far for me but Bridgeport seems like the place to go. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'd second contacting Chris Fry.

Links