my idpa day....hhhmmm

my idpa day....hhhmmm

This is a discussion on my idpa day....hhhmmm within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW!! something musta been in the air yesterday. had a terrible string of shooting on my 2nd IDPA match yesterday. others had mag troubles, one ...

my idpa day....hhhmmm

WOW!! something musta been in the air yesterday.
    had a terrible string of shooting on my 2nd IDPA match yesterday.
    others had mag troubles, one guy had a double feed on a glock on a reload.(owner was real surprised with that).
    i had a procedural on a reload (my weak point i guess), thought i shot 2 times like supposed to on a target but only shot once (had a reload in between, that thru me off i guess). it was rainy, dreary day and my mind musta got damp.
    brother!
    well maybe i'm being too hard on myself. i 'shot' good just had mental errors....
    oh well...another day.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

VIP Member
    Learn from the mistakes and keep on the fight. I shot Saturday and my first stage was simply atrocious! Not only I had points down to share till next year but I guess a couple of my reloads bypassed quality control and my gun jammed like crap. Lessons Learned: I need to practice more (I hadn't shot in a month) and make sure the reloads meet specs before going in the bag.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Often seems when I shoot that I can blow super hot and super cold - all on the same day! Sometimes Murphy is there to screw up reloads too.

Good or bad tho - it is still a form of practice and so has value - things go wrong, we work out why and hopefully do better next time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah, most times we are our worst critics.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

You learned one of the values of shooting in matches for a concealed weapon carrier: To find our weak spots.

I'm always hearing people putting down matches because they "aren't realistic" or are "only a game".
    Of course they are. But we can still benefit from them.

Besides, I get more out of shooting them than sitting at home complaining about how they aren't perfect.

I'd rather attend a training class, but since that's hard to do every weekend, matches can help. They show us that no matter how well we shoot in practice, we can still screw up/break things/have mental lapses/get bit by Murphy/etc.
    They show where we need to improve.
    A class might fix those things, but a match can let you know there are things that need fixed.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work !!!
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN

Besides, I get more out of shooting them than sitting at home complaining about how they aren't perfect.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Lead Moderator
    IDPA looks very intresting . too bad the nearest shoot would be 70 miles 1 way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

IDPA is great practice and a great reminder of what can happen in a gun fight (under much greater pressure). Got a jam?...mag loose?....missed? Well, clear that jam, slap that mag in and concentrate on hitting the vital zone...don't just stop and say "oops".

IDPA, while just a game, is a reminder under some pressure that you don't give up...you fix the problem as quickly as possible and stay in the game (and in real life your life may depend on it).

Enjoy the game...and remember the lessons learned. Did I mention...have fun!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    IDPA looks very intresting . too bad the nearest shoot would be 70 miles 1 way.
    If you think you have enough shooters, you might want to start your own club. Specially if you happen to be in between 2 other clubs and set the matches to cover the days they don't shoot.
    Randy Cain.

Links