Timer Question

Timer Question

This is a discussion on Timer Question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this belongs in here or not but I was thinking that a timer would be a useful training tool @ the ...

Thread: Timer Question

Timer Question

I don't know if this belongs in here or not but I was thinking that a timer would be a useful training tool @ the range but then I thought wouldn't neighboring lanes set it off?? Are there any out there that would work on a busy indoor range?? If so please let me know

PS - Really a whole separate topic but do you have any exercises or drills that i cna practice. My purpose is just for SD and to become more proficient.

Any time I use a timer we are shooting solo strings,I would assume any gunshot close enough to pick it up will cause it to register
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep. You can adjust the sensitivity on some models, like the CED 7000, but a guy in an adjacent lane is still going to register a shot.

As far as drills go--anything you normally practice (group shooting excepted) can benefit from a shot timer. You have a benchmark for time on those skills with a shot timer, and you have a vague feeling about time without one. Not all skills are time-dependant, but those that are will benefit.

You can also use it in dryfire practice by setting the par time. Let's say you think you can draw in 1.5 seconds. Set the par time at 1.5. Activate, draw, and try to dry fire with the sights in the "A" zone of an IPSC target before the second beep at 1.5. Dryfire reloads work the same way. With the gun up and on target, activate the timer. On the start beep, begin the reload. Try to have a dry fire shot in the "A" zone with a reloaded gun before the second beep.

When you make the time 5 reps in a row, drop the time by .1. If you bobble 2 reps in a row, shut off the timer and do 5-10 reps SLOWLY, perfectly, before you make another timed attempt.

Hope that helped!
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Sponsored Links