Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Basics: The NRA's 11 Rules of Gun Safety

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
The Basics: The NRA\'s 11 Rules of Gun Safety

1) Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (whether loaded or unloaded)

2) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

3) Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to shoot.

4) Know your target and what is beyond.

5) Know how to use the gun safely.

6) Be sure the gun is safe to operate.

7) Use only the correct ammunition for your gun

8) Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.

9) Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.

10) Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.

11) Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

See less See more
#5 ·
Agreed, Ms. Betty: the good Col. had it right. The really amazing thing about The 4, was that If only one was transgressed while the other 3 honored, it was likely to be embarrassing for the sinner,but not fatal for anyone. Break more than one, and someone is guaranteed to be hurt or killed.
Sorry if I sound \'old school\'. Me an'the Col. differ on some matters, but this aint one.

Dan

#6 ·
The NRA has 11 rules. The first three are officially the \"Fundamental Rules\". We like to call them the \"commandments\". The fourth rule is still, \"Know your target and what is beyond.\"

The rest of the NRA rules:

4 Know your target and what is beyond.
5 Know how to use the gun safely.
6 Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
7 Use only the correct ammunition for your gun
8 Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
9 Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
10 Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
11 Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

If you would like the NRA Gun Safety Rules Trifold call 800-336-7402 It is item 14080 and the cost is fifteen cents per handout. A minimum shipping fee of 3.50 applies. It is a good handout and in addition to listing all the safety rules folds out to show pictures identifying parts of a semi-auto, a revolver, an O/U shotgun and a rifle.

I use this handout for people who don\'t want a course, but just want to shoot a gun once. IMHO fifteen cents+S&H is a small investment to make in a potential new shooter.

#7 ·
Thanks, everyone I have corrected that post to reflect all 11 instead of just the first 3 so a new shooter won\'t just grab those three and be satisfied. If you find any more \"discrepancies\" on any other early posting, let me know.

#8 ·
Three Fundamental Rules

Bumper,

I thought your original post was fine with the three Fundamental Rules. Those certainly are the focus, and everyone in one of my classes should to be able to repeat the first three from memory by lunch break. Most can do all 11 by the end of class.

I\'ll ask my Senior Training Counselor about why the change, but I\'ll bet it was because of all the shall issue CHPs and the fact that a lot of folks who weren\'t hunters or shooters were taking the classes.

I have some thoughts on Rule #4 as it relates to a self-defense situation and how I teach it in a CHP class. I\'ll leave it as a scenario in the scenarios area. It is interesting food for thought I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.