The Basics: The NRA\'s 11 Rules of Gun Safety
1) Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (whether loaded or unloaded)
2) Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3) Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to shoot.
4) Know your target and what is beyond.
5) Know how to use the gun safely.
6) Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
7) Use only the correct ammunition for your gun
8) Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
9) Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
10) Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
11) Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.