Point Shooting

This is a discussion on Point Shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Y'all: Tried to "search" for some threads and could not come up with anything within my limited computer abilities so I'm asking. I believe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point Shooting

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Point Shooting

Hey Y'all: Tried to "search" for some threads and could not come up with anything within my limited computer abilities so I'm asking. I believe I know how to use my 38 and my mousegun 380 to shoot at a target---I can consistently hit body mass at 21 feet, but that is when I am aiming and taking my time. I practice at a range not only for just fun (have 22s for that) but to be sure I can come up with the goods should "what if" ever happen. As far as "what if" is concerned, I foresee a need to draw and fire almost immediately without using my sights and my abilities to target shoot. Any recommendations on techniques, procedures etc that I can follow to eventually feel confident on point shooting? Do it now with a shotgun but that is a lot easier when 10 or 15 pellets are spraying.

2. Remove Ads

This is what we teach, the MCS Drop Step. Sounds like what you are looking for. At this contact distance you need to be moving and shooting, not shooting and moving. The majority of traditional training concentrates on the shooting and not the moving. We are concerned with you being able to move first, in this scenario and how we drive it home is forcing you to take physical control of another person. We have found over and over that once people get two hands on the gun they get glued in place, and are certainly in no position to maintain physical control of a loved one. Very quickly this can put the loved one in danger of yours or your attackers rounds.- George

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...fire-pics.html

Quote:
    We have found over and over that once people get two hands on the gun they get glued in place
    End Quote:

True... they default to their training... Target Practice.

Your courses are what CCW people should take.
    Last edited by gunsite; February 1st, 2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: info

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    OK--time for the plug--
    Check the next catalog from Paladin Press.
    http://www.paladin-press.com/category/s
    My point shooting video--ably assisted by 7677--will be in it and it shows the type of situations that you mentioned.
    Meantime, here is a link to a point shooting home study course that I wrote several years ago:

http://kilogulf59.proboards.com/inde...lay&thread=114

Thank you for your replies. FYI there is a site called threatfocused forum that is specific to defense tactics and also provide point shoot advice. Very interesting.

Your page 47 about the 1/4 hip shot, i use something like it, as it was taught to me years ago called Quick Shot, AkA... Quick kill shot... aKa... Hip shot.

In police training they use a hip shot, You rest/lean the Weapon/butt/bottom of the magazine on the hip/top holster leaning slightly back and point upward towards your target's center mass. I wasn't crazy about this technic because grip and locking the wrist is awkward.

Working with professional people, i learned a version that brings the weapon up to the arm pit area, and shoot, and if needed... keep shooting while extending the arm outward while moving.

CCW people should take a course to learn the real tactics of gun fights, how to survive by moving, how/why point shooting will save their life, and then they my understand why just carrying a chamber weapon doesn't make them ready.

Good Luck with your courses.

Thanks.
    I prefer to have the base of the magazine pressed on my armpit area as well, since it gives a reference point and a greater margin of safety.
    My video goes into this position--as well as hip shooting--in great detail.

The FBI stated that 80% of all gunfights are very close affairs maybe 6 ft. or less therefore point shooting makes perfect sense.

Near contact shooting would be the order of the day for defense in 4 out of 5 cases.

If you extent your arm all the way out to fire when up close and personal there is a good chance that the BG can slap or knock your point of aim off target, and win the conflict.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    The FBI stated that 80% of all gunfights are very close affairs maybe 6 ft. or less therefore point shooting makes perfect sense.

Near contact shooting would be the order of the day for defense in 4 out of 5 cases.

If you extent your arm all the way out to fire when up close and personal there is a good chance that the BG can slap or knock your point of aim off target, and win the conflict.
    You are SO singing my song....
    Almost as if we are a duet...

I took a class in 'Point Shooting' last September and it was well worth the investment, in a 'situation' you'll never need the sights anyway.

Start here... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ss-review.html
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hey Y'all: Getting some good advice--now have to try some of it out. Two things stuck out to me. 1. Pointing with my finger as the barrel and then reexamining the target with my finger still pointing but only my dominant eye open (as if I am aiming) shows that as I point shoot, I am a little low and little to the left of target. Want to keep that in mind when I point shoot at the range. I assume that as I point, I should raise the barrel slightly and move it slightly to the right to adjust for difference--is that correct--seems to be. 2. Hip position for point shooting seems to make sense--quicker and more defensive and seems to be more stable with your arms tucked into your body. I guess the question is that I am only looking at the target and not even noticing the gun---I guess practice makes this better and more acceptable/comfortable. Interestingly, it was during target practice that I watched my shooting partners line up with their 9mms and take several seconds aiming before firing; my thought was "that may be great for targets but a slime will have it all over you if you think you can spend valuable seconds "aiming". When I target shoot it is with a 22 for target shooting. If I am going to waste shells with my 38 or 380, it is for defense and not target shooting--point shooting just seems to make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I took a class in 'Point Shooting' last September and it was well worth the investment, in a 'situation' you'll never need the sights anyway.

Start here... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ss-review.html
    7677 and myself have co taught several classes with Robin "Brownie" Brown and we find him a first class instructor and a heck of a nice guy.
    He just opened a gun shop in the Phoenix area and is currently very busy with that.
    Kelcarry--keep both eyes open and focus only on the spot that you want to hit.
    Let us know how you progress.

Thank you very much MT and those that responded. I will try some suggestions and see what happens. I am convinced that it is time for me to get on the point shoot bandwagon for my 38 and 380 and leave the target stuff for my 22s.

Point Shooting Instruction - Rayburn Law Enforcement Training

Been training with Mike Rayburn at the S&W shooting sports center. Best training dollar I've spent, the knowledge has been invaluable. If you carry for SD it's imperative that you have training in close quarter handgun.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links