Pay to play

Pay to play

This is a discussion on Pay to play within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not sure if this is the right area for this question, so moderators please move if necessary. I have been toying with the ...

Thread: Pay to play

Pay to play

I am not sure if this is the right area for this question, so moderators please move if necessary.

I have been toying with the idea if shooting IDPA to add some competition to my usual shooting and have a few questions about this.

1. I am not sure how many rounds are expanded during a normal IDAP match. How much does it cost on average to shoot one match with todays high ammo costs?

2. Do you feel that you get real life training that could be beneficial if you were faced with a life or death situation?

3. What are your overall impressions of the IDPA type of shooting?

Thank you all in advance for the help!

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right area for this question, so moderators please move if necessary.

I have been toying with the idea if shooting IDPA to add some competition to my usual shooting and have a few questions about this.

1. I am not sure how many rounds are expanded during a normal IDAP match. How much does it cost on average to shoot one match with todays high ammo costs?

2. Do you feel that you get real life training that could be beneficial if you were faced with a life or death situation?

3. What are your overall impressions of the IDPA type of shooting?

Thank you all in advance for the help!

Josh

1. Varies from club to club. One club might be 50 rounds one might be 100. I have 2 clubs locally . One is 50 per match ...one is 100.

2. Refer to this article.......http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ou-killed.html

3. refer to the article.....
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Do it! You won't be sorry. IDPA isn't the same as training, but it does offer (imo) quality practice. It will improve your ability to shoot faster and more accurately, and it's a whole lot of fun too. For $15-$15 match fee, I can forgive it for not being quite the training experience that SEAL Team Six's shoot-house is.

IDPA will imprint some habits on you, mostly good ones for "on the street" but not entirely. It should make you appreciate things like seeking cover, going to kneeling or prone, making sure you don't shoot things that shouldn't be shot. Above all it will condition you to function well with a gun under mild amounts of stress.

I'm all for training classes, but classes are only a one-time or a once-in-a-long while thing. IDPA and similar competitions are something you can do frequently, and inexpensively. Most indoor ranges and most clubs also won't let you practice things like drawing from a holster, drawing from concealment, shooting quickly, shooting while moving... these things are exactly what you do in an IDPA match!

The clubs here in Central FL usually run about 6-8 stages in a match, and usually a little under 100 rounds per match. There's not an exact figure, because some stages allow unlimited numbers of shots if you want.

Usually 4 - 8 stages. NO MORE THAN 18 rounds per stage - generally 6 - 12 per stage.

The timer definitely puts more stress on that just range practice.

It's a good sport to practice the basics of drawing, reloading, moving, use of cover and other skills. It is not a gun fight but OK practice plus you meet some knowledgeable shooters.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

What everyone has said. It is a lot better that what you are allowed to do on most all ranges and normally you get to do it at least once a month. I shoot USPSA which is more run and gun type courses of fire. The round count will usually be 24-to 32 rounds per stage. Both will teach good gun handling, reloading and other fundamentals, under pressure or stress (i.e. time). Not to mention you buddy will get a chance to make fun of you when you lose it and forget where you are on a stage or shoot the good guy.

But for the most part all the competitors are good people and all are willing to help the new guy. You can learn a lot just talking to them and will pick up good pointers you would have never thought about otherwise.

But like boxing or karate classes it will not be a street fight, but some of the things you learn will carry over to the street and will defiantly help. Any chance to practice at a higher level and burn ammo for a good cause will help.

Links