"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"

This is a discussion on "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The first time I ever heard this saying was six or seven years ago, even though I've lived the reality of this quote numerous times. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

The first time I ever heard this saying was six or seven years ago, even though I've lived the reality of this quote numerous times.

What are your thoughts or theories on this saying/phenomenon?

I still do the good deeds , I just expect to get kicked in the teeth every time .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Man's inhumanity to man knows no boundaries...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    I still do the good deeds , I just expect to get kicked in the teeth every time .
    LOL. Yeah, I think that sums it for me too. Part of the good deed is knowing that it costs you.

For every good deed, I'll get pack 10 fold! That's what I tell myself but the debt is building up.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Man this thread turned bitter real quick huh?

Yeah sometimes I have really regret times I have helped others. But it takes a man to continue to do good deeds. To not help others rots life around you. To not help others leads to lack of respect for others. The youth pick up on that easier then they would pick up that helping others is a good thing. These kids now days expect everything to be provided to them and many seem to never do good deeds because it’s inconvenient.

Just an example...Coming out of best buy I saw a young kid probably early teens cut in front of an older lady to get into the Panera bread store and did not even blink twice as the door slammed in the face of the poor woman. The smallest thing like cutting in front to hold the door open would have probably made all difference in that lady's day.

Administrator

Wink

Random Thought Of The Day:

It is always extremely important to differentiate between doing a "Good Deed" for another person and being an enabler.
    Though I see nothing wrong with doing random acts of pure kindness as long as that kind act is coupled with logical forethought as to the possible future ramifications should the deed backfire.

Roger....Here is another old saying for you that will fit right into this thread.

The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions.

When I do something for some one else I never expect or want anything in return. I enjoy the feeling of helping other and try to on a daily bases, if its only holding the door open at a gas station or letting some one that is stuck at a stop sign go in front of me.

I live in the south and it common practice to hold the door open for some one walking out or coming in behind you, but when I traveled to PA for New Years I found out how different people are. My buddy and I were at a ski/snowboarding slop and just came off the hill and as we walked to the door a young man walked right in front of us and slammed the door in our faces. To me that is one of the most disrespectful thing that can be done to someone.

This works for me...

The Paradoxical Commandments
    by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.

© Copyright Kent M. Keith 1968, renewed 2001
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Man this thread turned bitter real quick huh?
    Please forgive me - my comment wasn't intended to be intepreted as 'bitter', but I can easily see how one could take it that way, so I'd like to clarify;

There's a real element of pragmatism to my comment because I see too many folks get discouraged when they get kicked for doing good. The reality is that we live in a fallen world where things are not right now, but I believe that they'll be made right some day. Until that day, the good that we do is often the only good that is seen to offset the evil. We shouldn't look for immediate gratification, and honestly should not be surprised or discrouraged when we get kicked.

They don't call it 'The Good Fight' for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Roger....Here is another old saying for you that will fit right into this thread.

The Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions.
    Oh yeah that saying is absolutly true!!!!
    that should be said in every CCW class in the country.

Administrator

Post Recent Example Of: ~ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Ten Americans Charged With Child Trafficking in Haiti;
    Prime Minister Calls It 'Kidnapping'

Group Spokesperson:
    'We Were Just Trying to Do the Right Thing'

Ten Americans have been formally charged by Haitian authorities for what the prime minister called the "kidnapping" of Haitian children, the official told ABC News today.

Confusion abounds over stalled military airlifts for critically injured to U.S.

"They were arrested on the border with children that were not theirs and that they had no papers for those children," Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive told ABC News.
    "For me it's not Americans that were arrested, it was kidnappers that were arrested."

The 10 Baptist missionaries, mostly from an Idaho church group, said they were attempting to bring 33 Haitian children to an orphanage across the border in the Dominican Republic when they were arrested Friday night at a border crossing.

"We came here simply to help these children and we went to the border based on the approval of the Dominican government to take the children into the Dominican Republic and the pastor entrusting these precious children to our care because his orphanage collapsed and his churches collapsed, and he had nowhere for these children to go," the group's spokeswoman, Laura Silsby said.

"In this chaos the government is in right now, we were just trying to do the right thing," she said.

The Americans are being held in a police station near the airport at Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital, and have been visited by U.S. officials, according to a statement by the U.S. embassy in Haiti.

According to Bellerive, some of the children were not orphans and were asking about their parents.

Haitian officials contacted the American ambassador "to let them know that there was American citizens involved in kidnapping."

When asked about the charges against them, several in the group simply responded to ABC News, "Philippians 1."
    The first chapter of Philippians chronicles when the apostle Paul was in prison.

The detained Americans are the first to be charged in connection to child trafficking since the country's devastating earthquake on Jan.12.
    The quake reportedly affected around 3 million children, in many cases separating them from the their parents and leaving many vulnerable to traffickers.

"We have concerns about traffickers, we have concerns about pedophiles," State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said at a briefing last week. "We've seen a couple of cases of those in recent days.

So this is just something we are working collectively with those organizations that are actively trying to help children, people on the ground, be alert for this kind of danger."

wasn't there a story of the guy in europe that found the shotgun, turned it in then got arrested for possession? Basically because he "did the right thing"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmend View Post
    When I do something for some one else I never expect or want anything in return. I enjoy the feeling of helping other and try to on a daily bases, if its only holding the door open at a gas station or letting some one that is stuck at a stop sign go in front of me.

I live in the south and it common practice to hold the door open for some one walking out or coming in behind you, but when I traveled to PA for New Years I found out how different people are. My buddy and I were at a ski/snowboarding slop and just came off the hill and as we walked to the door a young man walked right in front of us and slammed the door in our faces. To me that is one of the most disrespectful thing that can be done to someone.
    yeah I think that kind of thing starts north of the VA line... That don't fly around here at least not normally.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    The saying, "no good deed goes unpunished," is about the same in meaning as,
    "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Life isn't fair. Read post 9 in this thread by miklcolt45, and keep on chuggin on the doing good part. The only thing that truly makes life worthwhile is, "healing the world," one tiny step at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links