My Point Shooting Video - Page 2

My Point Shooting Video

This is a discussion on My Point Shooting Video within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks!
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Senior Moderator
    Going forward is offensive.
    Retreating is defensive.
    Thats right.
    If someone wants to kill me, I want to kill them first.

Sometimes the best method is to take the lead ,get mean and nasty and CHARGE!

Lastly, fights are won with violent, offensive action
    Amen !
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats right.
    If someone wants to kill me, I want to kill them first.
    So running toward the BG is a smart thing?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Moderator
    If it results in a WIN it is.
    When they are close it may be the only way to survive.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Moving right in is sometimes the best tactic. In general though, I'd rather move laterally or diagonally rather than right at the guy.

I think the real issue in the video isn't moving right towards the bad guy, it's how close he ends up. By getting within arms reach, particularly with the gun extended out that far, he gives the BG the opportunity to turn this from a gun problem into a hand to hand problem. In particular, during the multiple target drill he gets awfully close to the second target before he's actually put any rounds into it. Now this comes with the caveat that I've only seen the clip, and the full DVD may put this into context better.

The first thing I notice was his forward movement towards the assailant as well. Works good for a stationary plastic target. But in reality, would a human's defensive mindset in a gunfight (life or death) make him move forward or backwards looking for cover? Plus, it's doubtful the BG would still stand upright for two in the stomach, two in the throat and two final rounds in the head. Maybe cop training of a double tap in center mass works better. Just a thought.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

My original thought when watching this was that it takes a long time to get it from your holster, extending your arm, and then shooting. I was taught by some LEOs that if you're going to point shoot, you might as well start right from the holster. That is, immediately upon getting it out of the holster, point it forward and start shooting as you extend your arm forward. Seems that would cut down on the time to double tap the stomach if you've already done that while extending the arm forward, allowing you to move on to the chest/neck immediately upon full extension.

Thoughts?

I agree with Blackeagle here - I DO believe that moving agggressively towards the attaker is a very valid tactical option, based on the circumstances (and happens to be what I do under stress - for better or worse) However the one handed shooting technique, arm fully extended, walking fully upright as shown in the video makes me nervous. Two hands to maintain control of the gun (both for accuracy and retention), using a retention possition and a combat stance to lower the center of gravity and allow for faster lateral movement should be a must for learning to fight like that. My opinion. Other wise I think its a good video with a good message.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

BlueJacket - One thing to consider also is that some times when people get shot, they dont even know it, other times the first round puts em down and out of hte fight. I think the practice of starting low and moving up could easily be applied to a person who reacts strongly to two shots in the gut - its just less distance to move the gun vertically!

SILO - Agree 100% you have to train yourself so that as your weapon clears your holster before you start to extend your arm that its pointed as nearly at the BG as possible.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    added it to my favorite list..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    The first thing I notice was his forward movement towards the assailant as well. Works good for a stationary plastic target. But in reality, would a human's defensive mindset in a gunfight (life or death) make him move forward or backwards looking for cover? Plus, it's doubtful the BG would still stand upright for two in the stomach, two in the throat and two final rounds in the head. Maybe cop training of a double tap in center mass works better. Just a thought.

Good point I was thinking the same thing.. some of his idea's would work up to a point..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Very well put.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    But in reality, would a human's defensive mindset in a gunfight (life or death) make him move forward or backwards looking for cover?
    This is the key phrase right here. If the fight is brought to you, then your mindset needs to switch from enjoying your previously uninterrupted day, to actively and offensively annihilating your attacker. Brutally, viciously and and with finality.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Thanks for the interest, gentlemen.
    The clip is from the first part of the video, which explains the basic concepts of fully extended one and two handed point shooting.
    I use this in my classes to keep seasoned shooters in their comfort zone while they are absorbing the point shooting concept--as well illustrating the speed and accuracy point shooting provides with minimal training/practice.
    Actually the first part of my classes--and the DVD--is to show the limitations of fully extended shooting, be it with one or two hands.
    The second part deals with the closer range methods, such as hip shooting, 3/4 hip, retention shooting, quick draw into hip shooting/zippering (which gets the muzzle on the bad guy within a heartbeat) and using unarmed combat in conjunction with shooting.
    I also show a drill--In Quartata--which shows how to move offline and then move in out and sideways from various angles.
    As I also state in the DVD that if the distance is very close ( as it usually is) and if cover is not an option ( due to the need for speed of action) then attacking the attacker is quite often your safest option.
    Just as an army unit is taught to attack an ambush in order to break it.
    Besides, while you are attempting to create distance (against a close range attacker) he may decide to charge you--which could lead to a nasty lesson in the advantages of going on the offensive.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    This is the key phrase right here. If the fight is brought to you, then your mindset needs to switch from enjoying your previously uninterrupted day, to actively and offensively annihilating your attacker. Brutally, viciously and and with finality.
    That truly is the key--one that is not generally understood.
    Mere technique will never be the deciding factor in a life or death battle.
    A "bad" tactic carried out with a brutal mindset will quite often defeat a "proper" tactic applied without killing intent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links