Carrying different guns & holsters for different situations.

This is a discussion on Carrying different guns & holsters for different situations. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that some people own a variety of handguns that they carry and carry them in different places depending upon how they are dressed, ...

Thread: Carrying different guns & holsters for different situations.

I know that some people own a variety of handguns that they carry and carry them in different places depending upon how they are dressed, etc. One issue that I see with that is you may try to draw a gun that’s not “there”. For example, if you normally carry on your waistline at 4 o’clock and now you decided to carry appendix (or where ever), chances are that you may go for the 4 o’clock due to “muscle memory”. In addition, you may not get a good grip on the gun because you “normally” carry something else. Not forgetting that if you normally carry a gun that doesn’t have a safety on it but the one that you are carrying today does, you may forget to disengage the safety and then not be able to use it, or, it may take you a few precious seconds to figure it out which could be the difference between life and death.

To complicate things even more is the variety of holsters you may be using. You need to have the same “type” of holster for every carry position for every gun. That way you don't have to worry about doing anything that you don't normally do when carrying in your primary location. Let’s say that you don’t have a retention lever on your normal carry holster, but one of them does for when you carry in a different location with a different gun. Do you really think that you will get the gun out and get it into the fight when you need it?

The reality of it is that if you carry in different locations with different guns and a variety of holsters, you may very well be setting yourself up for failure when trying to use a gun for self defense. IMHO, I’d say its best to stick to one as much as possible and carry in the same location as much as possible.

As always, train hard, train often, and most of all train realistically.
    Gun fighting is not a martial art. Your martial art should include “gun fighting”!

I use several different types of holsters, but usually with the same firearm. I have no problem remembering where I am going to be drawing from. My practice is not limited to one holster, and therefore, my muscle memory is not limited to one spot for firearm retrieval.
    If I decide to leave the Glock at home and take a pocket holster with a different firearm...I cannot perceive the inability to defend myself because I have forgotten that my revolver is in my pants/coat pocket, and not on my hip...I'm just sayin'...

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Beware the man with one gun." as the saying goes...
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I'm with you Ret, unless your stable of carry guns has an enormous variety of different types of guns, I don't see this being a huge issue. My carry guns go bang when I pull the trigger (I don't carry anything with an external safety), and I'm reminded frequently of the location of carry (3:30, front pocket, back pocket, coat pocket, ankle).
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I currently have three 4" semi-autos which all fit in my Bianchi Carry-lok, they also all fit in my Galco IWB, although I rarely carry IWB as that holster has no retention. I have 2 S&W snubbies which both fit the same retention holster. Retention on both holsters is released with the social finger.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Well, I can see the point you're trying to make, but it's a point lost on me. I do all of the above other than forget what I'm doing, and what with. There's really no need for me to explain everything here. I think I've been doing this long enough where there are no issues concerning my modus operandi. The schools of thought on this? Well, we all have different ideas because we're all different. Like I've always preached....carry is (and obviously should be) a life changing pursuit. We do it for survival, and with an intent to survive, and adapt to methods and means in order to do so. Granted...some more than others. You either get serious about it, or you don't. Survival usually dictates that we adapt to our environment. If we are not easily adaptable, that makes dealing with our environment more difficult. Things that are difficult in our lives are taken in one of two ways.....either they are a challenge to overcome, or they are looked at as a burden and then listed on the map as a detour. Adaption pretty much requires diversification.......viable options to meet the challenge as we see obstacles to our goals. Keeping things simple applies to a lot of things as the best method. But habits (good and bad) are hard to break. How easy is it to adapt to a new and different environment once you've made a habit of existing in the one you're in, or have been for a long time? Survival dictates we be modular and adaptable. Taking a hard line on a single means and/or a single method does keep things simple, but is it really in our best interest to do so concerning concealed carry? Or open carry for that matter. You know.....a lot of times, a person that knows many varieties of firearms and how they operate, has come out on top of a bad situation, or the wrong end of the stick just for knowing the conditions of the weaponry used by the enemy and thereby determining their ability (at the moment) to deploy that weapon, and what actions the enemy needs to make in order to do so? I say diversify when and if you are able. Not an immediate necessity, but something to work toward. Another goal if you will. Those who have won battles have gone in knowing there are no hard and fast rules...they adapt to changing conditions, and survive (some of them have become famous and made a lot of money also....sometimes they're selling their experiences to you and me). But the engagements are always different...methods are always different. That's why there are so many heros on the internet telling you that this or that is BS and their offering is the only course you'll ever need, and how to win a fight with your bare hands using only their method. Survival is not a game folks.....nobody has the true answer for what you'll need, and exactly how to do it when the time comes. That's impossible to predict. The more you learn through advice from others...the experienced (may be one time winners and telling you how they did it), the experts (how does an expert get to be an expert anyway?), books, DVDs, etc...........should be taken with an open mind, the knowledge that you are truly prepared to survive, learn from what's happened to others, and what you may possibly face in the future, attempt to think of every scenario and what or how you might play the cards you currently hold, and either hope for the best, or know you're ready to do everything possible to come out on top.
    The reality of it is that if you carry in different locations with different guns and a variety of holsters, you may very well be setting yourself up for failure when trying to use a gun for self defense. IMHO, I’d say its best to stick to one as much as possible and carry in the same location as much as possible.
    I would never knowingly set myself up for failure. Maybe good advice for some, but not all. I lack knowledge in a lot of things, and coming to terms with that, I wish to survive in order to learn the things I should. I'm not here to argue a point, and I'm not giving advice. I'm just looking at the other side of the coin. We'll all come together at the edge.

Agreeing (I think) with Ram Rod, the assumption that a life-defense situation involves a fast draw is dangerously simplistic. My best defense is not muscle memory, it's situational awareness. Part of the situation is where my weapon(s) may be. All options are available when I carry, but my preferred muscle response is to move legs rather than to draw arms.

I say diversify when and if you are able.
    I think that IF you train regularly and develop “muscle memory” (training your midbrain) then it might be an option. However, if you don’t train regularly, then stick to one gun in one location.

nobody has the true answer for what you'll need, and exactly how to do it when the time comes. That's impossible to predict.
    I will tell you that this is one of the truest statements I’ve heard anyone make and we say it all the time. When you train, you are only adding options to your toolbox. No one can guarantee anything and anyone who does guarantee certain results is misleading you plain and simple.

The more you learn through advice from others...the experienced (may be one time winners and telling you how they did it), the experts (how does an expert get to be an expert anyway?), books, DVDs, etc...........should be taken with an open mind, the knowledge that you are truly prepared to survive, learn from what's happened to others
    People with “experience” from situations don’t have the all the answers or maybe even good answers. Truthfully, maybe it was luck that kept them alive. Are there things that one can learn from their experience? Yes, but maybe it was their mindset and not their tactics that allowed them to survive. Or, maybe it is their insight on how things really went down and not how we have perceived them to in a fight.

Train hard, train often, and most of all train realistically.
    Gun fighting is not a martial art. Your martial art should include “gun fighting”!

Fight dirty, fight hard, fight fast. Use whatever you have to win. Stay in shape, practice basics and stay alert. Hammer, pencil, keys, cup, knife, gun, rock, bottle - plan to use them all plus anything else in the area. Be prepared for the unexpected. BG's are not going to challenge your sweet spot! AVOID!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I would like to add that maybe "one gun" isn't necessarily the answer, but instead try a "one gun system".

I.E. If your duty gun is a Sig Sauer P220 that uses the traditional DA/SA trigger system with a decocker, your off-duty gun could be a Sig P239, or maybe even a Walther P5, also a DA/SA with a decocker.

If you carry a Springfield XD as your primary carry gun, a small 1911 style .380 might not be a perfect back up gun or deep concealment gun for you, different operating systems, under stress will you remember to swipe off the thumb safety?

Just something to think about.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I have two carry guns, both are safetyless semi autos, so the trigger pulls and operation are similar. I pretty much carry in the same spot on the body no matter what, excepting for when I need deep concealment I go to the ankle holster, and I believe I would not forget about it.

Links