Deal with the round house first - Page 2

Deal with the round house first

This is a discussion on Deal with the round house first within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mercop We also do a Shank Defense that is most likely going to begin after you have already taken at least one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    We also do a Shank Defense that is most likely going to begin after you have already taken at least one to the kidney. Being stabbed does not mean you just lay down and die. The first rule is not to get cut, the second rule is to get cut as little as possible. Sometimes being punched in the face, shot or stabbed will be what starts the fight. You either have the head to survive or you don't, it cannot be trained into you. Unlocked? Yes. Trained into you? No. - George
    Good stuff here, George. The right fighting mindset is one of the toughest things to get into people, especially our younger people. They've spent their lives getting the aggression slowly whittled out of them and now we're expected to work the opposite and get them ready to defend themselves with that same aggression.

I have a yellow belt (second rank) in my class that I work with now and again and I'm having a really hard time getting him to hit me during our drills. He's a great kid but he keeps purposefully coming up short, punching off-center of the target, or generally being a wuss about it. Drives me nuts because he doesn't even react to me simply standing there with a blank look as he tosses an ineffectual attack at me because I know I'm out of range or it will otherwise miss me.

I'm a 6' 3" 240 lbs monster and I'm trying to drill into him before I take off that he needs to wreck a guy like me, and fast(!), because if I get my mitts on him, it's going to be a really bad night at the office.

Why do people go on and on about how nobody get's in their "bubble". C'mon, be serious. I know everyone is Teddy Tactical but do you automatically go into your Karate kid position when someone walks up to you?

A common robbery tactic is to just walk up and punch someone and take their s@!t.

Another interesting reaction is that when you press preople their hands go out to the sides. If they have a knife they will slash, if they are open handed they will throw a round house.

If you think that carrying a gun and attempting to stay the magical 21 feet away from someone will keep you from getting punched in the face you need to reevaluate things.- George
    I was not talking about everyday activity. It is when you are in a situation when you believe there to be a likely chance of an altercation. Most people that train in different self defense disciplines are taught how to look for potential gestures and posturing. I work with felons everyday and am in several altercations a month, so I know a little about it. Why do people always feel they must be critical of someone elses comments, or make fun of someone elses responses? Most altercations start as verbal and escalate from there,so you can see the potential for trouble. Noone was talking about robbery tactics or acting like an idiot in the supermarket. I mean, come on guys, really.

Anyone can be blind sided. I apologize if you took offense at my comments. Against open hand, impact, and edged weapon attacks there are two places to be- a mile away or well within arms distance. Contact means control.- George

I am Iraq and the base I am at use to have a shared media server which contained movies, TV shows etc. One of the movies was "Ghetto Brawls" and one thing I learned watching that movie was that not only are the majority of first punches "round houses" but often the combatants stood there flailing at each other like a couple of windmills with their heads turned. RARELY were the combatants engaged in "boxing", mostly grappling, shirt pulling and wild swings.

This "movie" contained dozens of brawls and it did show many fights started with the old fake turn to talk to a buddy standing behind him and a big ole round house hay maker; stepping forward and standing with feet wide spread inviting a step in and and knee to the 'nads if one were expecting it.

I will have to look up the movie, I think I had a cameo:)

Anyone can be blind sided. I apologize if you took offense at my comments. Against open hand, impact, and edged weapon attacks there are two places to be- a mile away or well within arms distance. Contact means control.- George
    What you say is very true, and no, I did not really take offense, per say. I was just trying to input from my observations and experiance. The thing with the people we are all trying to protect ourselves from is they are all predators and oppurtunists. Alot of times in situations that turn physical, some word exchanges and posturing has taken place. It is at this time that this type of person will size you up and decide if he can impose his will on you, because they all have the same mindset which is control thru either intimidation or physical manipulation. This is where our fight or flight instincts should kick in if we have the proper awareness. With unarmed combat training, we learn to recognize this and anticipate the attack. For instance, the sucker punch, or the lapel grab, or even someone attempting to shoot in. Another aggressive act I have seen is the get in their face and push. Proper training and practice against these acts of aggression through technique training helps to build confidence to recognize and neutrlize these behaviors. Now, it is for sure that if we do not expect an attack, it is almost impossible to be ready for it. And deadly force is not always warranted in these situations. That is why I always carry a nonlethal option when possible. Self defense in its true application is not a stand up, toe-to-toe fight, rather it is a neutrlize the attack and get away if possible. Nothing wrong with a tactical retreat if you can. But if you cannot and you are ccdw, you have an ugly situation on your hands, because you have an obligation to protect that weapon. At that point, elbows, knees, groin strikes and eye gouges should used liberally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links