Deal with the round house first

This is a discussion on Deal with the round house first within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before worrying about which gun or knife to carry, or dealing with edged weapon attacks, multiple opponents, or worse yet Ninjas, we need to first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deal with the round house first

Before worrying about which gun or knife to carry, or dealing with edged weapon attacks, multiple opponents, or worse yet Ninjas, we need to first be able to deal with the round house punch.

The round house, ghetto whopper, hay maker, or whatever you want to call it is the most common first strike in the majority of fights. Some people actually have it in their head that they are willing to take on of these and then will do something. They are kidding themselves.

We get a wide variety of folks in classes. In a very short time we need to desensitize and inoculate them to a certain level of violence. Early on in classes everyone dons headgear and I give them a light shot to the side of the head from a boxing glove to ring their bell a bit. After being shown how to suppress or redirect a powerful round house punch, it is time for the helmet and boxing gloves again. This time the student with the boxing glove is told to do their best to knock the other students head off their shoulders with a round house punch. You may end up with anyone else in the class hitting you, or you hitting them. The first couple of times the person doing the hitting is reluctant to swing full force for fear of hurting their partner. After some motivation they actually swing for the fences. Seldom does anyone take anything more then a glancing blow. The confidence this gives the student in themselves and the technique is awesome to see. From this point we can move on.

The basics done well are what makes you advanced.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I did not know this, but I wish all fights started with a roundhouse punch. I'm no expert martial artist or anything, but I think the roundhouse is just about the slowest and least deceptive punch you could throw at someone. Not too hard to step into or away from and with so much force behind it, it'd be tempting to go for a throw.

Mic
    Key is not to let anyone get that close to you, if they do the fight is half lost
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Unfortunately in urban society people get within 2 steps of you a lot more than you might want to admit.....

And George...you know some people carry guns so they don't HAVE to learn how to fight....

In most every state in the union you cannot shoot someone for just punching you. So it is IMPERATIVE that people (ESPECIALLY those carrying guns) know at least a little bit about defending themselves with their hands.

In fact it is probably best if they learn that FIRST so they have a good solid foundation in action versus reaction and distance intervals before they start trying to plug weapons into problems at inappropriate times......
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I did not know this, but I wish all fights started with a roundhouse punch. I'm no expert martial artist or anything, but I think the roundhouse is just about the slowest and least deceptive punch you could throw at someone. Not too hard to step into or away from and with so much force behind it, it'd be tempting to go for a throw.
    Safest way is to step in and jam it with a vertical forearm. Most other techniques take up space you might not have and the distance between you and your attacker is pretty much always there as haymakers tend to almost universally be thrown with a step forward with the striking-side leg.

Besides, jamming it up like this opens up a huge toolbox of techniques you can throw in their face for their trouble that, again, don't take up extra space you might not have.
    Last edited by psychophipps; February 16th, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: clarification

That is what I like about traditional chinese kenpo. You would just as soon fight someone in a phonebooth, er remember those? Also it teaches never to let anyone enter your critical distance area, which if they do despite your attempts to stop them, is the time for offensive action on your part. No one should ever be able to strike you first.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    That is what I like about traditional chinese kenpo. You would just as soon fight someone in a phonebooth, er remember those? Also it teaches never to let anyone enter your critical distance area, which if they do despite your attempts to stop them, is the time for offensive action on your part. No one should ever be able to strike you first.
    Soo...you're saying that you don't spend a lot of time in supermarkets?

All joking aside, Kempo has proven to be a good system, in my experience, except for one example chain I ran into in Madison, WI.

Why do people go on and on about how nobody get's in their "bubble". C'mon, be serious. I know everyone is Teddy Tactical but do you automatically go into your Karate kid position when someone walks up to you?

A common robbery tactic is to just walk up and punch someone and take their s@!t.

Another interesting reaction is that when you press preople their hands go out to the sides. If they have a knife they will slash, if they are open handed they will throw a round house.

If you think that carrying a gun and attempting to stay the magical 21 feet away from someone will keep you from getting punched in the face you need to reevaluate things.- George

VIP Member
    'Concur mercop. The only times that I've ever been hit, (it wasn't a round house) but it was always a sucker-punch. I never saw it coming.

Since then, my SA has come a long way, but it still doesn't allot for the person in my space while my guard is down. Suggestions? ;-)

Lead Moderator
    Learning to take a hit and function is a very good way to train, however alot of people just don't want to do this. Even with protective equipment some are still scared of being struck.
    I can say first hand this type of training is very useful .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Concur mercop. The only times that I've ever been hit, (it wasn't a round house) but it was always a sucker-punch. I never saw it coming.

Since then, my SA has come a long way, but it still doesn't allot for the person in my space while my guard is down. Suggestions? ;-)
    Do some research on Geoff Thompson and "The Fence".
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Rocky, I agree. With time you become much more aware of your surrounding and are able to feel what is going on. Sometimes something as minor and getting your shoulders up is enough to keep you in the fight vs being knocked out.- George

A sucker punch is the worst. someone tried that on me, so I got mad and broke his hand with my right eye! Actually, this was true! Dude broke his hand, and I had a gleaming shiner! ouch! That pretty much was it, thank God. He was bigger and definetly a lot stronger than me. Apparently his hand was pretty bad.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

VIP Member
    Actually, glad you brought this one up Mercop. Psychochips initial suggestion sounds like Krav; vertical block and combative counters.

So, we played a bit with this sort of scenarios today at my lesson. Returning a jab from the same side and lifting and elbow to deflect also works, as do: a) a traditional Arnis block-check-counter; b) krav style head/face protection then use the elbow to trap.

The big problem of course is what Mercop was driving at. These things are almost always sucker punches. You don't see them till your lights are out.

Mercop wrote: "After being shown how to suppress or redirect a powerful round house punch," which of course you can do IF you get even a split second's inkling that it is coming. The one time I was assaulted, I never knew it was coming. Neither a gun nor the MA techniques studied recently would have helped it happened so explosively and unexpectedly.

We also do a Shank Defense that is most likely going to begin after you have already taken at least one to the kidney. Being stabbed does not mean you just lay down and die. The first rule is not to get cut, the second rule is to get cut as little as possible. Sometimes being punched in the face, shot or stabbed will be what starts the fight. You either have the hear to survive or you don't, it cannot be trained into you. Unlocked yes, trained into you know.- George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links