Looking for an instructor: FL

This is a discussion on Looking for an instructor: FL within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I live in West Palm Beach, Florida and I am looking for an instructor to teach myself and my wife proper shooting techniques. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an instructor: FL

Looking for an instructor: FL

Hey everyone,
    I live in West Palm Beach, Florida and I am looking for an instructor to teach myself and my wife proper shooting techniques. We have owned our guns for about four months and have been to the range but would like to learn how to hit the target. I have a S&W M&P 9C and she has a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. We are looking for someone that we can spend an hour or so with to really learn how to stand, sight, shoot, etc... We really want to learn the basics so we can build from there. If anyone on the forum knows someone that is a really good instructor in my area, please let me know.
    Thanks for your help.
    David

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'll do it for a plane ticket

I'm sure there is somebody here that can help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

Miggy needs to come out of hiding.
    "Just blame Sixto"

call Robin Brown -he is havinga class in Clermont Florida which is absolutely superb. PM me for the number.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Plus 1 for Robin Brown.
    Here is his website:
    http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/index.php

I would suggest NRA Basic Pistol (BP) or NRA First Steps Pistol (FSP), for what you've described. Either of those classes would teach you to shoot with the proper fundamentals of grip, shooting position, trigger control, etc. That might be better for you than jumping into a more advanced defensive shooting class which assumes you already have the fundamentals down.

BP is 8 hours and covers revolvers and semi-autos; First Steps Pistol is 4 hours and covers less material and has less shooting. FSP might be the thing for you, since you already have your own handguns and don't necessarily need to learn about revolvers at this point. FSP usually costs less too. :)

This link will let you search for NRA classes near your town or zip code:
    http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

I'm going to Trusted Armament in Jupiter...

Hi there... I'm in your area and am scheduled to take a NRA First Steps Pistol (the NRA intro 4 hour version) class with Jim Stephens of Trusted Armament....Personal Defense Firearms & Training in Jupiter Florida later this week. I will let you know how this goes.

I looked at a number of instructors in the area before choosing him. I'm new to guns so am not sure my reasons for choosing him would be the same as yours.

It appeared to me that most folk around here give a short (2 hours or less) CCW permit-specific training class, and that 98% of the time they are not instructors but gun dealers. Those classes are all pretty bargain-basement priced, ranging from $50 + range time and ammo t $75 including range time and ammo. While the prices were attactive, I decided I wanted a little bit more than just the legal minimum for getting my permit.

The NRA training website shows two local instructors -- Jim Stephens and another guy, who give NRA training classes.

I had run across Mr. Stephens' website in my efforts to find and price my first self-defense weapon. I read everything he had to say, went up for a look-see, and we spent one afternoon talking to him about everything under the sun (gun related) and I decided that he was the guy I wanted to train me. He is seasoned and his primary business is training. He is a dealer, yes, but day in day out what he does is train folk to defend themselves.

Jim offers a wide variety of instruction, both classes and and one-on-one (his primary method of instructon) and these can be 4 hours (the basic pistol and CCW permit training) or 10 hours (a full run-down of the "basics", also CCW permit training), and then a whole array of continuing NRA training. He's not cheap by a long shot. And... it appears most of his business is folk best described as "rich, famous, likely able to and employing bodyguards." Don't know if that's relevant (it wasn't to me), but its there if it helps.

The 4 hour class, if offered on a one-to-one basis, runs about $500 and may or may not be difficult to schedule. I'll be taking it in an actual class, which costs less than half that but I've had to wait quite a while for one to come around.

Hope that helps!

Having found and met and spent 2 hours talking to Jim Stephens, "the other guy" didn't really make it onto my radar screen. If money is at issue, he appears to cost a fair amount less than Jim. IIRC, about $89 for his CCW permit class.
    Last edited by merischino; February 21st, 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: proper naming of class I'm taking

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post

Jim offers a wide variety of instruction, both classes and and one-on-one (his primary method of instructon) and these can be 4 hours (the basic pistol and CCW permit training) or 10 hours (a full run-down of the "basics", also CCW permit training), and then a whole array of continuing NRA training. He's not cheap by a long shot. And... it appears most of his business is folk best described as "rich, famous, likely able to and employing bodyguards." Don't know if that's relevant (it wasn't to me), but its there if it helps.

The 4 hour class, if offered on a one-to-one basis, runs about $500 and may or may not be difficult to schedule. I'll be taking it in an actual class, which costs less than half that but I've had to wait quite a while for one to come around.

Holy cow! I need to come out of retirement and be a "trainer"...$500 for 4 hours??!!?? Now THAT is some serious moola! And even at "half" the price...whew!! I'm in the wrong place. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    Plus 1 for Robin Brown.
    Here is his website:
    Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    +1
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Kind of short notice but I'll be in North Fla doing our Intro to Defensive Pistol class this weekend.....February 26, 2010 - Introduction to Defensive Pistol - Crestview, FL

And our Force on Force class.........February 27-28, 2010 - Force on Force Gunfighting - Crestview, FL
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Holy cow! I need to come out of retirement and be a "trainer"...$500 for 4 hours??!!?? Now THAT is some serious moola! And even at "half" the price...whew!! I'm in the wrong place. JMO
    Yes, I have to admit to sticker shock myself.

And, for clarity/to be fair, I have to say that (recognizing I have not yet taken the class) I discovered some disparity between Jim's published prices online and what he actually charges when you are there forking over the moola.

Finally took the class - NRA First Steps Pistol

...by the time I actually got to the class, I had either taught myself or been taught by my boyfriend almost everything the class had to offer. Still worth it, if just for the certificate and eligibilty/qualification to go apply for my CCW.

That said, I really did like Jim. He had an annoying tendency during the first hour to intersperse his coursework with advertisements for his other NRA certified training classes. After the first hour this sort of wore off.

I had picked up my pistol, a Glock 22, the day before, shot 50 rounds through it and disassembled it and cleaned it the night before. Jim was surprised I'd come with a gun, and spent a good bit of time inspecting both it and my cleaning job. He then asked a few pertinent questions and then showed me a 'trade secret' in how he has set himself up for the gun cleaning portion of his work. He has a huge arsenal of guns, and has it set up to clean each in less than 5 minutes. When I got home to and told K about all this (K is a huge traditionalist who, on any given topic not just guns, believes that the way they did it back when is how we should all do things today) he said he likes spending an hour on his piece when he gets home from the range. Me, I've bought myself a bore snake and besides that had all the right supplies for the quick cleaning, just not the ideas.

Back to Jim's class. We went over all the parts of your average guns, revolver to pistol. We went over your various kinds of misfires and why they happen. Went over dis-assembling and reassembling my gun, and what all the parts are. We went over the NRA 6 fundamentals of shooting. Then we took off for the range where I had to demonstrate my ability to put those safety and performance rules into action.

It was an excellent review of my self-taught knowledge by a professional. He also had a great eye and was able with little effort to see and correct me where necessary.

I also appreciated an after-the range review of the cleaning scenario and his unsolicited but welcome comments regarding the availability and usefulness of non-branded cleaning supplies. aka, get your solvent from home depot, don't buy it from a gun dealer/range owner/gun specialty store.

All in all, though, it was basically just a very, very expensive class. In retrospect, as much as I liked the instructor, I'd much have preferred to have spent 3/4 of that money on ammunition and target practice with my new gun.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

As long as you were happy/satisfied with your "bang for the buck", then who am I to "Monday morning quarterback" the price. I encourage you to continue to build upon that basic class and train train train. Good Luck!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Merischino,
    That was a great review. Thanks for all that input. I found out that Invictus down in Boynton has classes as well. It is one class but it is for both peope with concealed permits already and without. I don't really want to sit through another concealed class, but if it covers many more things than the class that I took, I will do it. I spoke with Pat and he said they cover alot as far as proper sighting, trigger pull, how to hold the gun properly etc... Sounded pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    call Robin Brown -he is havinga class in Clermont Florida which is absolutely superb. PM me for the number.
    Dwyer,
    Thanks for the info, but Clermont is pretty far from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links