Turning the Corner and Driving the Gun

This is a discussion on Turning the Corner and Driving the Gun within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Driving the Gun As all of my students know, I am big on linear draw strokes. The reason for this is the outstanding efficiency, effectiveness, ...

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

Driving the Gun

As all of my students know, I am big on linear draw strokes. The reason for this is the outstanding efficiency, effectiveness, and accuracy that is achieved by driving the gun to the focal point, in a straight line. This leads to the very best situation possible to give you the very best eye/hand coordination possible. Working in straight lines means that the aim has achieved the exact linear path as early as possible.

Driving the gun in a straight line eliminates any chance of over travel......that is as long as you drive the gun with the ability to accelerate and deccelerate with no tuning fork effect when you hit your extension. This is one of the main reasons that I never extend out to full extension. I use a braking type action before I get to full extension to reduce the tuning fork effect.

Turning the Corner

Turning the corner is the term that I use to explain the transition from the linear "up" out of the holster, to the linear "out" directly to the targeted area. When we look at the solid science of the training of the recent past, it works in perfectly with the combat proven skill set used by the "old timers" called elbow up/elbow down (EU/ED.) Both methods have us "turning the corner" in an extremely compressed amount of time and space. Whether it is a "high pectoral" two handed draw stoke or the "right off of the top of the holster" one handed EU/ED draw stroke, each method has us "turning the corner" as quickly as possible. This allows the gun to be driven directly to the targeted area without any arcing.

Arcing can lead to under travel and over travel.

When we are talking about the extreme difficulties of gauranteeing the first hit out of the dynamic movement drawstroke (thirteen things in one second), it would seem wise to make your "drive" to the target as efficient as possible. "Turning the corner" as quickly as possible will facilitate this efficiency.

I am sure there will be no surprise that I advocate an inclusive, fluid, draw stroke continuum that is dictated by the situation. When I discuss the draw stroke continuum, I am talking about one simple concept that covers the full array of possible draw stokes. I often joke about having 469 different draw strokes just to freak out the "Keep it stupid simple" crowd.

One simple concept covers every single draw stroke that you could possibly need. Follow the caveman thinking here, "ugh....point the gun at the bad guy as quickly as possible......ugh." This covers "the perfect balance of speed and accuracy." It covers "the perfect balance of to hit and to not be hit." It works perfectly within the reactionary/time/distance/retention/movement/sight/grip&trigger continuums.

This is not rocket science and does not need to be dumbed down. It just needs to be fluid and allow you to be the very best that you can be no matter what the situation is.

Turning the corner is a concept that can be applied to your draw stroke no matter what height the draw stroke is or what skill level of a shooter you are.

When it comes to the basic fundamentals of marksmanship, I tend to use and to teach a high pectoral draw stroke. It was the way that I was taught and lends itself to the solid science of the linear draw stroke. It does a very good job of introducing neewbies to the eye/hand coordination of driving the gun. It also fits in very well with the pectoral indexed retention position and SUL.

But this is an entry level skill set.

Once you begin working past the basics of marksmanship and begin to work "the perfect balance of speed and accuracy" the turning of the corner begins to happen lower and lower. This is a very natural learning progression. You have refined the eye/hand coordination to the point that you do not need to drive the gun from the high pecoral. It drops from high pectoral, to the low pectoral, to the abdomen, to right off of the top of the holster. This advanced skill set, fluidity, and well roundedness is where we need to be if we want to be the very best that we can be inside of any given situation.

The situation dictates the best response......not your pet technique.

The ability to efficiently and effectively drive the gun from any height of the draw stroke is the advanced application of a fluid draw stroke.

The height that my body picks to drive the gun from is all dictated by time/distance/position in the reactionary curve/necessary retention/necessary speed/necessary visual input of the entirity of the encounter/and necessary marksmanship. And yes, my body picks it at the subconscious level. I know what I need and I know what my body likes.........I allow it to do what it wants to do. I allow it because I know myself to have very good instincts and I will take my instincts over conditioned responses the vast majority of the time.

Where I turn the corner at is dictated by where I am driving the gun to and the necessary speed of getting there.

"Turning the corner" is a solid concept for many of us. But there are no hard rules in gunfighting. I have trained with a number of "old timers" that "arc" there way throughout their entire draw stroke. If the perfect balance of speed and accuracy is there, I tend to just leave them alone. Most of these guys have been using a "half circle" drawstroke for over a half of a century and some things are best just left alone.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

But, if you are using a linear draws stroke, there are plenty of way to make it more efficient and effective.

A Common Sense Learning Progression
    Five count draw stroke
    Four count draw stroke
    Three count draw stroke
    Elbow up/elbow down
    The ability to drive the gun directly to the focal point in the most efficient and effective manner as possible....no matter what the situation is.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Thats the way I learned how to draw, up and out or up or back if its really tight quarters. Much easier to quickly acquire a target too.

Links