UGLY Negligent Discharge in Orlando (Merged) - Page 3

UGLY Negligent Discharge in Orlando (Merged)

This is a discussion on UGLY Negligent Discharge in Orlando (Merged) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mercop NRA Instructor Rule #1 NO LIVE AMMO IN THE CLASSROOM Another one of those "trained professional experts" with the backing (but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UGLY Negligent Discharge in Orlando (Merged)

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    NRA Instructor Rule #1 NO LIVE AMMO IN THE CLASSROOM
    Another one of those "trained professional experts" with the backing (but not the supervision) of the NRA that make us all look like idiots, thanks!
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

This was not the first time something's gone wrong during a gun demonstration in Orlando. In 2004, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration shot himself in the thigh with a .40-caliber Glock pistol while talking to schoolchildren about gun safety."
    OK kids this is how you safely handle a firearm, first check to see if it's unloaded...BANG!!....MY THIGH!!!! (kids laughing historically)

Just another reason why "trained expert/professional" is just a slang term to me...
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Really?......For how long?

The AD or ND whatever you want to call it was unfortunate but do you guys really think he should lose his CCW permit?
    I would agree with having it revoked until the guy can prove that he had gone through some number of remedial training hours. After the AD and some remedial training he will probably be more careful with his firearm than anyone here as he's had the beegeezus scared out of him.
    Not his CCW, his Instructor Permit for LIFE!!!!!
    ☣ James ☠
    XDm-9mm Bi-Tone 3.8 (CC)
    XD-45ACP Bi-Tone (Duty)
    XD-40 Sold
    Glock 22 Sold
    S&W Model 629 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    OK kids this is how you safely handle a firearm, first check to see if it's unloaded...BANG!!....MY THIGH!!!! (kids laughing historically)

Just another reason why "trained expert/professional" is just a slang term to me...
    LOL, that would be a sight to see.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    +1 for sure.

What an idiot.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    "We won't be having anything like that in our church in the future," Lawley said.

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.
    Last edited by ppkheat; February 22nd, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Yep, he just lost his cert........as well he should.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Agreed 110%

Before I leave my house to teach a class, I check all guns being used. When I arrive for class, I recheck the guns. When my assistant arrives, she checks the guns. When class starts, I ask all students if anyone has live ammo. I check any guns that the students bring in. Then I ask at least 2 students to check my guns to ensure no live ammo. When we return from breaks, I ask again if anyone has any live ammo. When I am not using my gun at the moment, its sits next to me with the action open. When I pick it up to demo something, I look, feel and look again for live ammo.

Its simply a matter of repeating safe acts over and over so that mistakes like this do not happen.

To me, this rule is part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Attempting to establish a sterile environment, where all guns are 'safe' encourages careless gunhandling. That carelessness can lead to tragedy when ammo ends up in the supposedly sterile environment.

This instructor was probably so used to operating in a 'sterile' environment that he assumed the gun was empty, failed to check, then handled it carelessly.

Didnt break any bones??? Shot in the foot?

How did he NOT hit a bone in the foot. I'm not sure if I should call this a good shot or bad!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    To me, this rule is part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Attempting to establish a sterile environment, where all guns are 'safe' encourages careless gunhandling. That carelessness can lead to tragedy when ammo ends up in the supposedly sterile environment.

This instructor was probably so used to operating in a 'sterile' environment that he assumed the gun was empty, failed to check, then handled it carelessly.

When I took a course with the NRA instructor... anytime he showed what NOT to do the blue gun came out. Anytime he picked up a real gun he racked the slide, looked inside and checked the chamber before dropping the slide.

My CCW course had airsoft guns CLEARLY marked with orange paint whenever they showed things to do and not to do. There was CO2 to operate the slide but no BB's and never pointed it at students. They even racked the slide on the airsoft gun several times in the course just from habit
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar

sorry....that is about as liberal a statement as i can think of...sterile environment or not the basic rules apply...if a gun store salesman pulls an unloaded gun out of a case...racks the slide and shows me an unlioaded firearm i rack the slide again after its handed to me and confirm its unloaded...sometimes i will hand it back with the slide locked back...

when it comes to guns we dont make assumptions...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    Didnt break any bones??? Shot in the foot?

How did he NOT hit a bone in the foot. I'm not sure if I should call this a good shot or bad!
    I read that the round went through the table first, could have been fragments that hit his foot, rather than an intact bullet.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

To me, this rule is part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Attempting to establish a sterile environment, where all guns are 'safe' encourages careless gunhandling.
    Good point, in the sense that having a real gun promotes the possibility of forgetting to validate no ammo is in the gun. Trouble is, failure means ND and the threat of injury.

"Blue" guns do have their place, as Razor mentions.

With a training gun, there is no additional risk of failure to confirm clear, failure to maintain muzzle or trigger control. In a sense, that also promotes laxity in those areas, but it does remove the threat of ultimate failure (ND) if that case arises.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    sorry....that is about as liberal a statement as i can think of...sterile environment or not the basic rules apply...if a gun store salesman pulls an unloaded gun out of a case...racks the slide and shows me an unlioaded firearm i rack the slide again after its handed to me and confirm its unloaded...sometimes i will hand it back with the slide locked back...

when it comes to guns we dont make assumptions...
    When it comes to guns we shouldn't make assumptions. The reality is that people do, especially when they try to make distinctions between 'safe' guns and unsafe guns, or 'safe' environments and unsafe environments.

The reality is that guns are dangerous implements that need to be treated with respect. Attempts to make them 'safe' end up diminishing that vital respect, which far to often leads to tragedies like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links