lasers

lasers

This is a discussion on lasers within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does putting a laser on your weapon really help you with your shot and does red or green really matter...

Thread: lasers

lasers

Does putting a laser on your weapon really help you with your shot and does red or green really matter

They help from a training aspect but lasers (IMHO) have no place on a defensive handgun.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I disagree. I don't use lasers, but have used them in the military at night.

Lasers require training. If you plan on using a laser for defensive situations, you need to practice with it. It's simply another way to sight in. Iron sights can be slow, especially at night. Lots of people advocate point shooting in defensive situations. A laser can augment that. You can keep your focus on the target and know where your gun is pointed. It can also take a little while to acquire the dot on the target though, which is another reason for training.

Green is more easily picked up by the human eye than red. If I were to get a laser, I'd use a green one.

FTR, I have no experience using a laser without NVGs, so I've always been able to see the entire beam, which makes it real easy to track, and I've only used it on aircraft mounted .50 cals

I think it's just a matter of preference.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    if the sights on the gun suck then yeah a laser can help a lot. It also helps in dry fire training. Lasers are a good idea IMO as long as you can afford good ones.

The way to train with a laser is to point in the general direction and put the dot on the BG... it matters less about where you lodge a bullet and more about geting a shot off in less then ideal circumstances. Not everyone is a trained point shooter.

IMHO

A lot of people have pre concieved notions that people with lasers fumble to turn the laser on and then take too long to look for the dot... usually its the people that don't have a laser or don't want to spend the moo-lah to get one.

Truth is that if you point the gun at the BG the laser will be a reference, the last bit of confidence you may need to pull the trigger knowing the bullet will hit the BG.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    They help from a training aspect but lasers (IMHO) have no place on a defensive handgun.
    Solidly agree here. The laser gives you great feedback between where your gun was aimed when the hammer fell and where it ultimately hit the target, which is great for correcting problems in training. In a real-life defensive scenario the risk is great that you end up "chasing the dot" instead of relying on your training to get the gun aligned properly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    There is a sister thread on "point shooting". A laser is just another tool along with adequate sights and point shooting as a means for defending yourself. Leaving aside military uses, which a previous poster mentioned, and distances greater than 20 ft a laser just becomes another tool and is not IMO the be all and end all tool for defensive shooting. Read the thread on point shooting for more info.

The Crimson Trace Laser on my M&P357Sig allows me to draw and fire 4-5 shots high center chest on a stationary B-27 Target in 1-2seconds. I could probably do the same with the standard sights but most deadly confrontations take place in low light situations and the laser is a big big advantage to getting hits on target in a deadly encounter like I just described.

I like them on my sharks, not my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I like them on my sharks, not my guns.
    You know, I've been thinking of Dr. Evil doing air quotes every time I read the title of this thread.

I think any one that discounts a tool to help you engage a target is acting foolishly.

A laser is NOT: a primary sighting mechanism
    A laser is: a tool that you need to train with to be able to use it properly. It is a part of a well rounded SD gun.

You have to be able to shoot with sights and without, with light and with out - you just dont know what situation you will be in. You may have time to line up your sights and take a well aimed shot while standing face to face with your target, I wouldn't count on it. You may have to take a shot while taking fire and trying to stay behind cover. What if that is in low light? It sure would be nice to have a laser you have trained with!

- at the end of the day a laser is another tool, it costs money and can force you to change holsters and your grip or the balance of the gun - its up to you if the cost of the tool is worth it. No different than a weapon light. You dont always need one, but it sure would be nice to have the option.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Good reply by usmc3169 and others. I think some of this laser stuff has to do with very good marketing that magnifies the "need" for some to purchase it--not that there is anything wrong with having a laser--it, as mentioned by most repliers including myself, is a great tool particularly for practice and as a potential device for defense--just remember that close in means fractions of a second, which is the time it takes to acquire the target via laser. Even in the dark, you still have to find the target before the laser serves its purpose. kIndly remember that statistics indicate that if you are CC, you probably will never fire your gun in defense, and if you do, it will be within 5 ft. Read, as I said before, the thread point shoot vs aimed for a lot of discussion.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    There are a lot of things not needed for the typical CCW. Lasers, night sights, grips, mag button or grip extensions, large capacity, or big calibers... Its all about making your chances of survival better. Statistics may dictate that you may never use your gun in self defense but IMO if I ever need to I want to be equipped with the best equipment I can afford.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LtSnakeDoc View Post
    Does red or green really matter
    Green will seem a lot easier to see and a lot brighter (the red and green lasers are actually putting out the same power). Also green will be more expensive since it is more complicated to make.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sponsored Links