free combat hand gun class to G I's at Ft. Huachuca

This is a discussion on free combat hand gun class to G I's at Ft. Huachuca within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; March 18th Class from SFC (RET) Dan Southard one of Mas Ayoob's Level Three instructors. massadayoobgroup.com The class is free but you must show up ...

Thread: free combat hand gun class to G I's at Ft. Huachuca

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

March 18th
    Class from SFC (RET) Dan Southard one of Mas Ayoob's Level Three instructors. massadayoobgroup.com
    The class is free but you must show up with 300 rounds of ammunition. It is a course designed by Mas and SFC Southard for those going into harms way and being armed with a handgun.

What an absolutely great thing to do for our military personnel. I hope they take advantage of this opportunity. Thanks to Dan Southard and Mas Ayoob.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

GM
    That was good!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Met today with JAG, Range control, WTU who is the sponsering unit and this class has been submitted by all of the units to be a recuring class at Ft. Huachuca. This class is filled, 7 Army and One Navy but we are all one family. After the incident on the Pentagon yesterday, the urgency of intensive handgun training. Later, I'll include shotgun and carbine.

Found out today the class has been approved as an oficial Military training class that will be recurring.
    Tomorrow, Friday, will be the first.
    I'll make a report.

Sponsor
    Good luck with the class threefeathers

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

One of the NCO's moving to a sitting position, handgun is ready, focus is on the B G.

After Action Review of this training

Dan Southard SFC (RET), founder of Gator Farm Tactical Applications, conducted an intensive, six-hour handgun course at Fort Huachuca, Arizona on Friday, 19 March for seven Soldiers and one Sailor. This course was designed by Massad Ayoob, Marty Hays of Firearms Academy of Seattle, and Dan Southard to supplement the mediocre handgun training that the military provides.

The attendees for this course of instruction included two MI Officers, a JAG Officer, an MSC Officer, two senior NCO MP's, an MI NCO (working in the capacity of the Med Corps), and a Naval Intelligence Petty Officer.

This is Dan's second such course, the first being for some of the Airmen at Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson Arizona, and he has requested that Fort Huachuca allow him to offer this course on a reoccurring basis. The attendees are going back to their respective organizations to begin selecting Soldiers with the highest probability of carrying a handgun in combat, and with a quickly approaching date to deploy. From these selections, slots for Dan's class will fill and class dates will be set.

The course began with a one-hour block of instruction on the basics:
    1.Safety
    2.Crush Grip
    3.Magazine change, position of hands, and position of magazine.
    4.Weaver Hold
    5.Chapman Hold
    6.Isosceles Hold

Block Two:
    1.Hold of your choice, 10 meters, 2 fast magazine changes.
    2.One hand hold, Ayoob's method, 15 meters.

Block three - Ayoob's “Stressfire sight picture”. When you don't have time to properly align the sights for your first shot – bring front sight post to center mass for quick first shot. Then take a split second longer to better aim for more critical hits on following shots.

Block four: Firing from non-dominant hand. CANT handgun 20 degrees toward dominant eye to quickly pick up sights.
    Since 40% of “good guys” involved in a gun fight are wounded on their dominant side (many “bad guys” don't have much shooting training, therefore, they shoot at their perceived danger, being the gun that you are holding), it is extremely important to be able to switch to your non-dominant hand and continue to fight ACCURATELY AND CONFIDENTLY. One should be as proficient with his or her non-dominant hand as they are with their dominant hand. We call this the “Mirroring Technique”. If you look at yourself in a mirror while going through all drills with non-dominant hand, you should look identical to what another person would see when they watch you with your dominant hand.

What I found most interesting was, although it took each of us a fraction of a second longer to put the sights on the target (still surprisingly quick with the 20 degree cant), the vast majority were more accurate with the non-dominant hand.

Block five – High and low kneeling at 15 meters (perhaps behind a couch in your house or the hood of a car). Sitting position, possibly wounded and using non-wounded hand.

Block six – Using vertical cover. This includes the use of one-hand hold on each side to minimize the amount of exposed body.

Block seven – Firing while moving. Side to side stepping (both directions), firing between steps and reloading on the move.

Block eight – Put it all together. With an assistant reloading magazines, fire from all stances, positions, and distances covered in the class, moving rapidly from one objective to the next. This block was the qualification for the course and included 78 rounds fired.

This is an excellent course. Every Soldier that is trained will be able to take these skills and teach them to their Soldiers in the future. I have no doubt that this training will save Soldiers lives and we can not thank Dan Southard enough for offering this, completely free, to the Military. Also, a big thanks goes out to Massad Ayoob and Marty Hays for their expertise in collaboration with Dan Southard to create this outstanding course of instruction.

One more pic. This time dry fire drill using Mas Ayoob's Stressfire technique.
    Three of the officers in this particular pic have done 3 tours of Iraq or A Stan. They know how to focus on learning what is being taught.

Got permission to add lEO's to my class. You must contact MWR or WTU to sign up.

Sponsored Links