High and to the right

High and to the right

This is a discussion on High and to the right within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I remember at one point seeing a sort of test target that showed you where you were going wrong with your shot placement. Before ...

Thread: High and to the right

High and to the right

Ok, I remember at one point seeing a sort of test target that showed you where you were going wrong with your shot placement. Before I spend hard earned cash on an instructor, I figured it coulnd't hurt to get a little sage advice.

I learned how to shoot in the military so I have a basic idea of sight picture and stance. Since I got my first civilian gun a while back I have been working primarily on shot placement. After messing around with various grips and all that I found what seems to work best for me...sort of. All my best groups are high and to the right. I have been using center of mass targets with five oval targets per sheet at about 7 yards. I'm to the point that if I go slow and steady 85-90% of my shots are in the black, but still my smallest groups always wind up high and to the right.

Advise? I know there is no substitute for a decent instructor watching what I do and pointing things out in-situ, but hey, I wouldn'y be a guy if I didn't try to figure it out on my own first, right?

Try a little less finger on the trigger and concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back. Shooting high is usually from flinching or from looking over the back sight. You should always watch your sights rise off the target as the pistol goes off.

Alot of dry fire practice will help too.

Assistant Administrator
    I have that diagram somewhere - I'll take a look - here we go.

This for right hand shooter - just transpose for lefty - hope it might help a bit tho I hardly regard it as definitive - more a source of ideas!

In fact - have the left version too -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

P95Carry, thanks for posting those targets

I had carpal tunnel surgery a few years back and I used the same (or similar) targets to get back into form. They really helped a lot. They have also helped friends of mine when they come over to my house to shoot (I have a private range). I can say without exception that every one of them have improved their accuracy
    Last edited by p8riot; May 30th, 2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fix grammatical errors

Links