Five ways to blend marksmanship and reality-based training

This is a discussion on Five ways to blend marksmanship and reality-based training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This the first time I have heard it called unconscious competence or have ever heard of someone else ever writing about this subject relating to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five ways to blend marksmanship and reality-based training

This the first time I have heard it called unconscious competence or have ever heard of someone else ever writing about this subject relating to firearms training.

I find this Interesting because I learned this same model of learning discussed in the article in college back in the 1990s. Only it was called subconscious not unconscious.

I remember this because I wrote a research paper about subconscious competence in 1999 and posted about its use in firearms training on GT and other forms since 2000.

As a matter of fact, I recall starting a thread titled muscle memory vs subconscious competence which started a huge debate because the term "muscle memory" was the term the community standard and they all understood!

Well at least the "community" in some circles have moved out of the caves!

I find that 2002 & 2003 were big years for the community as the new progressive thinkers arrived on the scene and their ideas which are main stream now were new and radical but threatening to the establishment.

The problem was the proof was really in the pudding and change happened! And now we are debating the terms which mean the same thing and were released four to five years apart.

I'm just glad there is at least one other person that gets it even if they do happen to follow sigmond's "unconscious" point of view!
    Last edited by 7677; March 9th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Copied and pasted from other articles by skip for the most part.

Like I said, wasn't impressed with NTI much, perhaps they're up and running better nowadays.

Brownie
    lol...you have to understand the players list at NTI and connect the dots...Martin.

And, the people I know that are a part of NTI are really good people which bring a diverse back ground to the table. So I'm inclined to believe they have a excellent program but like with all things...the program is only as good as the people running it.
    Last edited by 7677; March 9th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links