Carbine "Match" Today >>

This is a discussion on Carbine "Match" Today >> within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The fellows and I, that have leased 1350 acres just across the border into Ala.,had a carbine "match" this early AM. Showed up, were a ...

Thread: Carbine "Match" Today >>

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar

Carbine "Match" Today >>

The fellows and I, that have leased 1350 acres just across the border into Ala.,had a carbine "match" this early AM.

Showed up, were a chopped L1A1,2 AK's,SOCOM 16,M4,and a FN P90. We gave the P90 guy hell for bringing a "toy gun" to a real gun gathering. We also promply voted to make him carry a flower in the muzzle when not in use.

We spit into teams of 3 and went our seperate ways settin' up torso targets throughout several of the swampy bottoms.Then we proceded to walk and stalk each others bottom and fire on the targets. Of course we put some of the "BG's" in places that the other team had to get downright muddy to be able to fire on. We thought we were smart 'til we discovered that the other guys did the same. I went in to my waist a couple of times and most of the times we were up to our knees. Lucky that my ammo was in a chest pack but one of the guys had it in a thigh carrier. It got soaked and somewhat muddy but his SOCOM continued to function. One guy in the other team actually had to swim after he ended up in a small bog of quick sand. Of course we watched to make sure nobody stayed too clean and if so he would get a gentle shove at just the right time.

After this,(and several gallons of iced tea) we set up 15 targets along the edge of a botton for our "drive by's".We have several miles of dirt roads on the lease that follow small ridges between the smaller black mud bottoms. We set up torso targets again for the opposing team. One of the guys has a old Toyota Tacoma, and we use this to shoot from. We have a driver that ONLY drives. A safety man in the bed that keeps the shooter from swinging on the cab or any other part of the truck and can "cease fire" at anytine that something unsafe occurs. Then the shooter with 5 mags of only 10rds per mag. The driver goes at a steady(safe) pace and if you see a target you shoot it. Today we had 12 targets.

If you've never shot from a moving platform,it's somewhat different when the target is still and you are moving. I feel that it is somewhat harder.

After more tea and some ol' fashioned "where'd you learn to shoot so shi--y"kinda fun, we moved on to the tire shoot. We have a long hill with a dirt road that goes down into a bottom. A piece of heavy white cardboard is put into the center of a old car tire and it is rolled down the hill. Of course when it hits a bump the tire jumps up into the air a bit. One mag with 20 and see how many times you can put a rd. through the cardboard. (the P90 guy tore it up with 16 outta 20 hits)We stopped kidding him about his choice of weapons.

This sorta stuff is great fun,good training,and it gets us together for some frustration release. Nothing beats talking guns,gear,and stratagies with like minded people, face to face. Next time we should be able to have all 10 of us there. --------
    Last edited by RSSZ; May 26th, 2006 at 06:16 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    The fellows and I, that have leased 1350 acres just across the border into Ala.,had a carbine "match" this early AM.

Showed up, were a chopped L1A1,2 AK's,SOCOM 16,M4,and a FN P90. We gave the P90 guy hell for bringing a "toy gun" to a real gun gathering. We also promply voted to make him carry a flower in the muzzle when not in use.

We spit into teams of 3 and went our seperate ways settin' up torso targets throughout several of the swampy bottoms.Then we proceded to walk and stalk each others bottom and fire on the targets. Of course we put some of the "BG's" in places that the other team had to get downright muddy to be able to fire on. We thought we were smart 'til we discovered that the other guys did the same. I went in to my waist a couple of times and most of the times we were up to our knees. Lucky that my ammo was in a chest pack but one of the guys had it in a thigh carrier. It got soaked and somewhat muddy but his SOCOM continued to function. One guy in the other team actually had to swim after he ended up in a small bog of quick sand. Of course we watched to make sure nobody stayed too clean and if so he would get a gentle shove at just the right time.

After this,(and several gallons of iced tea) we set up 15 targets along the edge of a botton for our "drive by's".We have several miles of dirt roads on the lease that follow small ridges between the smaller black mud bottoms. We set up torso targets again for the opposing team. One of the guys has a old Toyota Tacoma, and we use this to shoot from. We have a driver that ONLY drives. A safety man in the bed that keeps the shooter from swinging on the cab or any other part of the truck and can "cease fire" at anytine that something unsafe occurs. Then the shooter with 5 mags of only 10rds per mag. The driver goes at a steady(safe) pace and if you see a target you shoot it. Today we had 12 targets.

If you've never shot from a moving platform,it's somewhat different when the target is still and you are moving. I feel that it is somewhat harder.

After more tea and some ol' fashioned "where'd you learn to shoot so shi--y"kinda fun, we moved on to the tire shoot. We have a long hill with a dirt road that goes down into a bottom. A piece of heavy white cardboard is put into the center of a old car tire and it is rolled down the hill. Of course when it hits a bump the tire jumps up into the air a bit. One mag with 20 and see how many times you can put a rd. through the cardboard. (the P90 guy tore it up with 16 outta 20 hits)We stopped kidding him about his choice of weapons.

This sorta stuff is great fun,good training,and it gets us together for some frustration release. Nothing beats talking guns,gear,and stratagies with like minded people, face to face. Next time we should be able to have all 10 of us there. --------
    LOL I am saving up for one of those. I hope I can shoot as well as that guy.

Sounds like fun

Assistant Administrator
    Just my kinda games

jualdeaux - small request - it saves some bandwidth if the entire preceeding post is not fully quoted!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links