Defensive Carry banner

Have you received Professional Handgun Training?

• Only NRA basic pistol and/or state required CCW class

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • Professional Training (Suarez International, Gunsite, etc.)

Votes: 83 58.0%
  • None

Votes: 17 11.9%

How many on this site have received professional firearms training?

3K views 50 replies 44 participants last post by  jackrock 
#1 ·
Quick poll on whether or not you have taken part in one or more Professional Firearms Training classes.

#8 ·
Take and give...

I take classes about 4-8 times per year....

We teach, CPL and Non CPL class. Non CPL class range from 2-10 per year depending on interest levels....

#13 ·
There is an instructor out of Crosby, TX that has classes about every two to three months. His classes are one day for about$120.00. (Hot dog lunch and bottled water included). I really want to take his class on practical room clearing.

#14 ·
Military training. I learned a lot in training for active shooters. Gun handling, clearing spaces, movement and cover. Transitioning from primary to secondary smoothly. Reaload drills along with tactical reloads.(topping off) commands and direction giving. Gun failier, tap and rack drills. And a lot more. Was a lot of fun and a got a lot out of it. I wish I had a safe area to practice live fire and I'm unwilling to pay so much money to be trained on the basics which I'm comfortable with just to practice. I need to build my own course of fire...

#17 ·
I watched John Wayne movies growing up. My life's philosophy is WWJWD - What Would John Wayne Do? It got me through twenty-two years in the military including Marine Advanced Infantry Training at Camp Pendleton, SERE training, and tours in Viet Nam. No "professional training" though. I am a certified NRA instructor and Range Safety Officer. I will have to get some "professional training" someday.

#19 ·
I have had no professional trainng but I shoot all the time, strong and weak hand stationery and reactive targets, any thing from hanging upside down to rolling in the dirt and having people throw stuff for me to shoot at. For over 20 years there has been nothing within 100 miles to go to to train.for the past few months my LGS owner has been putting on a 3 hour dynamic pistol class on Sunday afternoons and im hopeing to take one of them soon to see what else I can learn but for the most part im on my own

#21 ·
Sig Academy is less than an hour away and they've got a pretty nice facility.... and we get nice discounts at the pro shop with every class :)

#22 ·
I teach and continue to take training. I'll be returning to TDI for FIST and Handgun VI later this year. Aside from situational awareness and reaction, there was nothing in my seven years of army infantry which applies to concealed carry.

Reactions: ShooterGranny
#25 ·
40 hr MFT through SILEC in Illinois. NRA handgun courses. Military training for handgun rifle and shotgun. Recurrent training for handgun, shotgun, and rifle. Illinois 8 hour CCL. Use of force & escalation of force training.

Nearly 1000 official rounds downrange. Thousands more informally or IDPA and NRA.

That's about all I can think of.

#26 ·
What would be the perameters of this professional training? I'd consider Army AIT professional training. Some of the training offered by some of the various training programs are closer to Army AIT than practical civilian based training.

I have recieved professional training from my department.

#27 · (Edited)
Secret Spuk beat me to it. Professional training is pretty much any training that someone gets paid to provide. Lots of professional training out there that I wouldn't spend a dime on, including some of the "name" places these days. Me, I've had training from Gunsite, S&W, Glock, Thunder Ranch, John Farnam, Shoot-N-Iron, Marty Hayes and a number of other good trainers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.