My favorite EDC knife as of right now.

This is a discussion on My favorite EDC knife as of right now. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry MODs if this is already around, please move or remove if necessary. Hey everyone, long time no post. I have found MY favorite edc ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favorite EDC knife as of right now.

My favorite EDC knife as of right now.

Sorry MODs if this is already around, please move or remove if necessary.

Hey everyone, long time no post. I have found MY favorite edc utility blade. It is for small chores, and doesn't have a whole lot of defense purpose. Well not on the surface but to avoid a ton of reminders. I know everyknife has defensive capabilities if needed. I train with my knives so I get it. This is more of a go to knife for anywhere I may be. Its not scary or threatening or even stand out all that much. It rocks. It is my SOG Twitch II, metal handle version. ( lowe's has the plastic one) I have been using it for about 2 weeks and LOVE IT!!

I've cut everything from twisty ties to bread to paper to paracord to whatever else you may think of with in reason.

I chose this knife because of the looks I got a Kmart when I used my SOG Mini Vulcan to cut a zip tie off of a baby toy that I just bought my daughter. Well I needed a gent type blade and I got one. I was going to carry my Zing but if I lost it my wife and I would be hurt because she bought it as a gift for me. I get attached to things pretty quick.

A little about this knife with out going to deep and forgive me if I'm a little off.

Blade is AUS8
    Blade L is 2.6 x.100"
    Straight edge
    Hard anodized alum handle
    SOG S.A.T. Assisted open
    pocket/money clip
    Satin Blade finish
    Retail $70
    I'm a SOG dealer so didn't pay that look around you can find them for $45 ish

Also available is the twitch I the Twitch XL and the blink which is the same basic idea just smaller and more money clipish.

Anyone with experience on this blade chime in. Any good or bad experience let me know. Thanks
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

2. Remove Ads

As of this minute my favorite EDC knife is the Kershaw Junk Yard Dog with the composite blade. Scary sharp and will take a lot of abuse.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post

As of this minute my favorite EDC knife is the Kershaw Junk Yard Dog with the composite blade. Scary sharp and will take a lot of abuse.
    Is that an assisted opener or flipper type assist?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm not a "knife guy" but that a SWEET loooking knife! Id buy that on looks alone.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I bought a cheapy Winchester knife...(yes I know so many out there..) will take a pic of it later. Good little knife for work. (Gave my boker to my uncle, always wanted a damascus and I couldnt help give it to him.) Been planning on a JYD looks great. especially like the clip.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Is that an assisted opener or flipper type assist?
    Assisted opener!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

JYDs seem pretty decent, never handled one but I have a respect for kershaw as an everybody everyday knife, by that I mean everybody can get their hands on one for not a crap ton of money and also use it everyday and not worry about it.

If I were not a dealer I would not have so many SOGs but since I get the discount I take advantage but in my knife drawer next to all my upper line knives sits 4 kershaws.

I really like them, good choices!
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Assisted opener!
    no its not. its a flipper.

I used to have the same model! Loved that thing..constantly opening/closing. It was perfect for every day cutting, was quick, and had what seemed to be a very strong lock. Also really sharp, as my fingers would testify. After extended use mine would get dirty and wouldn't be assisted, but no problem cleaning. I returned mine in favor of a bigger knife.. might have to get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh542 View Post
    I used to have the same model! Loved that thing..constantly opening/closing. It was perfect for every day cutting, was quick, and had what seemed to be a very strong lock. Also really sharp, as my fingers would testify. After extended use mine would get dirty and wouldn't be assisted, but no problem cleaning. I returned mine in favor of a bigger knife.. might have to get a new one.
    once again. the Junkyard Dog II is not an assisted opener. IT IS A FLIPPER.

Mine has changed alot over the years. I always needed that new knife with the best steel so I have spent alot. As I have gotten older I have found myself going back to one knife, and it was the first one I bought. A Benchmade Griptillian. Perfect feel, good blade length and shape, indestructable, easy to sharpen and in 440C nonetheless. I carry that and some kind of small Queen or Case in D2 or CV. I havent found anything this combo can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    once again. the Junkyard Dog II is not an assisted opener. IT IS A FLIPPER.
    Unless I'm misreading this description it sounds like an assisted opener to me.

"A new one-handed, index-finger opening system first builds up pressure and then pops the blade up out of the handle for easy deployment by either left- and right-handed knife users."

Can someone clarify? KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details

Nice knife!

Here's my current EDC that has served pretty well as a utility knife, window smasher, and seatbelt cutter...

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Kershaw LEEK. Thin, tough, sharp, and won't scare the soccer moms.

Assisted open, reversable clip, and a very grippy texture.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    Unless I'm misreading this description it sounds like an assisted opener to me.

"A new one-handed, index-finger opening system first builds up pressure and then pops the blade up out of the handle for easy deployment by either left- and right-handed knife users."

Can someone clarify? KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details
    it has a ball detent that holds the blade until you put enough pressure on it. i own the knife, i guarantee you its not an assisted opener. If if was an assisted it would say SpeedSafe on it. go look it up on youtube and you can see the videos of people flipping them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links