Defensive Carry banner

Too much to put into title, but looking for guidance

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  mercop 
#1 ·
Ok here goes. Issue one. I am newly appointed into a LEO job that I was a deputy of for 3 years. It has been about 4-5 months since I have been out pounding warrants. In this time I have learned a lot about a lot. One thing I have learned about is the importance of good knives and their positioning on the officer. I carry 2 folders and a multi tool everyday. I want a good fixed blade that I can carry for defense.

The next part of my dilema. I work a security job too, unarmed, on construction sites. I man the gate and am solo most of the time. I am not allowed to have a firearm here AT ALL. Also, here comes the kick in the arse. I am not allowed to have a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches.

I know the importance of muscle memory. So I need to find a fixed blade that I can carry at both jobs as a defensive tool that is up to 3 inches and has good real estate for my big paws.

I have considered the TDI but I need more suggestions on knives and where to stash them discreetly.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
The next part of my dilema. I work a security job too, unarmed, on construction sites. I man the gate and am solo most of the time. I am not allowed to have a firearm here AT ALL. Also, here comes the kick in the arse. I am not allowed to have a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches.
This is NOT meant to be a criticism of you, but that's really useless, isn't it? I mean, what good is an unarmed security guard?

#5 ·
#7 ·
I have a Hideaway Knife (HAK), and would recommend it. Sub-3" and with a ton of different carry/concealment options, you are sure to find a way to carry it no matter which job you are at...

#9 ·
I really like push-daggers for the role of a back-up/off-hand blade.

This page has several different ones to look at.
I know of guys who carry the Benchmade CBK attached to their inner-belt so the handle sticks up just above their duty belt...pretty unobtrusive. I also know of guys who do the same thing with the Cold Steel knives (the Safekeeper III is my personal fav. at this point).

The TDI's are fine too. A custom sheath can open up your carry options.

#11 ·
I really like push-daggers for the role of a back-up/off-hand blade.
Unfortunately, double edged blades are a no-no here in PA.

IMO, it's a little pricey for Taiwanese made AUS8, and they claim the blade length is a hair over 3" (.2"), but the BLACKHAWK! Crucible FX1 - BLACKHAWK! has a good sized handle which is comfortable in all grips. I have the older, Seki made, VG10 model. It's nice. You could probably get one for considerably less if you don't buy it direct from BLACKHAWK! The stock sheath is kinda crappy, but functional, and comes with several carry options.

#10 ·
Just curious, if you are a sworn LEO can't you tell your security boss to pack sand, you ARE concealed carrying on the security job because the law allows and your boss/Sheriff require it? Or is this a Fed. security job? That's the only way I can imagine being completely shut out.

#14 ·
MAJORLK - totally agree

BUCKLES- been thinking about the izula too

FLOR1- Its a gas well I am away from the site. I agree with that, I would much rather use a "stick" than a blade

PARAMEDIC70002- The site is posted with a no weapons sign, I can not pack here, i will have to do some checking, the LEOSA of 04 says that i can carry anywhere except where posted that it is not meant to override any postings of that nature, i'll do some checking

If anyone can verify if I can carry here or not let me know on PM, I am in PA.

#15 ·
Do what I did went to Home Depot bought 3FT. 1"1/4" dowel rod picked up 2 Rubber caps in the hardware dept. Carry it everywhere nobody even looks twice. Carry it in car not a concealed weapon pulled over officer never even asked about it. If I have outside of car just hold it like a cane.

#16 ·
walk softly and carry a big dowl..or something like that

If your LEO..you can carry concealed in all 50 states...so why tell the boss...

ankle holster and the right to remain slient...

I guess that's off thread

benchmade makes a nice auto..but a 3" blade is pretty small..

I guess the Benchmade Benchmade Mel Pardue Auto II or the Mel Pardue Auto Plain Edge w/ 3" Blade should do ya..

available to LEO and Military only

#17 ·
PA law does not allow police of leo to carry an auto. But i do agree that they are nice. I am a dealer of many different knife companies I'm just not sure which will be best. I am more of a folder man than a fixed but I need to broaden my horizons. Thanks everyone

Looking at TDI - Izula - CBK.

I appreciate the info, keep it coming.

#19 ·
I have ran across that problem as an LEO. Many people do not understand that LEO can carry anywhere in the US. Your boss is actually in violation of HR 214, the law enforcement safety act passed by congress after 9-11 granting even retired LEOs the right to carry. He does not have the legal authority to tell you that you cannot carry your weapon. I have ran across this problem before. Being a sworn officer you are always on duty to enforce and protect the public, and a private companies rules cannot override this. You need to take charge of this and get things straight. You may get into real hot water by using an unauthorized weapon instead of your duty weapon. When doing security, a situation is likely to arrise where you have to invoke your sworn authority so you had better have the tools of the trade handy, including handcuffs and non lethal options such as pepper spray handy. I have been doing off duty work for many years and agency has a policy that if you have to put your hands on someone, you better have a reason, and if you have a reason you better arrest them. We have to get permission to work
off duty, and are required to carry our issued weapon that we are qualified with for liability purposes. Sounds like you might want to check boss for their policy.

#20 ·
I understand the LEOSA, but check this out.

‘‘§ 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law
enforcement officers
‘‘(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any
State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is
a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification
required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm
that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce,
subject to subsection (b).
‘‘(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit
the laws of any State that—

‘‘(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict
the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
‘‘(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
State or local government property, installation, building, base,
or park.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=108_cong_bills&docid=f:h218enr.txt.pdf

Someone check me if i'm wrong, but doesn't that say that you can't carry where posted?

ps- my boss was the head constable in my area just before I took over, I was his deputy. He retired to run this company, he is familiar with the laws as well.

#22 ·
No guns,no knives how about a pet alligator

"send,lawyers guns and money, the sh-t has hit the fan"=-------------------------------//warren zevon///old boss new job thanks but no thanks your between a rock and a frying pan maybe lottery might be easier money my sympathy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.