Too much to put into title, but looking for guidance

This is a discussion on Too much to put into title, but looking for guidance within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here goes. Issue one. I am newly appointed into a LEO job that I was a deputy of for 3 years. It has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much to put into title, but looking for guidance

Ok here goes. Issue one. I am newly appointed into a LEO job that I was a deputy of for 3 years. It has been about 4-5 months since I have been out pounding warrants. In this time I have learned a lot about a lot. One thing I have learned about is the importance of good knives and their positioning on the officer. I carry 2 folders and a multi tool everyday. I want a good fixed blade that I can carry for defense.

The next part of my dilema. I work a security job too, unarmed, on construction sites. I man the gate and am solo most of the time. I am not allowed to have a firearm here AT ALL. Also, here comes the kick in the arse. I am not allowed to have a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches.

I know the importance of muscle memory. So I need to find a fixed blade that I can carry at both jobs as a defensive tool that is up to 3 inches and has good real estate for my big paws.

I have considered the TDI but I need more suggestions on knives and where to stash them discreetly.

Thanks.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

You might look at the Hideaway knife... strictly a defensive tool. You won't be opening the utility bills with this one.

HideAwayKnife
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    The next part of my dilema. I work a security job too, unarmed, on construction sites. I man the gate and am solo most of the time. I am not allowed to have a firearm here AT ALL. Also, here comes the kick in the arse. I am not allowed to have a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches.
    This is NOT meant to be a criticism of you, but that's really useless, isn't it? I mean, what good is an unarmed security guard?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

KA BAR TDI...here's mine... KA-BAR Knives: KABAR TDI Knife, Part Serrated Coyote Brown, KA-1477CB

Buy a box of bandaids when you first start playing with this new toy...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    This Schrade is pretty decent, simple, & inexpensive.
    The blade is 3.1" - Pretty much anybody with a standard ruler is going to call it a 3" blade.
    NEW Schrade Knives Extreme Survival Knife SCHF5 - eBay (item 350330684782 end time Mar-26-10 2225 PDT)

BTW: The "sheath" also looks "useful."

I like the HAK option.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have a Hideaway Knife (HAK), and would recommend it. Sub-3" and with a ton of different carry/concealment options, you are sure to find a way to carry it no matter which job you are at...
    ďWhat is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?Ē óJustice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

ESEE Izula or a Kabar TDI

I really like push-daggers for the role of a back-up/off-hand blade.

This page has several different ones to look at.
    I know of guys who carry the Benchmade CBK attached to their inner-belt so the handle sticks up just above their duty belt...pretty unobtrusive. I also know of guys who do the same thing with the Cold Steel knives (the Safekeeper III is my personal fav. at this point).

The TDI's are fine too. A custom sheath can open up your carry options.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Just curious, if you are a sworn LEO can't you tell your security boss to pack sand, you ARE concealed carrying on the security job because the law allows and your boss/Sheriff require it? Or is this a Fed. security job? That's the only way I can imagine being completely shut out.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I really like push-daggers for the role of a back-up/off-hand blade.
    Unfortunately, double edged blades are a no-no here in PA.

IMO, it's a little pricey for Taiwanese made AUS8, and they claim the blade length is a hair over 3" (.2"), but the BLACKHAWK! Crucible FX1 - BLACKHAWK! has a good sized handle which is comfortable in all grips. I have the older, Seki made, VG10 model. It's nice. You could probably get one for considerably less if you don't buy it direct from BLACKHAWK! The stock sheath is kinda crappy, but functional, and comes with several carry options.

Here's an option from Gerber, I like it and if PA doesn't allow double sided blades, just grind down one side. the BG is not gonna know the difference. GerberGear > Product Details > Guardian Back Up

If your on a construction site pick up a 2x4 or a piece on conduit better then any Knife will ever be.

MAJORLK - totally agree

BUCKLES- been thinking about the izula too

FLOR1- Its a gas well I am away from the site. I agree with that, I would much rather use a "stick" than a blade

PARAMEDIC70002- The site is posted with a no weapons sign, I can not pack here, i will have to do some checking, the LEOSA of 04 says that i can carry anywhere except where posted that it is not meant to override any postings of that nature, i'll do some checking

If anyone can verify if I can carry here or not let me know on PM, I am in PA.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Do what I did went to Home Depot bought 3FT. 1"1/4" dowel rod picked up 2 Rubber caps in the hardware dept. Carry it everywhere nobody even looks twice. Carry it in car not a concealed weapon pulled over officer never even asked about it. If I have outside of car just hold it like a cane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links