What is the minimum responsible age for pepper spray?

This is a discussion on What is the minimum responsible age for pepper spray? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess this all comes down to opinion, but what is the minimum age you feel a child could be trusted with pepper spray? Since ...

Thread: What is the minimum responsible age for pepper spray?

What is the minimum responsible age for pepper spray?

I guess this all comes down to opinion, but what is the minimum age you feel a child could be trusted with pepper spray?

Since my daughter just turned one year old it got me thinking about this. I mean, I already have a shotgun to clean so that when she's 30 and out on her first date, I can let the guy know I mean business. But what about when she is still a little girl out with friends and the "free candy" van pulls up? Yelling "stranger danger" only works if there are people around to hear it. Would you give your child pepper spray as a defensive tool? And if so, at what age do you think a child could handle that responsibility? Obviously they wouldn't be able to carry it at school, I'm thinking more about on weekends when they go to friends houses or out in the neighborhood when you can't be around.

2. Remove Ads

I believe it will be an individual answer based on the maturity, reasoning ability and other mental and physical attributes of the child. I would have to think on this, but initially I'm not a fan of the idea. In some jurisdictions it'd even be illegal for adults.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkel View Post
    ...I already have a shotgun to clean so that when she's 30 and out on her first date...
    Man, do I understand that one! My daughter, at 16, wrote an essay that said in essence, "I reject 'recreational dating' - when I date, it will be for keeps". I'm sure that since going away to college she's enjoyed a cup of coffee with a Cro-Magnon or two, but she's not into the 'dating' or 'boyfriend' scene as defined by American culture. Rather, she's trusting God to provide and is working on her homemaker training and college degree in the meantime (and will be getting her permit this summer). May you be blessed with that sort of daughter, too!

My daughter could have responsibly carried pepper spray at nine, if memory serves me well. Out in the hills and primarily around church folks it didn't seem warranted, but she had the self-control and smarts to handle it. Heck, in terms of self-control she beats her mother and me all to pieces.

Aside from laws/policies (a separate issue), I would encourage you to trust your gut on this decision. You'll know her maturity level as well as anyone 'cept Mom, and you are likely focused on threats even better than Mom is. Thus, I would say you should work with Dear Daughter and help her develop situational awareness and responses to various scenarios. At some point pepper spray will become an option, and you should equip her appropriately. She may also need to keep a pointy keyring decoration or some other tool as well: this may come earlier or later depending on lots of factors. You call it, and we'll cheer!

One last thought: we train to keep out of sketchy situations and that training can start quite early for your daughter. The object is not to equip her to spray a thug outside the convenience store at 2 AM, but rather to deal with the fellow jumping her and her little friend in a parking lot in broad daylight. Situational awareness and avoidance of known risks is primary and should start during toddlerhood, I should think.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

At whatever age you think she can survive a blast of pepper spray to her face. I feel like that is the point she'll be able to determine it's not a funny joke to do the geeky kids in school.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Administrator
    Check your local laws because many states have a legal age of 18 for OC spray.

In fact...the OP of this thread resides in Michigan and the law is more strict there than in most other states.

In Michigan regular pepper sprays for self defense are illegal. All self defense sprays sold in Michigan must meet regulations established by Michigan law. Michigan approved pepper sprays are a type of tear gas known as CS. All canisters are restricted on size and cannot exceed 35 grams in size. Furthermore they may not exceed more than two percent Oleoresin Capsicum (OC).

Mace brand products formulated several different type of defense sprays to meet Michigan established regulations. Therefore you can purchase Michigan approved self defense spray on line, from our store.

Michigan approved sprays can be carried in public, and possessed by anyone 18 years of age and older.
    It is a crime to use any kind of self defense spray for any illegal activity, or in commission of a crime. Self defense sprays should only be used to defend yourself against an attacker, protecting personal property, an attacking or aggressive animal.

Animal pepper sprays such as Mace Muzzle spray and Bear Pepper Spray Repellent are legal to carry as long as it is properly labeled for that use. These sprays are very powerful and far more effective than standard Michigan CS spray. These spray are designed to temporarily stun or incapacitate an attacking or aggressive animal.

Animal pepper sprays can be purchased from our store for shipment to Michigan!

VIP Member
    Kids are funny, in that there are different areas of life in which they can be variously trusted or not trusted to different degrees. Mine, was always good with money. When he was 16 he could be trusted with a credit card. By 18 he had full signature authority on our bank and brokerage accounts, and at 33 has never done anything the least bit irresponsible or inappropriate with the trust we placed in him, in this area.

That's with money.

We don't want to talk about cars, girlfriends, drink, staying out too late, being places he had no place being, playing instead of studying, etc.

You just have to know YOUR kid. People mature at different rates in different areas of their lives. Some young people seem like they are born wise and mature. Some never grow up enough to lead solid productive lives.

Most of us have at least one or two parts of our lives where we are stuck with the maturity of an adolescent and the brain of a Neanderthal.

This is one or these "tough calls". But when your little girl starts dating, don't forget to place a dirty shovel next to your shotgun when letting her suitor know what her curfew is.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

18 is generally adulthood by law...
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

I'd say a year old is a little young... Okay, that out of the way, on a serious note, be sure and check with State law first regarding minimum age and work from there.

Remember, using OC in an inappropriate situation is usually a crime in and of itself. It even states that on the label on FOX OC products. You don't want your daughter charged with assault so, start by learning the minimum age in your State and work from there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, in NC no age limit, just non felon, and you CAN carry it in schools. And I do, cause it's all I can carry when I go. I have one daughter that could likely handle it at a young age and another that might go "Hey ya'll watch this." But they are only 8 and 5 so that might change. They'll likely have it before they are 18, at least for non school activities, if the law does not change. Not sure about school, outside of college, it's the other kids doing something stupid with it that they might get in trouble for. Well, and the hey ya'll thing.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I will say every parent is going to have to evaluate their own children's level of maturity and responsibility. Some kids may be able to handle it at a surprising young age.

If I recall correctly Massad Ayoob was carrying a cocked and locked 1911 concealed while working in his fathers jewelry store when he was age 11 or 12. Now he had been exposed to guns at a very young age, and his father had been in a shootout with armed robbers in the jewelry store before, and working in the high risk family business at a young age, he possessed probably an above average level of maturity compared to most of his peers at the time.

So, it's going to be a balancing act and one the parent is going to have to use their best judgment. That is, as long as their are no age restrictions in your particular State.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Young adult women, 18+ should be able to handle carrying OC spray...if that have been willing to have a 'taste' of what it feels like when sprayed on a windy day...some IS going to come back at them. Can they handle it, or will they just become a 'sprayed victim'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's going to depend on the maturity of the individual. I've seen some 30 somethings who act like they're 13, and some 18 yo's who seem more like someone in their late 20s.

Links