Knives for someone who doesn't like knives

This is a discussion on Knives for someone who doesn't like knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; mercharness what is it??? do you have a pic. cause the chain that came with it is cheapo! also i'm trying to look for a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knives for someone who doesn't like knives

mercharness
    what is it??? do you have a pic. cause the chain that came with it is cheapo! also i'm trying to look for a clip that way i can carry it on my hip. neck carry is "IFFY".
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

2. Remove Ads

Just a good ole' Kershaw Assisted Opener will serve many purposes...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is not meant to be a snide remark but, if you dislike knives why not look for a blunt weapon. I personally carry one on my key chain. It works well, is fast and is legal were I am. The biggest issue I see is the fact that you do not like having something in your pocket. So perhaps some type of force multiplier that clips onto your pocket.

Important considerations for a fighting folder:

1) length of blade. Reach matters

2) security of locking mechanism

Why not get a Leatherman Tool?

I carry a Skeletool regular one and it has a smaller blade and is easy to get to, back pocket next to wallet (Sneaky sneaky) hell I goto campuses (work for a district) and no one worries much about it. I use it to build and disassemble stuff but its good to know you have that blade as a "Reserve" I guess, usually carry that and whatever knife I feel like carrying that month or while (Right now its that lockback)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    what is it??? do you have a pic.
    MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Mercharness

I'm with Retsupt99, the Kershaw Assisted Opener is the way to go.
    At the shot show a Kershaw saleswoman told me they are discontinuing the assisted openers. Sad, they are great for warehouse work and on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Now this has me wondering. Wouldn't a setup like that be prone to printing under just a tee-shirt, as the site suggests?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Now this has me wondering. Wouldn't a setup like that be prone to printing under just a tee-shirt, as the site suggests?
    I've never had any printing problems, even carrying my P3AT on one.
    But then, I don't wear tight T-shirts, so YEMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I am not a fan of knives. I almost hate them. I hate the thought of being attacked and cut with one. I hate the thought of having to use a weapon in such close proximity to a threat. I hate having things in my pocket.
    I have always liked knives. I like how they look feel in my hand sharpening them using them. Whether it is slicing a tomatoe or defending myself. There is just something special about how a well made well sharpened knife slices. To be honest in my younger days they were my weapon of choice. They are a bit more personal and IMO just as deadly as a gun.

But if you hate knives it is not likely that you will invest the time and effort into using one well. Have you considered a cane? They are a much under rated weapon that you can carry anywhere. Are never questioned and make a brutal self defense weapon. Much easier to learn to use effectively.

There are some good recommendations at I need a knife recommendation please

I have carried a Kershaw OutLaw folder for over 12 years as my do everything edged tool. Decent blade and I really like its no slip grip

I also carry a

Chad Banos Boker SubCom $24.00 a money clip. Do not discount this diminutive blade it has an excellent design that provides an extraordinary grip. No one will be taking this knife out your hand and you will have total control. I put a convex edge on mine. Sharp as a scalpel it will split a roast in two with a flick of the wrist. Mercop has a good tutorial on it on his SubClaw page

For a fixed blade I carry either either a BK 11 for $36.61or a

or a Chad Banos MPT from Boker for $56.97

The pic sizes are not in proportion to each other
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, I have always said that folks should carry a razor sharp and readily accessible folder on their support side.
    You should be able to open it easily with one support-side hand.
    If some BG is fighting for your firearm then you need to be able to make bloody meat (in a big hurry) while keeping possession of your SD firearm.

The SOG FLASH II assisted opener is unobtrusive, lightweight, & not very expensive and is razor sharp as supplied by SOG.
    You might want to consider gluing the little safety catch in the OFF SAFE position.
    What he said carry 1 daily and love it

^^^ Used to have the same thing until I lost it in the water cutting a guys line. The boat owner was appreciative and went to West Marine to get a replacement. Sadly they didn't have any SOG's (or he was to cheap) and got my a Gerber clone. They're a nice versatile knife. I use it for cutting boat lines, opening lids, screwdriver, etc. etc. Couldn't imagine not having a knife on me.

I have seen few people that are very good deploying a folder under stress from their reaction side. The only knife that fills this role for me is the Emerson Karambit worn reaction side in reverse grip.- George

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links