Knives for someone who doesn't like knives

This is a discussion on Knives for someone who doesn't like knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not a fan of knives. I almost hate them. I hate the thought of being attacked and cut with one. I hate the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives for someone who doesn't like knives

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Knives for someone who doesn't like knives

I am not a fan of knives. I almost hate them. I hate the thought of being attacked and cut with one. I hate the thought of having to use a weapon in such close proximity to a threat. I hate having things in my pocket.

I have never used a knife defensively. I have only owned a few knives, mostly small pocket knives, that eventually end up in a junk drawer.

That being considered, how does one go about training themselves to carry a knife daily? How does one choose a good knife that can be an effective defense tool?

I also assume that carrying a knife should include some defensive knife training? Where does one find such training?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Personally for me I started with a lockback style old fashion knife, carried a thin profile and in my back pocket. Stayed near my wallet so it would not fall over. Kept it like that and then went with a lanyard so I could feel the string whenever I wanted to make sure it didnt fall, then I got into tactical knives and automatics and spring loaded and yada yada. Basically start with something you feel comfortable with. lol (Long time to get here huh) I am back at lockbacks and can open one with a flick of the rist now. Consider an ok brand to carry and see how you like it. (MTech for tactical style or Rite Edge for real nice lockbacks) You can find most rite edge for under 10 and a most mtechs for under 20.

Currently carry something like this with a slimmer sheath.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I grew up at a time when a boy was given a pocket knife for his birthday (or Christmas) about the time he got out of elementary school. Most times, the gift was from his grandfather. I have been carrying a pocket knife of one kind or the other since I was about 13. The intention was never to use it as a weapon; it was (and still is) a tool to cut things - whether it be paper, string, rope or anything else. The last 30 years the knife of choice has been a Swiss Army knife with multiple blades. It is very painful emotionally to leave it home when flying. Many times, I have picked up something cheap to carry after arriving at my destination and then give it away before returning home.

Of late, I have also been carrying a Kershaw Blur in my hip pocket, again as a tool, not particularly as a weapon, although it can serve that purpose. The only real difference between the SA knife and the Kershaw is the size of the blade. Both knives are equally razor-sharp.

I am not a fan of knives. I almost hate them. I hate the thought of being attacked and cut with one. I hate the thought of having to use a weapon in such close proximity to a threat. I hate having things in my pocket.
    Then, respectfully, I would forego carrying one. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of a knife fight, either, but I'd rather have one available than not on the rare occasion I am not carrying a firearm.

Most any GOOD knife shop (or preferably a good gun store) can direct you to defensive knife training classes, if you do decide to carry a knife for such a purpose.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If I can reach a knife, I can reach my XD40 SC. If I need to use a knife for self-defense, I'd rather use the handgun. I'm getting older now and don't have the reflexes I had when I was younger. One of the questions asked at my Oral Board before joining the Delaware State Police was, "What would you do if someone came at you with a knife?". My response was I'd shoot them. I got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Then, respectfully, I would forego carrying one.
    +1 Gotta agree. My ex-wife didn't "like" knives either. Allegedly because of an "abusive" previous ex. I phrase it that way for good reason, which is not related to the topic.

A knife is a tool. If you aren't comfortable with handling a tool in a safe manner, then you shouldn't handle said tool.

Administrator
    Well, I have always said that folks should carry a razor sharp and readily accessible folder on their support side.
    You should be able to open it easily with one support-side hand.
    If some BG is fighting for your firearm then you need to be able to make bloody meat (in a big hurry) while keeping possession of your SD firearm.

The SOG FLASH II assisted opener is unobtrusive, lightweight, & not very expensive and is razor sharp as supplied by SOG.
    You might want to consider gluing the little safety catch in the OFF SAFE position.

I carry two knives, not to include the blade on my multi-tool. I love knives. I have carried one since my grandfather gave me my first pocket knife way back in kindergarten. Yes, I was about 5 years old, I am thirty two now. I personally carry an Emerson Super CQC-7 and a Benchmade model 760 Bob Lum. Mostly they are glorified letter openers. I have on more than one occasion had immediate need for a sharp cutting tool to free persons and animals from tight situations, myself included. I firmly hold to the notion that a fight is a dangerously fluid situation. Always bring a knife to a gunfight, and a gun, a long gun if possible. Better yet, stay out of trouble. That said, if a person is not mentally ready to respond to violence with absolute overwhelming force, said person is better off not carrying anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If I can reach a knife, I can reach my XD40 SC. If I need to use a knife for self-defense, I'd rather use the handgun. I'm getting older now and don't have the reflexes I had when I was younger. One of the questions asked at my Oral Board before joining the Delaware State Police was, "What would you do if someone came at you with a knife?". My response was I'd shoot them. I got the job.
    I agree with your statement of using the handgun before the knife. However, you may find yourself in a weapon retention situation where having a knife could keep you from losing your handgun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

As to fear of knife and being cut, anybody in their right mind should be afraid of a knife in the hand of a BG, I know I am.

That being said, the BG needs to fear me more than I fear him.

Once you have made up your mind not to be a willing victim carrying a knife for defense is just a part of the package.

Up close and personal, smell his bad breath close, I have found that I am faster at deploying my lock blade folder than my CC firearm.

Also there is no over penetration problem with the LBF so in a crowd of people you can use it without much fear of harming a bystander.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Personally for me I started with a lockback style old fashion knife, carried a thin profile and in my back pocket. Stayed near my wallet so it would not fall over. Kept it like that and then went with a lanyard so I could feel the string whenever I wanted to make sure it didnt fall, then I got into tactical knives and automatics and spring loaded and yada yada. Basically start with something you feel comfortable with. lol (Long time to get here huh) I am back at lockbacks and can open one with a flick of the rist now. Consider an ok brand to carry and see how you like it. (MTech for tactical style or Rite Edge for real nice lockbacks) You can find most rite edge for under 10 and a most mtechs for under 20.

Currently carry something like this with a slimmer sheath.
    That was a good looking knife!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

got it for 12 bucks at the flea market from a guy I know who sells mostly Rite Edge :D Its sharp and does good againt Fajita and Sausages (Used it Friday night at a bbq) :D

i'm with you tally, i hate knives!!!!! But,I know how much damage it can do to a body. ( i work as an EMT at a local hospital). also when i was 12, my dad was attacked by a kid trying to mug him. My dad put up a fight and suffered 28 stab/cut wounds. thank god somehow he survived! that's why i always carry a knife with me. cause i want to fight fire with fire. it's more of a comfort thing... knowing i have options! and it's there "as part of the package" per searcher 45.
    here are some of my options:
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    oh my.... I wouldn't be caught dead without my knife... I use it for more then fencing with a BG.

I use and abuse my knifes. Opening boxes, prying lids, screwdriver, hammer, paperweight, breaking down cardboard and picking my teeth.... well ok I don't do the last one.... ok maybe once.... or twice....
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think a knife should be a toothpick just right knife for the tool though (try'd picking my teech with my LFK at an olive garden and got the strangest looks.

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    i'm with you tally, i hate knives!!!!! But,I know how much damage it can do to a body. ( i work as an EMT at a local hospital). also when i was 12, my dad was attacked by a kid trying to mug him. My dad put up a fight and suffered 28 stab/cut wounds. thank god somehow he survived! that's why i always carry a knife with me. cause i want to fight fire with fire. it's more of a comfort thing... knowing i have options! and it's there "as part of the package" per searcher 45.
    here are some of my options:
    I like your cold steel double agent... i have the double agent II myself, carry it in a mercharness. excellent blade
    A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links