Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense... - Page 2

Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense...

This is a discussion on Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DZcarry According to the code I read you cannot have a spring assisted knife: GS_14-269 I'm I reading this wrong? its referring ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense...

Quote Originally Posted by DZcarry View Post
    According to the code I read you cannot have a spring assisted knife:

GS_14-269

I'm I reading this wrong?

its referring to a AUTOMATIC. Something that you have to press a button to open,IE explosive action.

The throwing motion part of it is pretty f**ked up becaus almost any foldercan be opened with a flick of the wrist.

Pick out a knive from a shop here in state, & don't worry about it.

The best bang for the buck IMHO are the Spyderco Delica and Endura with kudos to the Benchmade Griptilian (disadvantage is its thicker). All of them are available in trainer versions.

I've used a Spyderco Delica trainer for about six years. Thousands of openings and a lot of banging around. Never even had a screw come loose. The disadvantage of the Delica is its small size (if you have large hands) and it is more difficult to do inertial opens with it (you can learn but it takes practice). The Endura would be a better fit if you have larger hands and the inertial openings are much easier.

As far as the Griptilian is concerned, it is very easily to open and the Axis lock is rock solid.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Cutting things....Al Mar SERE 2000, really puts other folders to shame. For cutting people and training to do so...Spyderco Endura and trainer.- George

Here's another vote for the Benchmade Griptillian. I have had one since they came out and it still gets carried every day. I love it. I don't think you can go wrong with any Benchmade for that matter.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    One thing that really surprised me is how much nicer the Benchmade Griptilian trainer is than the Delica and Endura trainers I have. Smoother lines, blunter tip for better thrusting safety, complete bevels all the way around the edges of the blade top to bottom and front to back, better steel, and the smooth opening and just-short-of-fixed lockup of the AXIS lock. Just far and away a superior product from Benchmade in this regard.

Well, I've searched high and low. I can't find a defensive knife training course anywhere in NC. What do I do now? Do I just give up on the whole defensive knife thing?
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

You might try searching schools teaching Filipino martial arts (key words Eskrima, Arnis and Kali).

You also might want to consider grabbing a buddy and traveling to a multi-day seminar like the 3 1/2 day Martial Blade Camp in Estes Park, CO (Instructor - Michael Janich).

You can pick up valuable training information and skills via training DVD's. It's not as good as live training with an instructor but if you put in the time you increase your skill.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Benchmade 710 Axis Lock or Spyderco Endura (Flat Grind Blade)
    Last edited by SCALPHUNTER; June 12th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

+1 on Benchmade

The assisted opening knives do not technically use a spring. They use something called a torsion bar; I'm unclear how this actually works.

In my experience the assisted knives are just a neat gadget. I had a Kershaw for a while, it was as fast as any of the autos I've had. There is a tendency to follow through with the thumb stud, if you are accustomed to non-assisted knives. Trying to follow through will get you a cut thumb. I ended up giving the knife to my cousin and going back to Spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    The assisted opening knives do not technically use a spring. They use something called a torsion bar; I'm unclear how this actually works.

In my experience the assisted knives are just a neat gadget. I had a Kershaw for a while, it was as fast as any of the autos I've had. There is a tendency to follow through with the thumb stud, if you are accustomed to non-assisted knives. Trying to follow through will get you a cut thumb. I ended up giving the knife to my cousin and going back to Spyderco.
    Nothing wrong with "Spyders."
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Be hard to go wrong with a Spyderco Delica or Endura or a Benchmade Griptilian. Great knives, all of them, and they all have available trainers for when you find yourself a class or a seminar so you'll be able to train with the knife you'll actually use.
    what he said,

i have the delica, its a nice flat knife when i dont wanna carry a thick one like the griptilian.

if ur looking for something cheaper try the spyderco tenacious its 35 before shipping.

Spyderco Tenacious, G-10 Handle, Plain Edge

Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense...

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-TF-6-Trident/dp/B000IXFFHW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276475338&sr=8-8

I just ordered this knife. I like the notch since it will be my utility knife and I can cut twine/rope without opening it. Tanto knives are excellent defensive knives.

I also have a SOG Pentagon Elite. I can flick it open as fast as most people can open a butterfly knife or switchblade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I think your budget is the key here. Everybody has given such great advice thus far - Spyderco, benchmade griptillian, etc. I currently carry a benchmade osborne rift and it's fast, but so is every Benchmade with the Axis lock, but its a bit pricey, too. I am currently thinking about switching to an Emerson Wave. Somebody else mentioned Emerson already - take note, their knives are well built and fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    True for some, not for others. The following is from SOG's web site.

SOG Assisted Technology works through the balance of opposing high-tension coil springs. As one opens the blade the force to propel the knife open becomes greater than the closing force and the blade will open on its own. The end result propels the blade out once the operator has initiated the one-handed opening action.

Since some feel anything without a web address simply does not exist, here it is SOG Aegis Knife With Digi Camo & Straight Blade From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools There is a picture that shows how the springs work at the linked page.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links