Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense...

This is a discussion on Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would also like to find a local class. I thought about ordering Michael Janice's DVD. While I'm here: is it legal to keep my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with non-assisted folding knife for edc/defense...

I would also like to find a local class. I thought about ordering Michael Janice's DVD.

While I'm here: is it legal to keep my 3" Kershaw in my pocket while I'm in my kid's school? (in NC)
    XD40SC in SuperTuck
    Sig P220
    SW442
    Rem 870 Exprss

2. Remove Ads

i second those who advised the spyderco endura or the banchmade grip or mini grip
    if you want it a little smaller. but in the end its all up to you ! as long as you choose
    a name brand i dont think you can go wrong imo. spyderco and benchmade have some
    of the best warrenties on the market

The thing with assisted knives and autos isn't speed as much as it's the ease of opening one-handed. This can be important if your other hand is occupied. Also, depending on the knife, the opening action can be intimidating.

There are several ways to go regarding knife training. You could look at a seminar if you want, but in my experience the fighting arts aren't things you pick up over a weekend intensive. You need reflexes that are grooved and responses that are automatic. That's comes with regular practice.

Another problem with "knife classes" per se is that they will tend to focus on set applications. The kind of training that you really want is the sort where you get regular practice with all kinds of attacks, random attacks, unscripted situations you can set up with your training partners. Escrima, Kali, Indonesian and Filipino arts are very good here. So are some styles of kung fu. Also, just straight classic Okinawan styles of karate are excellent training for knife combat.

Two things are unlikely to be needed in real life: commando attack and gangland knife fight. You probably won't be sneaking up behind armed guards to take them out, and you seldom will find yourself on the set of West Side Story.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

If you want a legal alternative to the assisted/auto openers, then look at Emerson knives with their "wave" feature. My personal favorite Emerson is the CQC-10 since I prefer thumbholes to their thumb disk. If you don't mind the thumb disk then I'd give the CQC-15 or Mini CQC-15 the nod, although their CQC-13 Bowie would be amazing too!

If I've got to trust my life to a knife, then I'd definitely want the knife to be an Emerson or Strider. Distant 3rd choice maybe a Spyderco Military.
    ~
    Kimber Tactical Pro / SIG P238
    Strider SMF / PT
    Leatherman Squirt PS4

Spyderco Endura or Benchmade Griptilian. I have come to prefer the "hole" for opening over a stud.
    The Spyderco Endura gives more carry options. That may or may not be a big deal for you.
    The Benchmade Griptilian gives more opening options. That may or not be a big deal for you.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Personally I like Kershaw knives best. Watch out for Benchmade knives and others that put the pocket clip on the wrong end of the knife. The clip should mount to the knife on the same end that the blade hinges. Especially if the knife has a thumb stud on the blade. The thumb stud and catch on your pocket or anything else with a downward force and then you have a knife with an open blade. That blade can end up in your forearm or hand. Personal experience. Luckily I noticed it right after it barely missed ending up in my forearm.

Get something that the clip is mounted to the knife on the same end as the blade hinge, or can be switched to either end (like some of the Kershaw's). I got rid of 2 or 3 Benchmade knives because of their design. Not to mention they are expensive.

A lot of Kershaw's are assisted opening, but they have some that are not. Shop online and you can find better prices. I have two Kershaw knives that run about $60 in stores, but I got them for $29 online.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Personally I like Kershaw knives best. Watch out for Benchmade knives and others that put the pocket clip on the wrong end of the knife. The clip should mount to the knife on the same end that the blade hinges. Especially if the knife has a thumb stud on the blade. The thumb stud and catch on your pocket or anything else with a downward force and then you have a knife with an open blade. That blade can end up in your forearm or hand. Personal experience. Luckily I noticed it right after it barely missed ending up in my forearm.
    - Are you talking about a knife with tip down carry? That's the only knife I've ever been spiked by (Benchmade Aphid). I'm not sure how it opened, but when I put my hand in my pocket to get keys and pull them out, I got spiked really good. I now only carry knives that are tip up with the blade against the back of my pocket.

my vote goes to the blackhawk crucible or bewarned either one! i have been carrying a crucible for years now and love it! i hve bought another as a back up! and i have to of the bewarned knives as well! but mostly i carry the crucible cause i like a good big defense knife, but if i am wearing dress pants or such were the weight of the crucible might be an issue i carry the bewarned cause it is very light!!
    and as far as training goes! it is going to be hard to find a class that offers simple cross motor skill tecnics that you can actually use on the street for self defense!
    i usd to carry benchmade autos all the time but found the work i do i have to clean them about every few weeks so they open properly due to dirt and link and stuff in pockets! so i now only carry manual opining folders and with a little training i have learned to open a manual just as fast as an auto, and with only one hand!!
    i usally do not recommend videos as a traning tool but i found one awhile back at a store that taught me alot and started me really getting into the knife self defense scene!
    it was micheal janich's video (Tactical folders) you can get in on ebay still i think! it taught me the quick one handed openings and a few cross motor skill technics that can be used under stress!

ever since watching this video, it started it all for me, i have always carried a knife but never knew what they were capable of! since that first vid i have gotten more training and other sources for knife self defense! they may be hard to find but they are out there!!

good luck in your search and be safe!! later
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

[QUOTE=tkruf;1746012] Watch out for Benchmade knives and others that put the pocket clip on the wrong end of the knife. The clip should mount to the knife on the same end that the blade hinges. Especially if the knife has a thumb stud on the blade.

Get something that the clip is mounted to the knife on the same end as the blade hinge, or can be switched to either end (like some of the Kershaw's). I got rid of 2 or 3 Benchmade knives because of their design. Not to mention they are expensive.

i have to dissagree here! i perfer the tip up carry in my front pocket! if you carry tip down you have to rotate the knife in your hand before you can open it! witch is slower getting into action! tip up you can clip the knife in your pocket so that when you draw it, it is in the position in your hand to open it without rotating the knife, or anyother movement that is unnessisary!

i also carry nothing else in my pocket that the knife it clipped to! just like when you carry a gun ina pocket you do not want nothing catching on it and pulling the trigger or snagging it making it hard to draw! same thing with a knife! nothing else in the pocket and you wont have anything opening the blade or snagging your draw when you need it!
    stay safe ,,,later

Quote Originally Posted by kyglockman View Post
    i have to dissagree here! i perfer the tip up carry in my front pocket! if you carry tip down you have to rotate the knife in your hand before you can open it! witch is slower getting into action! tip up you can clip the knife in your pocket so that when you draw it, it is in the position in your hand to open it without rotating the knife, or anyother movement that is unnessisary!
    I have to disagree with you! If you carry tip up you have to walk your hand forward on the knife to position the knife for opening! I would much rather need only to rotate the knife! It is pretty irritating when someone uses exclamation points after every sentence! Isn't it!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I have to disagree with you! If you carry tip up you have to walk your hand forward on the knife to position the knife for opening! I would much rather need only to rotate the knife! It is pretty irritating when someone uses exclamation points after every sentence! Isn't it!
    *LOL* That's kinda funny!

I prefer tip-up now but I was a tip-down preferred knife carrier for quite a while. You can stop the knife from opening on you by keeping the blade along the seam of your pants and dodge the hand walking by keeping the knife reasonable in size and by grabbing deep as you draw it.
    Those tip-up knives with the nicer Spyderco/Benchmade clips can be easily taken out by placing the middle finger of the drawing hand in the scoop at the bottom of the clip as you draw it. Then you simply roll the knife in your hand as you make your hammer fist for easy access to the opener with your thumb. No walking or flipping and it's not tough to do.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    actually i was not paying attention...................... i do them out of habit from typing at work............ i would have not known if you hadnt brought it to my attention!!! so thank you i will try to get a hold on that in the future!!! dang there i go again!

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    *LOL* That's kinda funny!

I prefer tip-up now but I was a tip-down preferred knife carrier for quite a while. You can stop the knife from opening on you by keeping the blade along the seam of your pants and dodge the hand walking by keeping the knife reasonable in size and by grabbing deep as you draw it.
    Those tip-up knives with the nicer Spyderco/Benchmade clips can be easily taken out by placing the middle finger of the drawing hand in the scoop at the bottom of the clip as you draw it. Then you simply roll the knife in your hand as you make your hammer fist for easy access to the opener with your thumb. No walking or flipping and it's not tough to do.
    you said it perfect! i left out the deep draw and the blade along the seam of the pants so it could not open. later

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post

A lot of Kershaw's are assisted opening, but they have some that are not. Shop online and you can find better prices. I have two Kershaw knives that run about $60 in stores, but I got them for $29 online.
    I agree here, I do like Kershaw knives (some don't), and I have about six of them. Some have been around for years without problems.
    Easy one-handed open/close...the practice closing part may require bandaids.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by kyglockman View Post
    actually i was not paying attention...................... i do them out of habit from typing at work............ i would have not known if you hadnt brought it to my attention!!! so thank you i will try to get a hold on that in the future!!! dang there i go again!
    LOL, just kiddin' with you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links