Scrap Yard Knives

Scrap Yard Knives

This is a discussion on Scrap Yard Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So who uses or owns a Scrap Yard Knife? I handled one at Knob Creek this past weekend and liek the feel of them. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Yard Knives

Scrap Yard Knives

So who uses or owns a Scrap Yard Knife? I handled one at Knob Creek this past weekend and liek the feel of them. I am looking for a good no nosense fixed balde working knife for my BOB/Get Home Bag. Seem to be reasonably priced. I have also been considering RAT/ESEE cutlery. As expected the salesman for Scrap Yard told me their product is much better than any RAT/ESEE product. let me know what you all think.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I own both of these:

Amazon.com: GERBER Survival Guardian Back-Up Md: 05803.: Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com: Gerber 22-01463 Coyote Brown LMF II Infantry Knife: Home Improvement

Took both of them to Afghanistan and Iraq with me. I personally prefer the back-up. It's big enough to do what you need it to, but small enough to carry easily.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    So who uses or owns a Scrap Yard Knife? I handled one at Knob Creek this past weekend and liek the feel of them. I am looking for a good no nosense fixed balde working knife for my BOB/Get Home Bag. Seem to be reasonably priced. I have also been considering RAT/ESEE cutlery. As expected the salesman for Scrap Yard told me their product is much better than any RAT/ESEE product. let me know what you all think.
    Do they have a warranty like ESEE?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    Do they have a warranty like ESEE?
    their warranty:

Our guarantee is simple. We warrant your knife against any and all unintentional MAJOR damage for life. The Scrap Yard guarantee is on the knife and NOT just for the original owner.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    their warranty:
    i just looked at their site. they have some pretty nice knives, but that handle stuff is weird. I know its a great compound, but you cant take them off if you wanted to. The steel they use is ok, but nothing great. Most of them are SR-77, there is like one INFI and a 154cm. I think 1095 is still a better choice for these types of knives.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Their warranty: Our guarantee is simple. We warrant your knife against any and all unintentional MAJOR damage for life. The Scrap Yard guarantee is on the knife and NOT just for the original owner.
    ESEE warranty: No Questions Asked Warranty. If you screw it up, break it, or cut it in two with a cutting torch, send it back and we'll replace it. Warranty is transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away. We don't ask for a sales receipt, date of purchase or where you bought the knife - No fine print and no hassles.

As you can see, ESEE has a superior warranty.

I would rather buy a Busse

Scrap Yard is a good knife It has the same warranty as a Busse. The handle material gives a good grip and they are a good price.Your only problem is you probably missed your chance to easily buy one.They do not sell knifes retail like other companys. The only model available on their site now is the Regulator Bowie so you will probably have to buy anything else on the secondary market.As for a comparison to ESEE I think Scrap Yard is a tougher knife and would take more abuse than ESEE but I would feel well equipped with either.

I was very close to buying one at Knob Creek....it was at the Busse table. I think I might still lean towards a RAT/ESEE
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    Scrap Yard is a good knife It has the same warranty as a Busse. The handle material gives a good grip and they are a good price.Your only problem is you probably missed your chance to easily buy one.They do not sell knifes retail like other companys. The only model available on their site now is the Regulator Bowie so you will probably have to buy anything else on the secondary market.As for a comparison to ESEE I think Scrap Yard is a tougher knife and would take more abuse than ESEE but I would feel well equipped with either.
    do you own and ESEE?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    do you own and ESEE?
    No, but I have handled ESEE knifes a few times and as I said I would feel well equipped with a ESEE for all normal a reasonable duties. I just feel that if in an emergency I had to use my knife to do something that would cross into the abuse realm the scrapyard would hold up better but please feel free to disagree. I will probably get the ESEE folder when it comes out but as much as I like the ESEE line of knifes I have a Busse or Busse family knife that falls into the class it falls into so I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    No, but I have handled ESEE knifes a few times and as I said I would feel well equipped with a ESEE for all normal a reasonable duties. I just feel that if in an emergency I had to use my knife to do something that would cross into the abuse realm the scrapyard would hold up better but please feel free to disagree. I will probably get the ESEE folder when it comes out but as much as I like the ESEE line of knifes I have a Busse or Busse family knife that falls into the class it falls into so I haven't pulled the trigger on one.
    i know you cant really take my word for it without actually trying the knife for yourself, but believe me, an ESEE will take anything you can throw at it. I use my knives pretty hard, especially my fixed blades. My ESEE is the only one that im not afraid to do anything with. you could chop down a tree and it will still be shaving sharp. In the event that it cant handle the task you put it to, ESEE will gladly replace it no questions asked. Im a member on the ESEE forum and i believe out of the 7000 or so Izula models they have made, only 1 has ever been returned for the warranty. I know the Izula is the smalled knife they make, but what does that say about their quality and toughness.

i invite you to go get yourself one. if you end up not liking it, you can easily get back what you paid for it.

I wouldn't split hairs here... Steel of any type can fail at some point.

Busse and RAT/ESEE are probably some of the best knifes out there. They both have a great reputation.

RAT/ESEE knives have been cutting and hacking their way through the South American jungle for 15 years getting put through their paces without fail in Randall Adventure Training's Jungle Survival School. And that's impressive enough for me, and probably anyone else who has spent time in a jungle environment. You have to be in one, to really appreciate the difficulty of living in that environment.

However, RAT/ESEE tells you right up front what their knives are made of. 1095 carbon steel. So right off the bat, I have a loose idea what the capabilities of a 1095 carbon steel knife is capable of doing. And the warranty on the RAT/ESEE is just as straight forward and spelled out. You break it, We replace it. No questions asked. And no receipt, date of purchase or name of store required. Heck you don't even have to be the original owner. (Heck, you could be walking down a dirt road in Panama, find one laying in a ditch in 3 pieces, pick it up, mail it in and get a brand new one. Now that's customer service!)

Busse, I have yet to find a direct answer on what specific type of steel they use. It's like it's some super secret proprietary mystery metal. I've seen some reference to a "modified 52100 steel" being used on their "low end" knives, but who knows for sure? And what about their "high end" knives? For all we know, it's 1095.

I find Busse to be a little pricey for a knife you can't find out what it's made of. Come on folks, I'm buying a knife. Why can't I know what kind of steel is used?

Even TOPS, another high dollar knife tells you what kind of steel is used.

Sure I'd like to have a Busse, but I ain't buying one anytime soon. Something just rubs me the wrong way about the price and the secrecy.

I do however, plan on buying at least two RAT/ESEE knives before this year is up (RC-3MIL/ser & RC-5/plain). And if the folding Izula is in production by then, I'll be buying one of them too.

One thing is certain, for some people, a knife is a very personal item! You get the one you want and like and then you'll cherish it like an old friend forever. And like an old friend, you'll defend it against all others. JMHO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Well said, Bark'n!

One thing that I can have found is that as you go up in "quality" of knife steels, like anything out there, you rapidly start getting diminishing returns for the extra cost.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Busse uses INFI, a proprietary steel that is apparently very similar to 52100 in tests.

Swamp Rat knives is run by Jerry Busse's wife. It's the same general theory of knifemaking, but at a lower price point.

Scrap Yard knives uses leftovers from Swamp Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links