Large versatile survival type knife?

This is a discussion on Large versatile survival type knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm lucky enough to have my dad's Kbar from when he was in the Navy during WWII. Being in the Navy, he didn't have much ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large versatile survival type knife?

I'm lucky enough to have my dad's Kbar from when he was in the Navy during WWII. Being in the Navy, he didn't have much use for it so it is in like new condition. Sweet knife. It's part of my "survival" gear.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If you're planning on even minor survival shelter building and you're not planning on alsp packing a hand AX or saw then a 15" or a 16" overall length knife with kick-ass chopping ability is a necessity.

You can accomplish "small knife chores" with a large knife though it's a little bit more of a PITA but, you cannot accomplish "large knife tasks" with a knife that is too small without a great expenditure of valuable time and lots of wasted energy.

Give me a large knife any old day coupled with a nice little high quality pocket folder.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I have on of these: GerberGear > Product Details > LMF II

I've been very pleased with it. Extremely durable, and you can usually find them around ~$70.
    Awesome knife!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would NOT want one of these as a main blade for survival or woodcraft apps because they suck at chopping but, everybody should have one or two of these.
    Even though they do not chop on their own very well you CAN beat the back of the blade with a rock to split wood.
    They just do not break.

Also Note....the supplied sheath sucks but for $20.00 who cares?

I keep one in the vehicle trunk. Wife uses hers for general gardening apps and digging weeds. I have yet another one tossed in with my SHTF stuff as a secondary knife.

COLD STEEL THE BUSHMAN

A measly $20.00 Buy It Now on Ebay.

You can just Beat The Livin' Crap out of them.

They do not hold a long lasting keen edge but, they are a breeze to field sharpen with ease just like a machete.

You can dig dirt with them. Mount them on a shaft - Do all of your crappy abusive knife work with one of these.

Ditto shooter buy 3 or 4 of them you can beat the crap out of them and they just keep going. My wife uses one for yard work....hit it on the steel a few times and it's good as new.

I've got my dad's army issue knife from Korea and just got my Kershaw Outcast for camping/survival. I'm set.

Kershaw Outcast Knife 10" D2 Tool Steel Black Teflon Coated Modified Drop Point Blade Santoprene Handle Black - MidwayUSA
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

The good ole k-bar as issued to marines did extremly well when compared against the high dollar knives in many of the knife durability tests. For the money its hard to beat. Stay away from hollow handle designs. Cold steel as already mentioned is also a very good buy. Consider what tasks you will be asking the knife to do, battoning wood, building shelter, selfdefense, fielddressing game? Knives are like guns, they excel at some things and fall short on others. The k-bar is the versatile knife I can think of and I have about 20 or so.

Administrator

The D2 Tool Steel KaBar by Ontario Knife is a nice knife that can really take a downright serious beating.
    It's not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The good ole k-bar as issued to marines did extremly well when compared against the high dollar knives in many of the knife durability tests. For the money its hard to beat. Stay away from hollow handle designs. Cold steel as already mentioned is also a very good buy. Consider what tasks you will be asking the knife to do, battoning wood, building shelter, selfdefense, fielddressing game? Knives are like guns, they excel at some things and fall short on others. The k-bar is the versatile knife I can think of and I have about 20 or so.

Administrator

The Ontario RAT 7 (TOP) is a great all purpose survival/camp knife.
    A good knife design. Mine has the partial serrations.
    Get the one in D2 (see the "D2" inside the triangular logo)
    If it's not marked D2 then it's 1095 Carbon.

Specs:
    D2 Steel powder coat finish.
    Full tang construction
    59 RC blade hardness.
    7" blade length
    12" overall length
    3/16" blade thickness
    Handle: Linen Micarta
    Lined Cordura sheath system

Search Ebay for Ontario RAT 7 - There are a few D2 Tool Steel listed on there.

My Survival Tools for my Go Bag: Leatherman Surge, Bahco Laplander 7" Folding Saw, U-Dig-IT Folding Trowel, SOG SEAL PUP

The SOG knife will soon be replaced by a Rat Cutlery/ESEE RC-3MIL and an RC-5.

I will probably replace the Folding Trowel with a Gerber Gorge Folding Shovel, but I want to check it out first and see what it's like.

I prefer a good quality folding saw instead of a hatchet or short axe because they are lighter weight, cuts more efficiently (my opinion), uses less energy, and less dangerous when tired, fatigued or under stress in a survival situation. Advantages of an axe or hatchet is you can resharpen the blade, axe can cut large diameter wood and the head is more durable. Not enough advantages to warrant carrying instead of a good folding saw. In a survival situation not sure the benefit of cutting large trees. Folding saw can handle anything from fire wood to building a "long term" semi-permanent shelter.

+1 on what TBob said:
    a knife handle is not a suitcase.
    Avoid the hollow handled "Rambo Knives."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by BAGMAN View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have my dad's Kbar from when he was in the Navy during WWII. Being in the Navy, he didn't have much use for it so it is in like new condition. Sweet knife. It's part of my "survival" gear.
    "Survival gear?" Wrong, it is now a family heirloom and collector's item. I will not forgive you if you make it your survival knife. Protect it, and get another one.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    "Survival gear?" Wrong, it is now a family heirloom and collector's item. I will not forgive you if you make it your survival knife. Protect it, and get another one.
    Roger That!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I still like the K-Bar...7" of steel...great for digging, chopping, opening up cans...I've got a bunch of Gerbers, including my old 1964 canted blade, but for good all around fun, nothing like a K-Bar...aka Kabar...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

I have heard great things about the Gerber LMF II. It is currently used by the United States Military and it you can find it online at a discount / wholesale store for about $90. Gerber Knives of this caliber are well made and highly used.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedrop View Post
    I have heard great things about the Gerber LMF II. It is currently used by the United States Military and it you can find it online at a discount / wholesale store for about $90. Gerber Knives of this caliber are well made and highly used.
    $65 and change on Amazon.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

To me a survival knife is exactly what the title says. A knife that I can use for all things I need to do to survive. It must be indestructible, able to take a razor edge and hold that edge. Easy to sharpen with whatever is available. Big enough for the big jobs like splitting wood, use as a weapon if need be but not so big that it is cumbersome or unable to do the finer tasks. I suspect those that are fans of these huge survival knives have never tried to skin a squirrel, clean a fish, shave a feather stick or cut notches in branches for tools and shelters with one of their swords. I do not know what they imagine survival in the wilderness is like but you are far more likely going to be shaving wood for kindling, cleaning a fish or squirrel than to be be running down moose fighting grizzly bears or swarms of hostile natives. I think that about a 5 inch blade is ideal.

The Becker BK2 made by Ka-Bar full tang straight edge flat ground blade with a drop point made of 1095 high carbon steel at a full quarter inch thick, five and a quarter inches long by one and three quarter inches wide fits that definition perfectly. As well as or better than some high end custom knives that I have that cost eight times as much.

For a over a year it has been often been my EDC around the homestead as I do my chores. An example of a days use is; Hacking through ice that a shovel won't go through. Trim branches to an inch thick in a single stroke off of dead fall trees all day long. Chopping those trees up and batoning them for fire wood. Cutting baling wire and rope to tie some wood bundles to take camping. Open up some number ten cans. Slice left over rib roast, tomatoes, and onions for sandwiches. Cut off the end of a negative car battery cable to replace the connector. Butcher and skin a rabbit the dog caught. Split the carcass to lay it flat in a green wood grill made with the same knife. Shave magnesium to start the fire with. Spiral cut an inch square piece of scrap leather to make 10 feet of string to stretch the hide. Crack the skull open to get the brains to tan with. Cut the tags off of some clothes the wife bought and a piece of string off of a dress she was wearing. Without once needing to be sharpened. All in all it does everything I would need to survive in the wilderness.
    Inside the hollow removable Grivory handles I have put a mini survival kit with some sandpaper, fishing line, a snare wire, a wire saw, fire stick, a couple of .45 caliber candles a couple of hooks and some duct tape. The lanyard is made of about six foot of paracord. If I ever die in the wilderness it will not be because the BK2 failed me.

Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links