Large versatile survival type knife? - Page 3

Large versatile survival type knife?

This is a discussion on Large versatile survival type knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Passin' Through I've got my dad's army issue knife from Korea and just got my Kershaw Outcast for camping/survival. I'm set. Kershaw ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I've got my dad's army issue knife from Korea and just got my Kershaw Outcast for camping/survival. I'm set.

Kershaw Outcast Knife 10" D2 Tool Steel Black Teflon Coated Modified Drop Point Blade Santoprene Handle Black - MidwayUSA
    I suggest you test that blade. I have one. Beside being a bit big for some of the tasks I mentioned above the D2 was prone to chipping under heavy chopping. Mine chipped badly limbing some tree branches. D2 is a nightmare to sharpen in the wilderness, which is why I like 1095 carbon steel. If I have to I can sharpen 1095 with a rock. I like RAT knives in 1095 not D2 for that reason.

That said the Outcast is a great camp knife. and plus 1 on the hollow handled Rambo knives being POS
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I suggest you test that blade. I have one. Beside being a bit big for some of the tasks I mentioned above the D2 was prone to chipping under heavy chopping. Mine chipped badly limbing some tree branches. D2 is a nightmare to sharpen in the wilderness, which is why I like 1095 carbon steel. If I have to I can sharpen 1095 with a rock. That said the Outcast is a great camp knife

I plan on doing a couple of three day trials with my Outcast. Good advice... I'm also packing a good sharpening kit just in case.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    I plan on doing a couple of three day trials with my Outcast. Good advice... I'm also packing a good sharpening kit just in case.
    Good plan. I ended up putting a convex edge on my Outcast to improve edge durability. So I only need bring along a couple of sheets of sandpaper if I need to touch up the edge.
    Putting a convex edge on an Outcast is a nightmare task to be sure. I have since found a guy who will put a hair splitting convex edge on an OutCast for about $20. In retrospect I'd go that route if I had to do it again. I ate $20 up in stones alone not to mention time and aggravation. D2 is tough stuff to re profile and sharpen. If you want to go that route I can send you his contact info.

A sharpening kit for a survival knife is not of much value if you do not have it with you when you get lost or are out in the wilderness. Again one of the reasons I prefer 1095 as you can sharpen it on any flat stone, plus 1095 really holds an edge. For the Outcast cut some inner tubes into large rubber bands and attach your sharpening kit to the Outcast's sheath. I use that method to attach survival kits to all of my Beckers, and the Outcast. In a pinch the rubber can be used as an excellent tinder

For the OP, There is a pretty good article on survival knives at 9 Becker Knives For Survival. Follow the links on the different knives. The article is a bit dated and says Beckers are no longer available but they in fact are now being made by Ka-Bar. It is a great match, since Ka-Bar is reputed to do the best heat treat on 1095 that there is. So it is great to see them making knives for such a well renowned and respected knife maker. Tomars Ka-Bars has great deals on Ka-Bars and Beckers, excellent service too.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I agree with Top, the Moras are awesome knives at any price. Anything by Bark River also. I would recommend everyone go get a Mora and try it out. I have tried a bunch and if you are looking for a user get a Mora!

Administrator
    It is sort of extra critical with D2 that D2 Tool Steel be perfectly hardened/heat-treated or it will edge chip if too hard.

With that regard I guess it's like nearly every other hardened knife Steel in that over or under hardening and a poor temper will result in a bad blade that will either be too soft to hold an edge or will edge-chip out.

Any knife of any Steel that is over hardened will result in a blade that can snap right in half. So it is important to test any knife before venturing out with it and/or betting you life on it.

1095 is a good and proved knife steel that has certainly earned its place for proved woodcraft and survival apps.
    I do think that properly heat treated D2 has some superior advantage over 1095.
    Sharpening a D2 knife in the field is not any more difficult than putting an edge on any other knife but, a Diamond hone/sharpener is the best choice.

The main reason that some knife makers do not like it is that it is a difficult Steel to work in order to fashion a blade from it and even annealed it is tougher on sanding belts for stock removal knives.
    It is more more work to make a great knife from D2 than from 1095.
    Just my opinion on the above.
    See the VID on knifetests.com of the Reeve hollow handle "survival" where the blade snaps right in half.

Regarding some with their opinion on LARGE knives - I used to head out to the land that God & Time Forgot every year.
    When I go I go alone and usually for at least 2 to 3 weeks and long before GPS locators were invented.
    I personally prefer a larger knife in combination with a smaller knife for finer cutting chores.
    But, it is possible to choke up on a larger blade and do the finer and more delicate cutting tasks which while a slight PITA requires much less expended time, energy, and effort than trying to do things like accomplish shelter building, raft building, site clearing etc...while being relegated/obligated to a knife that is too small. For me, I would rather have more blade and use less of it than have less blade and not enough available.
    Again...that is what logically works for me and I am no amateur Sunday camper.
    I guess that is why we can choose from the thousands of different knives available in myriads of lengths, steels, styles & configurations and decide as individuals what works best for us as (hopefully) survivors of whatever gets tossed our way.

One other thing that I would like to add to this thread is my statement that even with great, high quality knives MANY of the factory supplied sheaths absolutely suck (big time) in the wild and in actual use.
    They are terrible so think hard about investing in a "Sheath Upgrade" in either a well constructed Kydex or leather.

Depends on what you're going to do with it. If you are a survivalist, I would recommend looking at TOPS Knives Tom Brown Tracker. Mine is great for anything you need to do around a campsite or deep in the "rough".

TOPS Knives.com

It's designed for chopping, hacking, and skinning as well as serving as a draw knife (really useful for making tinder), or even a scribing carving tool.

High price, but well worth it if you're headed "out there".

Otherwise, a good Ka-bar or Glock 81 knife will serve you well for years to come.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Administrator
    TOPS Knives Tom Brown Tracker.

Hmmm, I'm going through this decision on a survival knife at the moment as well.

Thus far, I've narrowed my own search down to a Kabar "Heavy Bowie" (9 inch)

nutnfancy review
    YouTube - Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie: Wicked and Cheap

and a Becker BK-9 (9 inch)--also comes with the free 2 1/4 inch BKT-13 knife.

Becker Knife and Tool, CM-BK9 Bowie

nutnfancy review
    YouTube - Becker Survival Knives: Gone But Not Forgotten

Still looking myself...sigh
    Leaning towards the Becker BK-9

Perhaps one of these (or even in the 7" model) would work for you, fernset.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links