SOG Flash II Aluminum vs. Zytel?

This is a discussion on SOG Flash II Aluminum vs. Zytel? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the Flash II and hope to add one to my collection, but hit a snag: which handle material is best? I searched for ...

Thread: SOG Flash II Aluminum vs. Zytel?

I like the Flash II and hope to add one to my collection, but hit a snag: which handle material is best?

I searched for a comparison of aluminum and zytel, to no avail. I'd be prejudiced towards the metal, but if there's no advantage why pay more for extra weight?

Does anyone have both?

Before I post the below information I just purchased the Flash II with zytel handels for 36 bucks off of Amazon. I love the knife but I found this review and will post others if I do.

Edit: The zytel does not bother my grip at all. I only mention this because some people like it and others do not. I also posted 3 reviews from others that are somewhat negative towards zytel and those opinions are just that and nothing more but I found some bad and posted it to help you. Not too slam zytel.

Source: SOG Specialty Knives Flash II Half Serratedblade Knife Review | A "CUT" above the rest!!

"I started with the SOG Flash II with the zytel handels and it lasted about 5 months of field use before the handles broke and the knife was useless. Being in Iraq it was very difficult to do anything except do without a folding knife. Now that I have the aluminum handles I don't worry about anything breaking. The SOG blades hold an edge better than any other knife than I have used or that my dad has used, he spent 12 years in the USMC as a Scout Sniper and he said his SOG Bowie did a lot more than most blades should ever need too and he would still trust it in combat to this day. I sure hope he's serious because it's on my belt for my second tour. If you are going into harms way or have a loved one who is, ANY of the SOG brand blades would be a great "tool" for them to carry with them. SEMPER FI."

Found some other information for you.

Source: Yahoo! Canada Answers - Is the SOG Flash II a good knife?

One more thing to keep in mind is Zytel. It's not the best handle material. If you check on bladeforums you'll find reports on Zytel deforming and separating from the liners. Especially under hot conditions. As far as I know, in cold weather Zytel has troubles too.

One last one to help you out.

Source: SOG Flash II: Light Weight, Big Blade : Weight Management

MrDamascusman says:

November 28, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I have a flash II, and it’s been my edc blade for over a year now. I love it, and my only beef is that the blade has developed a bit of wiggle over time. This is probably due to the zytel in the handle, which my not be as strong as aluminum or steel. It’s still great, though, and I can overcome it’s one con for all it’s pros.

thnx!

I have carried a SOG Flash 1 (converted to auto) for 6-7 years. There is absolutely no problem with the Zytel handles. If you need a pry bar, get one. The Flash is a knife!

Seen many reports where the zytel handles allowed the blade to eventually loosen, but I've also seen reports where the users were very satisfied with them. Same thing goes for aluminum, some thought they were great, and others thought the aluminum handles were too heavy. They both seem to have pros and cons, so I'm thinking it's a personal preference thing.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Sponsored Links