Knife for a Friend going to Iraq

This is a discussion on Knife for a Friend going to Iraq within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my baby by HK / benchmade: 14255 Details | Benchmade Wouldnt recommend anything else. I love the locking device. Very strong and very ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife for a Friend going to Iraq

This is my baby by HK / benchmade:
    14255 Details | Benchmade
    Wouldnt recommend anything else. I love the locking device. Very strong and very easy to use, even with gloves
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

I like Benchmade autos. You may not be able to purchase autos though. I would say any of the knives listed above will be good. The fact you guys are getting together and getting him something more than a beer before he leaves is pretty awesome.

Multi Tools are being issued in our pre deployment RFI, so he should receive one from the military. That said you can never have too many multi tools. I know my last deployment I had been in Kuwait 4 days and had already left mine sitting on the range.

Another thing to consider. We got all that stuff issued to us prior to deployment. SOG multi-tools, Benchmade auto-folders. We were an Infantry Unit. Pretty sure desk jockeys didn't get that stuff though.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Here is my vote, but I am partial to it because it's my EDC. CRKT M16-14SF
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    . . . The answer to the OP's question is a high-quality Leatherman tool. They are generally more useful and important to have than any of the folders mentioned. Not that those aren't also nice to have, but a quality Leatherman is much more important.
    Absolutely. Oh, what I would have given to have had my Leatherman when I was in Vietnam (plus GPS, individual night vision units, and all the other goodies which were not available to inviduals back then).

My Buck and K-Bar fixed blades were great, but the Leatherman would have been incredibly useful.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    Another thing to consider. We got all that stuff issued to us prior to deployment. SOG multi-tools, Benchmade auto-folders. We were an Infantry Unit. Pretty sure desk jockeys didn't get that stuff though.
    Yes. I would not bother with a Gerber/Leatherman type tool. The Army gave me three of them last time I deployed.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I second the ZT which was my going away present to a friend that got deployed late last years.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

SOG Seal pup. thats what my usmc buddy had me send him.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would argue that a multi-tool and a knife are different things. Yes, multi-tools have knife blades on them, but they tend to be far inferior than a purpose-built knife in pretty much all important aspects like ergonomics, blade length, blade strength, etc.

If I asked for a knife to deploy with and got a *edited for content* multi-tool that I will probably be issued anyway or I can grab at a PX at any time, any place for under 50 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I've been to Iraq (08-09) and Afghanistan (03-04), and unless something had changed since then, the only problem he would have with a knife is if it would be illegal in the US.
    Yes, things have changed since then. All brands of crap are going on now that the mission has changed.

I've heard lots of stories from .mil and .civ folks getting jammed up over knives, either from CoC issues or various countries' customs agents.

i would go old school and get a ka-bar. they also make a folder called the field mule. but a good ka-bar is hard to beat. work for me in the early 70's.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I would argue that a multi-tool and a knife are different things. Yes, multi-tools have knife blades on them, but they tend to be far inferior than a purpose-built knife in pretty much all important aspects like ergonomics, blade length, blade strength, etc.

If I asked for a knife to deploy with and got a *edited for content* multi-tool that I will probably be issued anyway or I can grab at a PX at any time, any place for under 50 bucks?
    1. The OP's friend didn't ask for a knife to deploy with.
    2. We STILL don't know what the OP's friend's MOS or deployment mission are.
    3. You can buy a Ka-Bar or the majority of the knives listed here, including the Benchmade autos, Spydercos, CRKT, and Cold Steel fixed and folders in any moderate to large PX, so I'm not really sure what the difference is.
    4. The other issue at hand is that we have no idea what the OP's friend's unit will or will not issue him when he deploys. Knives and multitools are usually unit purchased and issued, not big Army.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Yes, things have changed since then. All brands of crap are going on now that the mission has changed.

I've heard lots of stories from .mil and .civ folks getting jammed up over knives, either from CoC issues or various countries' customs agents.
    Here is the easiest fix if this is a concern, if he doesn't want to ask his buddy what the rules are (though he should know, as customs, etc. is part of the mandatory predeployment briefs.)

Call the information number for the installation his buddy is stationed at (there should be one listed somewhere on the base's website; just google it), ask for the deployment processing center, or unit depending on the post (may also be called something like "soldier readiness processing center/site"), call the processing center.
    Once you get them, explain what he is trying to buy for his buddy. They will either know what is and isn't allowed, or know who to call to find out. Kind of painful, but it would help.

-----
    Also, 120mm, don't know if the .mils you are talking to are military, DOD Civilians or Contractors. If they're not uniformed military, that could be the discrepancy. The rules are very different for DOD Civ/Contractors than they are for us in uniform. Then again, things may have changed for us too, so the above instructions is the easiest way to keep his buddy out of trouble.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by logically View Post
    I have a good buddy of mine in the Army who is getting shipped to Iraq soon. He will be home one more time before he leaves. So me and the other guys want to all chip in and buy him a really nice folding knife for him to take with him on his tour. If we could keep it under $200 it would be nice... were not a really rich group of guys lol...

but any servicemen (or women) on here who recently came back or leaving soon or anything like that have any advice? Or I guess anyone that knows more about knives then me.... I am certainly not a knife newbie by any means... but i am not sure what is most useful for military personel.

We just really want to get him a good solid knife that will hold up in the demanding role of a service knife.

Thank you in advance for you help

Benchmade axis lock. Tell your friend thank you for his service.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    Zt 0350
    +1. The 0350 line has some really nice knives. Get him the desert tan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links