Knife for a Friend going to Iraq

This is a discussion on Knife for a Friend going to Iraq within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a good buddy of mine in the Army who is getting shipped to Iraq soon. He will be home one more time before ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a good buddy of mine in the Army who is getting shipped to Iraq soon. He will be home one more time before he leaves. So me and the other guys want to all chip in and buy him a really nice folding knife for him to take with him on his tour. If we could keep it under $200 it would be nice... were not a really rich group of guys lol...

but any servicemen (or women) on here who recently came back or leaving soon or anything like that have any advice? Or I guess anyone that knows more about knives then me.... I am certainly not a knife newbie by any means... but i am not sure what is most useful for military personel.

We just really want to get him a good solid knife that will hold up in the demanding role of a service knife.

Thank you in advance for you help
    A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it

Know a couple of active duty Marines who dig Spydercos and Benchmades. Spyderco Military comes to mind, or Benchmade Griptilian.

My favorite knife right now is the Emerson CQC-10. The Wave opening is one of the fastest opening blades on the market. It's in stock at Knifecenter right now, but Emerson Knives usually sell out quickly. Here's a Youtube torture test and a cutting test.

Benchmade, Spyderco and Zero Tolerance also make very nice knives. I would look at the Benchmade Rift and Spyderco Military.

Zt 0350

Gerber 06 Automatic. Fantastic knife. I beat the snot out of one quite a bit at work. Holds up extremely well. The blade is S30V steel, which is very tough. Holds an edge like no other knife i've owned. Lots of internet stores want $160-$200 for the knife, but this link may help. It's by far the cheapest i've found. There is a "fast" and automatic. I would spend the extra money on the auto, since its got the S30V blade, and the push button just plain nicer. It's one of the knives being issued to Marines if that helps ya out at all. Here ya go... Gerber 06 Automatic Knife

Administrator
    What is his MOS?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Gerber 06 Automatic. Fantastic knife. I beat the snot out of one quite a bit at work. Holds up extremely well. The blade is S30V steel, which is very tough. Holds an edge like no other knife i've owned. Lots of internet stores want $160-$200 for the knife, but this link may help. It's by far the cheapest i've found. There is a "fast" and automatic. I would spend the extra money on the auto, since its got the S30V blade, and the push button just plain nicer. It's one of the knives being issued to Marines if that helps ya out at all. Here ya go... Gerber 06 Automatic Knife
    Stay away from Botach.

Make sure it is legal for him to take there and bring back. The wrong blade length will result in some Kuwaiti, UAE or Iraqi security dude saying, "Cool! Look at this great knife I get to keep!"

Benchmade Infidel....Is one of the coolest autos I have ever seen.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Emerson supercommander times a million zillion votes!!!!!!
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Make sure it is legal for him to take there and bring back. The wrong blade length will result in some Kuwaiti, UAE or Iraqi security dude saying, "Cool! Look at this great knife I get to keep!"
    I've been to Iraq (08-09) and Afghanistan (03-04), and unless something had changed since then, the only problem he would have with a knife is if it would be illegal in the US. If it's legal in the US, he shouldn't have any problem. I took a Gerber LMF II (for my assault pack) and Guardian Backup (for my vest) to Iraq (the Guardian to both), with a few folders and had no issues (They just won't let them in the cabin of the commercial contract aircraft).
    ------
    My personal recommendation for your friend is to get him 2 or 3 of the mid price Gerber folders instead of one really expensive folder. It's to easy over their to jack one up, have it misplaced if it's not tied to you, or have it "borrowed" by someone. I personally prefer to keep 2-3 midpriced folders so that if one walks off/is damaged, it's no big loss and I have another.
    Just my .02.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    good advice lol!

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    My personal recommendation for your friend is to get him 2 or 3 of the mid price Gerber folders instead of one really expensive folder. It's to easy over their to jack one up, have it misplaced if it's not tied to you, or have it "borrowed" by someone. I personally prefer to keep 2-3 midpriced folders so that if one walks off/is damaged, it's no big loss and I have another.
    Just my .02.
    That's not a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What is his MOS?
    I am really not sure... I think he is just a private 1st class... i really don't know more than that... I'm not really a military expert, so sorry if I am misunderstanding that question.

but thanks for the pointers folks :)
    A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    First off, go fixed. Nothing to get gummed up in the sand and it's easier to deploy. Second, you'd be very hard pressed to go wrong with any of the ESEE or Benchmade mid-size, mid-range fixed blades. An RC-3 or RC-4 from ESEE or a Benchmade Rant Bowie or Drop Point would serve him very well and not break anyone's bank.
    Last edited by psychophipps; April 19th, 2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added some examples.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The question was "What is his job description?"

The answer to the OP's question is a high-quality Leatherman tool. They are generally more useful and important to have than any of the folders mentioned. Not that those aren't also nice to have, but a quality Leatherman is much more important.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    Just my .02.

I agree with this as well. Having served there also, "two is one, one is none". You could buy 2 good knives and have money left over for say a great pair of sunglasses! I prefer the SOG Aegis myself.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links