Your EDC Knife - Page 12

Your EDC Knife

This is a discussion on Your EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i edc a camillus lev-r-lok . at the moment but might soon be updating to one of this three a benchmade nitrous stryker or a ...

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 482
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Your EDC Knife

  1. #166
    Member Array cervantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    albuquerque,nm
    Posts
    23
    i edc a camillus lev-r-lok . at the moment but might soon be updating to one of this three a benchmade nitrous stryker
    or a zero tolerance model 0300 or a rick hinderer xm-18 but not sure which i want to get first


  2. #167
    VIP Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,050
    enter the tops california cobra! this thing is wicked fix blade
    Never heard of the company or the knife, so I took a look. Holy smokes, gents, check this thing out:



    From the literature:

    With Input From Kenpo (A Japanese Martial Arts Form) And Police Instructor Jed Lewis, Leo (The Lion) Espinosa Designed The Tops Knives California Cobra As A Self Defense Tool, Tops Soon Discovered, However, That The Design Lended Itself To Utility Applications As Well. The Integral 'Cal. Cobra' Sports A Pronounced Recurved Blade That Is Double Edged, With Roughly The First Two Thirds Of The Blade Spine, From Tip To Back, Sharpened. Additionally, The Integral Finger Guard Is Spiked At The End.
    For daily carry I've been favoring the CRKT Razel, and when thinking SD I'll bring either a Ti Lite or a Kerambit. But this Cal Cobra just might find a way into my collection. There's a lot to like about this knife from a martial perspective. Like a Kerambit, the design looks to be all about comma cutting and punching. Thanks for the heads up, Kentucky.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  3. #168
    Senior Member Array DUNDEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    509
    Below is a link to my Kershaw Blackout

    http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

  4. #169
    Member Array soonershoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    304
    I rotate between a Chris Reeve sebenza, Spyderco manix, CRKT M16 and a Benchmade 921 switchback.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

  5. #170
    Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas, in the RGV
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Never heard of the company or the knife, so I took a look. Holy smokes, gents, check this thing out:



    From the literature:



    For daily carry I've been favoring the CRKT Razel, and when thinking SD I'll bring either a Ti Lite or a Kerambit. But this Cal Cobra just might find a way into my collection. There's a lot to like about this knife from a martial perspective. Like a Kerambit, the design looks to be all about comma cutting and punching. Thanks for the heads up, Kentucky.
    That extra curved bit seems like it would take the bite of the blade from the slash and remove the hammer grip stabbing that handles of that type naturally make you think of. I vote, "More show than go" on this one... Keeping in mind that "double-edged = dagger" in most jurisdictions and it's definitely not all that hot for most civilians to use.

  6. #171
    Member Array cervantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    albuquerque,nm
    Posts
    23
    i edc a camillus lev-r-lok . but looking to update soon i got three in mind a zero tolerence 0300,
    a benchmade nitrious styker, or a rick hinderer xm-18.

  7. #172
    Member Array kyglockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    backwoods of kentucky
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Never heard of the company or the knife, so I took a look. Holy smokes, gents, check this thing out:



    From the literature:



    For daily carry I've been favoring the CRKT Razel, and when thinking SD I'll bring either a Ti Lite or a Kerambit. But this Cal Cobra just might find a way into my collection. There's a lot to like about this knife from a martial perspective. Like a Kerambit, the design looks to be all about comma cutting and punching. Thanks for the heads up, Kentucky.
    your welcome! i have been carrying it for 3 days now now and love it! if all goes well in the next few weeks it will replace my blackhawk kalista for good!! stay safe , later
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

  8. #173
    Member Array kyglockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    backwoods of kentucky
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    That extra curved bit seems like it would take the bite of the blade from the slash and remove the hammer grip stabbing that handles of that type naturally make you think of. I vote, "More show than go" on this one... Keeping in mind that "double-edged = dagger" in most jurisdictions and it's definitely not all that hot for most civilians to use.
    i was a little sceptical as well at first but after reading into it more and learning how it is supposed to be used i got why it was designed! and after i got it and held it, it is a quite capable SD tool!! the sting as they call it(point right below the blade) is a less then lethal option to get somebody to release their grip on you without cutting them! and as of now if has not hindered any of my test as far as getting in the way of cutting/ slashing! even though it has a 2 sided blade it is less then 3 inches and in most places it will be legal! but just incase check your logal laws before carrying!! and the top blade is deff one thing i love about it!! in the sence that if i miss with the first cut / slash i can catch them with the top blade on my return draw back to retension without rotating my wrist to get the primary blade to contact the subject!! and even if i make contact on the first strike cut with the main blade say on the bicep all i have to do is draw the knife staight back and use the top blade to make a cut on the tricep without having to rotate my wrist to make the cut! you accomplish pretty much two srikes with basicly the body movement of one after cutting the bicep your body and blade are already behind the arm of the bicep you just cut so just drawing the knife back the way it came from without having to rotate the wrist all you have to do is twist your hips back the way they came from(the direction they are already loaded in to go) and you achieve 2 cuts with less body movement and less complex motors skills!! but that is just frist thoughts and first round testing! i will do more as i get more time!! stay safe later
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

  9. #174
    New Member Array dussandr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE TX
    Posts
    13
    An old Precise Deerslayer buck knife.
    Taste the wares, Email.
    G23/442/T85UL

  10. #175
    VIP Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,050
    it is a quite capable SD tool!!
    I would imagine so. You got me interested in the Tops Knife Company, so I went through their site, and it seems that this is a knifemaker run by professional defense experts. They aren't going to be making any products that haven't been approved by military and martial arts designers. This Besh G2G, for example, shows the kind of attention to detail I see in the California Cobra.

    If you know anything about Filipino and Indonesian blade combat style, you'll see these knives were made to integrate well with a fighting system. Color me impressed. These aren't cheap blades, but I think a Tops will be in my future.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  11. #176
    Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas, in the RGV
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by kyglockman View Post
    i was a little sceptical as well at first but after reading into it more and learning how it is supposed to be used i got why it was designed! and after i got it and held it, it is a quite capable SD tool!! the sting as they call it(point right below the blade) is a less then lethal option to get somebody to release their grip on you without cutting them! and as of now if has not hindered any of my test as far as getting in the way of cutting/ slashing! even though it has a 2 sided blade it is less then 3 inches and in most places it will be legal! but just incase check your logal laws before carrying!! and the top blade is deff one thing i love about it!! in the sence that if i miss with the first cut / slash i can catch them with the top blade on my return draw back to retension without rotating my wrist to get the primary blade to contact the subject!! and even if i make contact on the first strike cut with the main blade say on the bicep all i have to do is draw the knife staight back and use the top blade to make a cut on the tricep without having to rotate my wrist to make the cut! you accomplish pretty much two srikes with basicly the body movement of one after cutting the bicep your body and blade are already behind the arm of the bicep you just cut so just drawing the knife back the way it came from without having to rotate the wrist all you have to do is twist your hips back the way they came from(the direction they are already loaded in to go) and you achieve 2 cuts with less body movement and less complex motors skills!! but that is just frist thoughts and first round testing! i will do more as i get more time!! stay safe later
    One good thing to practice is back-cutting. When you thrust up high to the face/neck you can get a pretty powerful cut on the return if you simply twist you hand into the "thumbs down" position on your retraction. I prefer to really get in close to jam them up and get my knees and elbows usable and rely on more of a hooking type of thrust and these back cuts really shine in situations like that as they attempt to disengage. This works easiest with the high-line shots because the natural startle response to head and upper threats tends to get people hands up high so you might as well get another lick in while you have a chance, right?

  12. #177
    Member Array kyglockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    backwoods of kentucky
    Posts
    35
    I prefer to really get in close to jam them up and get my knees and elbows usable and rely on more of a hooking type of thrust and these back cuts really shine in situations like that as they attempt to disengage.

    i agree! i dont like space when i am fighting or defending myself! to much space allows to many options unless you know what you are doing up close! and i do have a little fetish when it comes to elbows! i can never pass up a chance to throw an elbow!! the elbow is one of our greatest natural weapons!!
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

  13. #178
    Member Array kyglockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    backwoods of kentucky
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    That extra curved bit seems like it would take the bite of the blade from the slash
    i think i have found a better use for the sting/point at the bottom of the blade! i did about a half hour of dummy work today and found that the surface of the point(the curve at the end of the blade making the point)besides just as a pressure point release or pain complience! to jam the leg or arm and then cut accordingly! i might have to post a pic to show what i am talking about but when you go in with the blade to slice bicep or leg if you ant careful in the heat of the moment you might thrust in to far and go pass the intented target! this surface or point will aid in jamming into that target pinning it from moving out toward you or away from you and letting you control the arm while cutting, then after the cut you can use the same surface to push the arm away as you move past the threat! again first thoughts will do more with the dummy hopefully i nthe next week or so!! later
    Last edited by kyglockman; August 23rd, 2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: left out somthing sorry guys and gals
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

  14. #179
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,848
    Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

  15. #180
    Member Array ncccw01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    28
    Spyderco Delica FFG with zip-tie mod. And little Spydie Bug for everday abuse.
    XD40SC in SuperTuck
    Sig P220
    SW442
    Rem 870 Exprss

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. ok Knife people, knife law OH?
    By maddyfish in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 27th, 2010, 10:56 PM
  2. knife in car?
    By AllAbtSlfDef in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 14th, 2009, 03:47 AM
  3. Always knife
    By Skysoldier in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: October 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
  4. Knife counter-knife class
    By KevinInstructor in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
  5. April 15 , Knife/Counter-Knife Workshop, Skaneateles, NY
    By ChrisFry in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Search tags for this page

bengal karambit for sale
,

best edc knife

,
best edc knife 2011
,
crkt hissatsu 2
,
edc knife
,
edc knives
,
my edc
,
top 10 edc knives
,
tops california cobra review
,
zero tolerance 551
,

zt 350

,
zt350
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors