Your EDC Knife - Page 30

Your EDC Knife

This is a discussion on Your EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fausty holy crap, 270$...cool knife though. Awful lot f $$$$$ for AUS 8 blade steel....

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Your EDC Knife

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    holy crap, 270$...cool knife though.
    Awful lot f $$$$$ for AUS 8 blade steel.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Benchmade 585 mini barrage. And damn do I like it.

VIP Member
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My edc knife is a cheapo chinese made $10 spring-assisted "Karambit Tactical"

(I know I know. It's not a true 'karambit' because the blade shape sweeps in the complete opposite direction, but I don't know any karambit fighting technique anyways).

I like it because it's has a great edge for slicing, it's not overly large (8.5" opened, 3.25" blade, 5.5" closed. ), and has the most comfortable grip. Cheap 440 stainless, easily sharpened, and holds an edge as long as you aren't chopping wood with it. I've sharpened it enough to shave with.

Clip is strong, and not easily bendable, action is smooth and locks well without any play.

Best of all, it's $10. If I lose it, oh well. I buy another.

TS-SA100.jpg

Right pocket defensive knife - Zero Tolerance 0350 (best bang for buck knife I've found yet. S30V steel, DLC coating, assisted opening, amazing handle, 4-way pocket clip).
    Left pocket utility knife - Benchmade Mini Griptillian, non-serrated, thumb-hole opening.

I also have a Benchmade HK 14205 which I love but I rarely carry because the other two fill their roles so well. It's a very sweet knife though, and I love the non-assisted AXIS lock.

I recently bought a Kershaw Cryo. This knife is awesome so far and has exceeded my initial expectations. Excellent fit, excellent assisted opening, decent finish and shaving sharp out of the box. My previous EDC was a Kershaw Leek and before that I had a Kershaw Chive. The Chive was the knife that introduced me to Kershaw assisted opening knives and pocket knives that aren't really cheap and crappy in general. The Leek is still a good knife but compared to the Cryo, it's more of a letter opening knife.

A few things I don't like about the Cryo: it's made in China, some edges (assisted opening blade kick for example) are a bit too sharp and should have been broken or relieved a bit. The finish is attractive but one tiny, almost unnoticeable spot at the end of the handle was a bit crusty and a small piece chipped off when I pushed on it with my fingernail. I don't expect the finish to be super durable but I don't see any more finish issues on the rest of the knife. A small portion of the blade maybe 2-3mm, closest to the pivoting point was not ground to an edge and can't be used as a sharp edge to cut with unless I put some work into it. I don't want to risk ruining the excellent edge it has now. Even with these small flaws, it's a very high value, low cost knife. I got mine from http://www.howesknifeshop.com/.

After I bought the Cryo, I started eyeballing various Zero Tolerance models and started drooling a bit. ...I really shouldn't be buying one right now, but I sure do want one.

I just picked up a Ka-Bar to go with my Kershaw.

IMG_20120814_154342.jpg

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    holy crap, 270$...cool knife though.

I got mine for 100 as gift when they first came out. The G10 handle is cheaper than the shiny one. The 6-10 offers better grip.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Awful lot f $$$$$ for AUS 8 blade steel.
    I understand your general issue for AUS8.

It's purely a defensive knife. Its ludicrously sharp. Big. Covers a lot of distance for a knife tactically. Legal in Texas.

I have zero issue with AUS8 and the price. Its a fantastic knife for my purpose. I train AMOK! weekly as well.

When I first got it and was training deployment with it, I hurt myself. The knife comes with a "hook/catch" on the top of the blade by the handle to "auto-open" when the user pulls the knife from pocket. I gripped too loose one time and I let go of the knife after it fixed itself after I pulled it from pocket. From a one foot distance from tip of blade to the back/side of my knee, the blade fell into the back of my knee - tip first - about an inch and a half. I felt less than a bee sting when it went in. 16 stitches later - 3 internal and 13 external - I removed that catch and just train with fully manually flick opening like I always have done in the past.

So I learned five things: A new knife is especially dangerous. Duct tape the blade when training with a new knife or a new deployment technique. The Espada AUS-8 blade is just a ridiculously sharp excellent self defense blade. Practice safety at a much higher level. With a sharp enough blade, I (or anyone) may not know they got cut when it happens.

The AUS
    Last edited by TVJ; August 15th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

RKM
    I'll agree that while I dislike AUS8, I think as a strictly defensive knife, it would be just fine. It doesn't need to hold and edge well because you're not cutting rope, tape, cardboard, string, packages, paper or whatever else a typical EDC knife cuts. It comes factory sharp and stays factory sharp until you need it, if you ever need it. I really prefer to have 154CM which most of my knives are as the edge retention is good yet still capable of me sharpened easily, or s30V which tends to keep its edge longer due to being harder, but is more difficult to resharpen. It's also brittle, so I hear.

my griptilian is in need of a trip back to benchmade for a good sharpening, and their overall inspection, so I picked up a spyderco delica today to serve me while the benchmade is out of service and when I travel to places that have lame blade length limits. The delica is of course nothing special, but it does seem like it will be a pretty good EDC when asked to handle the task.

EDIT *the griptilian needs to go to benchmade because of my lame sharpening skills, not because of any problems with the knife. Just wanted to clear that up. The knife is an excellent EDC folder, I just can't sharpen a knife to save my life*

One of the following:

Kershaw Packrat
    Kershaw Clash
    Kershaw Brawler
    Buck Vantage

And one of these two:

Buck/Tops Nighthawk Short
    SOG Field Pup II
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

I carry a Benchmade 275BK and a 530BK as part of my EDC system.

BLADE REVIEWS 101
    Last edited by BR101; September 13th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

My EDC is a Benchmade 585 Mini Barrage which I've been very pleased with.

Sorry I have no picture but I think you all know what they look like.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    I just can't sharpen a knife to save my life*
    Consider getting an EdgePro. IMO get at least the EdgePro II if at all possible the EdgePro III would be an even better choice as you can sharpen scissors as well. It is spendy but you will have polished scalpel sharp blades in minutes and able to maintain them in seconds. It will be the only sharpener you will ever need the rest of your life and will last a life time. It makes all the other plastic sharpening systems like Lansky GATCO look like kids toys. Mine has its own little spot in the shop.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links