Your EDC Knife - Page 5

Your EDC Knife

This is a discussion on Your EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by psychophipps By the looks of things, the SERE is tip-up only. Are there mounts for tip-down carry on it? Yes, the SERE's ...

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 482
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Your EDC Knife

  1. #61
    Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    By the looks of things, the SERE is tip-up only. Are there mounts for tip-down carry on it?
    Yes, the SERE's tip-only, which I prefer, but do understand some want tip-down. The SERE also has a low riding clip, which is also why it's T-U only.
    danlct likes this.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.


  2. #62
    Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas, in the RGV
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Yes, the SERE's tip-only, which I prefer, but do understand some want tip-down. The SERE also has a low riding clip, which is also why it's T-U only.
    I was just a bit surprised. George is a pretty vocal proponent of tip-down carry, especially in tactical applications, and it struck me as a bit weird that his favorite folding knife of all time is tip-up carry only.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,733
    Kershaw Leek 1660

    Kershaw Leek 1660
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  4. #64
    Member Array Elitematch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eastern,NC
    Posts
    66
    Back jeans pocket: Kershaw JYD...

    Side pocket: Cold Steel XL Tanto.

  5. #65
    Member Array Sleipnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    429
    Just ordered the Kershaw Leek 1660G10
    It will be supplementing my Gerber EVO Jr. Tanto that I picked up from Wal-Mart which replaced my similarly sized CRKT M16-10KZ tanto after I lost the screw holding the blade in and inevitably misplaced the knife itself though I'm sure it's still around here somewhere.

    I'm an Eagle Scout so I have plenty of folding knives to sift through to find it.

  6. #66
    VIP Member Array jbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dandridge Tennessee
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Just ordered the Kershaw Leek 1660G10
    It will be supplementing my Gerber EVO Jr. Tanto that I picked up from Wal-Mart which replaced my similarly sized CRKT M16-10KZ tanto after I lost the screw holding the blade in and inevitably misplaced the knife itself though I'm sure it's still around here somewhere.

    I'm an Eagle Scout so I have plenty of folding knives to sift through to find it.
    Have a box of bandages ready before you open the Leek I love em.

  7. #67
    Member Array aedinius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    352
    Gerber F.A.S.T. Draw

    I ordered a Kershaw ZT 350 earlier. I wanted a 301, but the 350 is a tad cheaper and smaller.
    Knowing is half the battle.

  8. #68
    Ex Member Array Cedar Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the desert
    Posts
    21
    Gerber Freeman

    When I lived in town I carried a Benchmade folder. Still have it, it's a good knife, but where I am now you have to constantly maintain a folder or it gets too dirty to function, plus there's just no reason not to carry a fixed blade. I have a Camillus that was a good size but poor steel. Then for a year or so I carried my Cold Steel UWK but it's too big for convenience. A few months ago I got the Gerber and it seems just right. Thought I'd need to get a sheath made for it, but the dorky nylon sheath it comes with isn't as bad as it looks.

  9. #69
    Member Array Sleipnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Have a box of bandages ready before you open the Leek I love em.
    Haha, will do! Should be getting here about the time my MTAC arrives. Can't wait to have my full EDC equipment all here and ready!

  10. #70
    VIP Member Array crzy4guns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,637
    Kershaw Zing for edc and yes I use it as a utility knife as well. My Kershaw Leek Rainbow is used as a gentleman's folder and as such is reserved only for self defense.
    God bless our troops!

  11. #71
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Rat View Post
    Gerber Freeman

    When I lived in town I carried a Benchmade folder. Still have it, it's a good knife, but where I am now you have to constantly maintain a folder or it gets too dirty to function, plus there's just no reason not to carry a fixed blade. I have a Camillus that was a good size but poor steel. Then for a year or so I carried my Cold Steel UWK but it's too big for convenience. A few months ago I got the Gerber and it seems just right. Thought I'd need to get a sheath made for it, but the dorky nylon sheath it comes with isn't as bad as it looks.
    The Gerber Freeman is a true hunting knife. I know a guy that bought one for everyone in his wedding rehearsal party. I said, "Are you sure you don't want the folder"? He said, "No my friends are all serious hunters". He ended up buying some drop point fine and some with the gut hook. He said, "A serious hunter needs the hook too."

    I think he bought his wedding party a gift that will last a very long time.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  12. #72
    Member Array whisky19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    ZT 350 (mine came with a free Kershaw 'Ace' - cheap folder but nice for opening the mail).

    Love the 350.

    Me too!


  13. #73
    Ex Member Array Cedar Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the desert
    Posts
    21
    SIGP250-

    Not to derail the thread, but do you happen to know if the Gerber Freeman is stainless? Because that would explain why I have a little trouble getting the edge on it I like. I'm used to dealing with a bit softer steel.

  14. #74
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Rat View Post
    SIGP250-

    Not to derail the thread, but do you happen to know if the Gerber Freeman is stainless? Because that would explain why I have a little trouble getting the edge on it I like. I'm used to dealing with a bit softer steel.
    Most all Gerber Knives are either ATS-34 or AUS-8 Alloy Steel.
    A.k.A. High Carbon Stainless Steel.

    I cannot tell you the exact alloy composition of the Freeman but it is a hard edge stainless.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  15. #75
    Member Array Sleipnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Most all Gerber Knives are either ATS-34 or AUS-8 Alloy Steel.
    A.k.A. High Carbon Stainless Steel.

    I cannot tell you the exact alloy composition of the Freeman but it is a hard edge stainless.
    Just did a google search and there are two models available. One is 440A stainless steel and looks quite like the picture you posted and is called the Gerber Freeman Hunter, the other is called the Gerber Freeman Stag and has a S30V steel blade. Search results here.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. ok Knife people, knife law OH?
    By maddyfish in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM
  2. knife in car?
    By AllAbtSlfDef in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM
  3. Always knife
    By Skysoldier in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: October 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
  4. Knife counter-knife class
    By KevinInstructor in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
  5. April 15 , Knife/Counter-Knife Workshop, Skaneateles, NY
    By ChrisFry in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Search tags for this page

bengal karambit for sale
,

best edc knife

,
best edc knife 2011
,
best edc knives
,
crkt hissatsu 2
,
edc knife
,
my edc
,
top 10 edc knives
,
tops california cobra review
,
zero tolerance 551
,

zt 350

,
zt350
Click on a term to search for related topics.