Your EDC Knife - Page 5

Your EDC Knife

This is a discussion on Your EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by psychophipps By the looks of things, the SERE is tip-up only. Are there mounts for tip-down carry on it? Yes, the SERE's ...

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Your EDC Knife

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    By the looks of things, the SERE is tip-up only. Are there mounts for tip-down carry on it?
    Yes, the SERE's tip-only, which I prefer, but do understand some want tip-down. The SERE also has a low riding clip, which is also why it's T-U only.
    danlct likes this.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Yes, the SERE's tip-only, which I prefer, but do understand some want tip-down. The SERE also has a low riding clip, which is also why it's T-U only.
    I was just a bit surprised. George is a pretty vocal proponent of tip-down carry, especially in tactical applications, and it struck me as a bit weird that his favorite folding knife of all time is tip-up carry only.

Kershaw Leek 1660

Kershaw Leek 1660
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Back jeans pocket: Kershaw JYD...

Side pocket: Cold Steel XL Tanto.

Just ordered the Kershaw Leek 1660G10
    It will be supplementing my Gerber EVO Jr. Tanto that I picked up from Wal-Mart which replaced my similarly sized CRKT M16-10KZ tanto after I lost the screw holding the blade in and inevitably misplaced the knife itself though I'm sure it's still around here somewhere.

I'm an Eagle Scout so I have plenty of folding knives to sift through to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Just ordered the Kershaw Leek 1660G10
    It will be supplementing my Gerber EVO Jr. Tanto that I picked up from Wal-Mart which replaced my similarly sized CRKT M16-10KZ tanto after I lost the screw holding the blade in and inevitably misplaced the knife itself though I'm sure it's still around here somewhere.

I'm an Eagle Scout so I have plenty of folding knives to sift through to find it.
    Have a box of bandages ready before you open the Leek I love em.

Gerber F.A.S.T. Draw

I ordered a Kershaw ZT 350 earlier. I wanted a 301, but the 350 is a tad cheaper and smaller.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Gerber Freeman

When I lived in town I carried a Benchmade folder. Still have it, it's a good knife, but where I am now you have to constantly maintain a folder or it gets too dirty to function, plus there's just no reason not to carry a fixed blade. I have a Camillus that was a good size but poor steel. Then for a year or so I carried my Cold Steel UWK but it's too big for convenience. A few months ago I got the Gerber and it seems just right. Thought I'd need to get a sheath made for it, but the dorky nylon sheath it comes with isn't as bad as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Have a box of bandages ready before you open the Leek I love em.
    Haha, will do! Should be getting here about the time my MTAC arrives. Can't wait to have my full EDC equipment all here and ready!

Kershaw Zing for edc and yes I use it as a utility knife as well. My Kershaw Leek Rainbow is used as a gentleman's folder and as such is reserved only for self defense.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Rat View Post
    Gerber Freeman

When I lived in town I carried a Benchmade folder. Still have it, it's a good knife, but where I am now you have to constantly maintain a folder or it gets too dirty to function, plus there's just no reason not to carry a fixed blade. I have a Camillus that was a good size but poor steel. Then for a year or so I carried my Cold Steel UWK but it's too big for convenience. A few months ago I got the Gerber and it seems just right. Thought I'd need to get a sheath made for it, but the dorky nylon sheath it comes with isn't as bad as it looks.
    The Gerber Freeman is a true hunting knife. I know a guy that bought one for everyone in his wedding rehearsal party. I said, "Are you sure you don't want the folder"? He said, "No my friends are all serious hunters". He ended up buying some drop point fine and some with the gut hook. He said, "A serious hunter needs the hook too."

I think he bought his wedding party a gift that will last a very long time.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    ZT 350 (mine came with a free Kershaw 'Ace' - cheap folder but nice for opening the mail).

Love the 350.

Me too!

SIGP250-

Not to derail the thread, but do you happen to know if the Gerber Freeman is stainless? Because that would explain why I have a little trouble getting the edge on it I like. I'm used to dealing with a bit softer steel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Rat View Post
    SIGP250-

Not to derail the thread, but do you happen to know if the Gerber Freeman is stainless? Because that would explain why I have a little trouble getting the edge on it I like. I'm used to dealing with a bit softer steel.
    Most all Gerber Knives are either ATS-34 or AUS-8 Alloy Steel.
    A.k.A. High Carbon Stainless Steel.

I cannot tell you the exact alloy composition of the Freeman but it is a hard edge stainless.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Most all Gerber Knives are either ATS-34 or AUS-8 Alloy Steel.
    A.k.A. High Carbon Stainless Steel.

I cannot tell you the exact alloy composition of the Freeman but it is a hard edge stainless.
    Just did a google search and there are two models available. One is 440A stainless steel and looks quite like the picture you posted and is called the Gerber Freeman Hunter, the other is called the Gerber Freeman Stag and has a S30V steel blade. Search results here.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links