Your EDC Knife

This is a discussion on Your EDC Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry my Zero Tolerance ZT-0301 everywhere....

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Your EDC Knife

I carry my Zero Tolerance ZT-0301 everywhere.

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

2. Remove Ads

My First OTF

I recently purchased my first OTF knife. I was looking for a spring assisted knife when I came upon the Smith and Wesson HRT OTF Assisted opener. I always wanted an OTF but since I do not have a military or police license, I could not carry a regular OTF switchblade in my pocket. S&M makes this "assisted opening" OTF knife which I just had to get. It can come with a variety of blade types, and I got the tanto with partial serrations. For an OTF its got almost no bladeplay and it seems sharper than a surgeons knife would need to be. The blade I believe to be 440 stainless. Its got an extra added glass breaker on the end which is actually fairly large and could be used to bludgeon. The picture below is of the tanto non serrated, however the one i got has serrations.

What locking mechanism is used for that S&W HRT? Also, is that actually easy to deploy? It seems like you would have to hold the very tip of the knife in order for the switch to activate.

Zero Tolerance 302

My EDC is the ZT 302 "Steak" knife. It is a little large but I have gotten used to it. Had to relocate the carrying clip for left-handed carry but it deploys quickly and is razor sharp.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I just ordered a Benchmade 550SBKHG tonight and have every intention of using it as my EDC! It will be my first Benchmade and I can't wait to get it. Not to get off topic but if any Benchmade aficionados out there could tell me the difference between the 550 & 551, I'd be grateful - I looked at both on the site and they are both the same size and the handles look the same? Thanks!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I just ordered a Benchmade 550SBKHG tonight and have every intention of using it as my EDC! It will be my first Benchmade and I can't wait to get it. Not to get off topic but if any Benchmade aficionados out there could tell me the difference between the 550 & 551, I'd be grateful - I looked at both on the site and they are both the same size and the handles look the same? Thanks!
    Blade shape, the 550 is a modified sheepsfoot and the 551 is a drop point, and opener type, the 550 uses a licensed SpyderHole (which is one of the reasons why I bought it) and the 551 uses thumb studs.
    I found the full belly of the 550 to be superior edge geometry for my inverted-edge knife methodology and it allows for good cutting with both pushing and pulling strokes. The 551 has a standard drop-point that will suit everyday uses just fine while adding a superior penetrating tip if you find yourself having to puncture materials a lot before you cut in your knife use.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Blade shape, the 550 is a modified sheepsfoot and the 551 is a drop point, and opener type, the 550 uses a licensed SpyderHole (which is one of the reasons why I bought it) and the 551 uses thumb studs.
    I found the full belly of the 550 to be superior edge geometry for my inverted-edge knife methodology and it allows for good cutting with both pushing and pulling strokes. The 551 has a standard drop-point that will suit everyday uses just fine while adding a superior penetrating tip if you find yourself having to puncture materials a lot before you cut in your knife use.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Gotta be good for something. It ain't much, but it's something...

Kershaw. OD-1 1775, Leatherman Supertool , and a Shrade Walden 3 blade jack, with the Kershaw getting most of the duty. I use all of my knives for any task that they fit : the way I figure it, if I can not sharpen a knife to a razors edge, I probably should not be carrying it. I taught my daughter to sharpen a knife when she was young, when she got into high school she had a sharper knife than any of the guys in school... yes kids still carry knives out here in the sticks.

Carry what you are used to and use what you carry, seems like a heck of a axiom to me.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

I carry a 5.11 Tactical 3.5 lockblade. This is my "utility" knife.

I just purchased a Cold Steel 4" Vequero and I am breaking this in. This will be my "battle knife" and used only for that.

See picture below...

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

OK, these knives are not my EDC, but they are sitting in my drawer here at my desk and still within reach.

Like the old proverb says, the one with the most knives when he dies, wins.

Starting from the top left to right...

ROW 1
    Lipstick knife - bought this for the wife, thought it was cool.
    Ball point pen knife - ditto
    Rescue lockblade with window punch and belt cutter built in
    Gerber 2.5 assisted open

ROW 2
    Gerber Hunting Folder w/ gut hook
    Old Timer skinner
    Winchester boot knife

ROW 3
    My original boy scout 4 " lockblade
    Stanley Box Cutter - I just liked how this fit in my hand, kind of like a those "brass paper weights" you see at the gun show.

ROW 4
    CRKT neck knife skinner
    $20.00 Gun show lock blade - spur of the moment purchase
    Old Timer Hunter / Skinner w/gut hook

So am I the only one with this knife sickness?

OH YEA, I forgot to take the picture of the 12" spear point Cold Steel Machete I have sitting on my printer.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

What? No one carries a Byrd from Spyderco. The best $20 youll ever spend.
    Attached Images
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    very nice. i just ordered the crossbill g-10

Quote Originally Posted by Prophezine View Post
    OK, these knives are not my EDC, but they are sitting in my drawer here at my desk and still within reach.

Like the old proverb says, the one with the most knives when he dies, wins.

Starting from the top left to right...

ROW 1
    Lipstick knife - bought this for the wife, thought it was cool.
    Ball point pen knife - ditto
    Rescue lockblade with window punch and belt cutter built in
    Gerber 2.5 assisted open

ROW 2
    Gerber Hunting Folder w/ gut hook
    Old Timer skinner
    Winchester boot knife

ROW 3
    My original boy scout 4 " lockblade
    Stanley Box Cutter - I just liked how this fit in my hand, kind of like a those "brass paper weights" you see at the gun show.

ROW 4
    CRKT neck knife skinner
    $20.00 Gun show lock blade - spur of the moment purchase
    Old Timer Hunter / Skinner w/gut hook

So am I the only one with this knife sickness?

OH YEA, I forgot to take the picture of the 12" spear point Cold Steel Machete I have sitting on my printer.

Ray
    Texas
    Funny, how did you get a picture of my drawer??? seriously I have a few of the same knives you have, but I carry a S&W Extreme Ops auto knife as my EDC.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I've been carrying Spydercos for 20+ years, starting with a 1st generation Police Model. Steel handles, heavy as a brick, and quite a handful at almost 9 1/2" overall. The first thing I did with it was to slice open the back of my right index finger in the parking lot of the store where I bought it, and I haven't cut myself on any of my knives since (knock on wood).

The next was an Endura with a molded plastic pocket clip, which I snapped off on a my car's seatbelt, then I carried a Delica for awhile, and next was the best of the lot: a Benchmade/Spyderco crossbreed based on the Delica, with a liner lock, carbon fiber handles, and a "Black Ti" coated combo edge blade. I paid a pretty penny for that one, and stupidly lost it after years of daily carry.

I needed something temporary to keep in the front pocket until I could replace it with another knife as nice as the last one, and I dropped $17 on a Byrd Meadowlark thinking it would last a month at most. I liked it so much that I stopped thinking about replacing it a week later, and that was two years ago.

Here's the collection:

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Agreed.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Links