Defensive Carry banner

Is there a law about carrying a knife at work, unconceald

8K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  NbleSavage 
#1 ·
OK, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW, I was hired at a gas station that gets robbed alot..at night, on graveyard shift. in lackawanna co, pa. was hired while wearing my knife, and wore it openly in front of managers and an owner, I was never told that i couldnt untill an elderly woman customer complained. I wear it everywhere in plain sight but partialy covered by my pocket. it has a small blade under 6". I keep it for protection, I work from 11pm til 7 am alone. then when the complaint happend, I was told by a manager that I had to get rid of it at work or conceal it. the purpose for me is a deterant. is there a law reguarding my rights to openly carry my knife at work?

#2 ·
The answer has nothing to do with the law. You have to do what your employer wants. He wants it concealed, conceal it.

The rights you think you have are limits on what government can do, not on what your employer can do.

Actually, I think your employer's response was fairly positive. They are letting you stay armed.

#6 ·
Depends on your companies policies. Depending on your state's laws, your state may allow for the company to set policies against "any" weapons on their property "including" the parking lot. Usually this is especially the case if the company has a fenced property, a security gate, or key card entry.

Some state laws prohibit employers from making such policies. But there are sometimes exceptions for companies with the above security provisions.

First check your state laws and see what they are concerning employer's policies against firearms/weapons. If the state says they can't make the policies, then make sure there are no exceptions to the law. If not, you're good to go.

If state has no law prohibiting employer's from making such policies, then unfortunately, they are considered private property and can even have policies against you having a pocket knife on company property.

#7 ·
Conceal the knife, and tell your employer that he is a 'wise man' to have you conceal your weapon...then make sure that you have a conceaed gun, too!:image035:

#8 ·
The law in PA says you can carry what you want how you want except in limited instances.

In this case your employer has the right to tell you to conceal your knife. I would do so. Legally you are fine though... provided it's not spring loaded.

#9 ·
Exactly the same way that you have the right to tell a visitor to take off his or her shoes before they walk into your house...that is exactly the same right that your employer has to tell you what is OK and what is not allowed on his property AKA Place Of Business.

Your employer has the right to tell you that you MUST tuck your shirt in while at work.

You have the right to refuse and to tell him to go pound salt.

Then he has the right to fire you and demand that you remove yourself from the premises.

That's just the way it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.