I need a knife

This is a discussion on I need a knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any recommendations in a good folder?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a knife

Rickman

I need a knife

Any recommendations in a good folder?

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder

My Recommendation

I would recommend that you go to your local store that carries a lot of knives and get your hands on as many as you can and find out what fits what you are looking for.
    My bet would be that you will find many.
    I like Benchmade better than most but there are many, many more from which to choose.
    You can probably get a pretty good idea by researching on the Internet and then finding one locally to see if it looks as good as it did on a web page.

Good luck!

I probably have more Benchmades then other brand. They are great.
    I have some other great folders too, but I didn't have a Chris Reeve Sebenza yet. The Sebenza is one of the most respected, well liked knives I have ever researched.
    If you live in a state that allows you to own/carry an automatic knife, then look at the Micrtech line. Top shelf.
    Plan on spending at least one hundred dollars for a good everyday carry knife.
    Unfortunatly, I have done that many times over.:)

Knife

Spyderco with partial serrated edge.

Buck Folding Hunter.

What are you going to use it for? Price range?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    The problem I have is that I have so many good knives. The Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog that I've been getting for the last fifteen years hasn't helped in this department! :)

Probably my favorite for all-around use is a Spyderco Massad Ayoob. It's amazingly flat (easy to tuck in the waistband), very well made, and wicked enough to make Janich grin if necessary.

What I've found lately, though, is that I'm just carrying harmless knives. Like my Böker carbon-bladed barlow. Or my little two-bladed Wenger. They're handy for knife chores, but they don't take up room or freak people out when I use them (believe me, I went through a period when I enjoyed freaking people out with my oversized knives - opening a bag of candy with a Cold Steel Navaja Grande and then closing it and slipping it back into my pocket before most of the people in the room saw it). Anyway, the little tiny knives seem to do the trick, and they're what have been getting the mileage lately.

Bumper's suggestion seems like a good one. Probably wouldn't hurt to cruise bladeforums.com to see what might interest you.

I like big folders 5in blade is my baby have a couple at 9in+ blade . I like Spanish Navaja's, they get noticed when you draw one. That said Cold Steel makes several good folders.

Folding Knives

I have to agree 100% with a previous post: Spyderco with partial serrated edge or a Buck Folding Hunter.

IMHO, a knife carried for defense should be employed in it's role as a CUTTING instrument. Don't think you're going to STAB somebody, especially a criminal who may be high, even if it's "only" adrenalin and stop the attack! Knives don't have the "shock effect" of a firearm projectile. So, stabbing might be fatal (like thru the heart) but the stopping of hostilities will have to come as a result of "Hydraulic Failure" or literally bleeding into unconsciousness. That may take awhile, especially in the matter of perception if you're the target of an attack!

Hmmmmmm What to do? Look, if you're using a knife, that means you're working CLOSE, right? Do something unexpected and try and slip a good blade thru the gap or hollow of the heel and slice the achilles tendon. Sever that sucker and then see how the dude can attack if he's on ONE supportable leg.

Of course you could always just wear a LONG dark coat, and when attacked, whip out a SAMURAI SWORD and yell: "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!":D

In most states, carrying folder longer than 3"

is a crime, unless it's on your belt. If you don't have to hide it, then use some sort of Bowie, so that you can chop with it. :-) Personally, I find 10x as much use for my SOG Multi-tool as I ever did for a folding knife.

I see that you've never been in a knife fight.

LOTS of attacks are stopped by just the SIGHT of a good blade, in the hands of an agile man. More are stopped by the first good slash that draws blood, even if it's "only" to their arm or hand.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    The topic of why you carry a knife comes up all of the time in knife forums. It usually breaks down into the 'weapons' guys and the 'tool'guys.

At sometime during the debate, people ask each other if anyone's ever been in a knife fight, and no one ever has. It just doesn't happen.

What does happen is 'knife attacks.' That is, a mugging where a knife is present, and that is a whole different debate.

My advice is to find a good jackknife, one that has utility for you (not your buddy), one that is made from good steel and can be re-sharpened for the best performance.

I have a home business and sell knives. I say this not to brag, but to drive home the fact that I can have pretty much what I want.

I keep coming back to Buck 110's and lately a Li'l Temperance made from S30V steel.

And that being said, 95% of the chores I do with these knives is opening envelopes, opening UPS boxes, slicing a sandwich at the food-court to share with my wife and trimming threads from my clothes.

If you carried a multitool instead,

you could work on bolts, screws, cut bolts, nails, file metal, use the ratcheting pliers, chisel, etc. I had to add the file \"blade\".

Originally posted by ExSoldier762
    Of course you could always just wear a LONG dark coat, and when attacked, whip out a SAMURAI SWORD and yell: "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!":D
    YEAH!!!!!:D

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Originally posted by meme
    is a crime, unless it's on your belt. If you don't have to hide it, then use some sort of Bowie, so that you can chop with it. :-) Personally, I find 10x as much use for my SOG Multi-tool as I ever did for a folding knife.
    That's completely untrue. It varies quite a bit from state to state. In PA i carry a 4" folder and a 5.5" fixed blade concealed on my person and it's completely legal. Instead of making gross generalizations, give him information he can use.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

if you are looking for a folder, I can recommend this beauty... Friend got one a few days ago and brought it over. Down right gorgeous and I just ordered one. I am also looking to save up a few pennies and buy the Vorax or Sniper model as well.

Mercworx has several diff sized folders so you can see which will fit the bill and still be legal in your state.

~A

http://www.mercworx.com/knives.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links