Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife?

This is a discussion on Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Sebenza is a great knife, certainly. But I think that Buckles has a good point in that it doesn't do anything that any number ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The Sebenza is a great knife, certainly. But I think that Buckles has a good point in that it doesn't do anything that any number of cheaper knives do just as well and then add how much of a pain S30V is to sharpen...probably not so hot for a "everything" knife.

2. Remove Ads

Box of live Spyderco Enduras and trainers + some training.- George

George loves him some Spyderco Endura (and don't forget the Delica as well) and I prefer the Benchmade Griptilian. I seriously consider these two series of models to be your best bet for a reasonably-priced excellent knock-around but great for SD knife. Top-notch steels, great lock-up, excellent grips, movable pocket clips, and they have trainers immediately available so can you get yourself some training with the knife you'll actually use rather than the knife the trainer has handy.

You could easily get everything you need for use and SD for under $200 and a bit of Google action.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    Are they available again? I thought the owner was having problems.

Holdcard
    Thanks to DefensiveCarry, I was turned on to them. I just ordered my wife one, and it's in the mail now...

http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php

I just know that when I see hers, I'll want one.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

FYI - with regards to the title of this thread "Best SD EDC Knife" ... there is no such thing.

The entire reason you and I have our choice of any one of thousands of production knives being produced at this moment is because we are all individuals and we value different aspects of a knife.

I have hands that don't necessarily fit all XXL-sized gloves ... sometimes that's XXL is too small. I need a good thick handle with a grippy texture. I like having a handle design that doesn't easily allow my hand to slip off onto the blade if I should ever need to stab something with all of my energy. I am right-handed and prefer tip-up carry in my strong-side pocket. I prefer thumb studs and for me, they are just as fast if not faster than every assisted opener I've ever tried. If you live in a state where you can carry a fixed blade in a sheath ... most fixed blades will put most folders to shame as far as deployment speed, grip, size, and strength .... but I can't carry one of those. The point is, that these are MY preferences. What works for me doesn't work for everyone else.

I see this often. Someone comes on a forum (whether it be photograhy, firearms, knives, cars, motorcycles, etc) ... and they want to know what the "best" is. As long as there is more than one choice on the market, then obviously there is no "best" - if there was, there would only be one choice available since all the rest would have gone out of business.

Don't get caught up in "best". Buy a cheapo knife that looks cool to you. Play with it for a year or two and see what you like and don't like about it. Then go ahead and get another knife that has the features you like, none of the ones you don't, and some new ones you've never tried before. Now play with that for a year or two and continue this cycle until you really understand what YOU are looking for in an EDC.

Then you go out and you buy the BEST knife for YOU.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    Don't get caught up in "best". Buy a cheapo knife that looks cool to you. Play with it for a year or two and see what you like and don't like about it. Then go ahead and get another knife that has the features you like, none of the ones you don't, and some new ones you've never tried before. Now play with that for a year or two and continue this cycle until you really understand what YOU are looking for in an EDC.

Then you go out and you buy the BEST knife for YOU.
    Or you cut to the chase a bit and go with at least decent knife for a decent price right off the bat like the ones people have mentioned above?

Telling someone who's new to the whole SD gig that it's Ok to buy the "cool" $9.99 Chinese knockoff of a Pakistani knockoff from the corner gas station really doesn't do them, or our cause as people with training that others ask advice of, any favors, sir. It's never Ok to give carte blanche to someone who's not knowledgeable in such matters to buy cheap trash that could get them hurt or killed when they try to use it when they're neck deep in it.

You wouldn't tell a friend to buy a Raven for a carry gun because it's cheap, so don't even think that I'm going to let you tell this poor guy the knife version of that conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Or you cut to the chase a bit and go with at least decent knife for a decent price right off the bat like the ones people have mentioned above?

Telling someone who's new to the whole SD gig that it's Ok to buy the "cool" $9.99 Chinese knockoff of a Pakistani knockoff from the corner gas station really doesn't do them, or our cause as people with training that others ask advice of, any favors, sir. It's never Ok to give carte blanche to someone who's not knowledgeable in such matters to buy cheap trash that could get them hurt or killed when they try to use it when they're neck deep in it.

You wouldn't tell a friend to buy a Raven for a carry gun because it's cheap, so don't even think that I'm going to let you tell this poor guy the knife version of that conversation.
    Excellent point, I should have been a little more specific. When I say cheap, I'm thinking something like this: Pocket Knives - Drifter - CRKT or this GerberGear > Product Details > EVO Mid-Size

I didn't want to see this guy go out and get a CQC-8 or a Sebenza because he heard good things but has no idea what he really likes or prefers.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    Beautiful knife. How long is that blade & how much does it weigh? Looks like the Rajah II is the only one they are selling at present & for around $125 - not bad at all for a top-shelf folder.
    Blade length is 6 inches and overall weight is 13.4 ounces!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Fixed blades are illegal for carry in NC. I wish they weren't because I would really like a Kabar TDI.
    Really? I did not know that. During hunting season I see lots of hunters with a fixed blade strapped on their belt.

Can you give more information on that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    Really? I did not know that. During hunting season I see lots of hunters with a fixed blade strapped on their belt.

Can you give more information on that. Thanks
    Outdoors activities are often notable exceptions. In dangerous animal areas there are plenty of backpackers with large-bore revolvers on National Parks and they don't get hassled, either. Carrying a knife openly on your belt while hunting and walking around with a concealed knife in an urban area are often seen as completely different things.

[QUOTE=psychophipps;1608688]Outdoors activities are often notable exceptions. In dangerous animal areas there are plenty of backpackers with large-bore revolvers on National Parks and they don't get hassled, either. Carrying a knife openly on your belt while hunting and walking around with a concealed knife in an urban area are often seen as completely different things.[/QUOTE

Oops. Yes it was later in the day after I had posted when I thought Concealed carry illegal, open carry legal. Don't know what I was thinking.

If money is no object, get training and then a knife. Training drives tools, not the other way around. Having a NASCAR in your garage does not make you Ricky Bobby.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    If money is no object, get training and then a knife. Training drives tools, not the other way around. Having a NASCAR in your garage does not make you Ricky Bobby.- George
    It was a hypothetical question (re: money no object). Agree that if unlimited time and resources were available that investment in training is the way to go. Most of us do not live in that world, hence we enjoy a bit of escapism discussing what we would buy / do if we did.

Peace.

- Savage

I understand and would proffer this. Just about any knife could be the ultimate weapon since it only has to work once. If you are using it as a tool it has to work all the time. Most edged weapons that are used to kill were picked up out of a restaurant or a kitchen.- George

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links