Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife?

This is a discussion on Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forget price for the moment. What is your recommendation for a top of the line assisted opening lock blade for everyday carry for self defense? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife?

Money No Object: Best SD EDC Knife?

Forget price for the moment.

What is your recommendation for a top of the line assisted opening lock blade for everyday carry for self defense? Not talking a glorified box cutter / a tool for opening envelopes, cutting cables & wires, I'm talking your "SHTF" blade that you'll go-to when your pistol is not an option and you have to trust your life to your self defense blade.

Peace.

- Savage

2. Remove Ads

Am finding many favorable reviews on the ZT350 - even found a deal on one at "CutleryWeb" which included free shipping and a free Kershaw 'Ace' for $111 - not a bad knife as best I can tell from the research.

Related - given the above knife is an assisted-open, any legal reasons why one could not use for EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    Forget price for the moment.

What is your recommendation for a top of the line assisted opening lock blade for everyday carry for self defense? Not talking a glorified box cutter / a tool for opening envelopes, cutting cables & wires, I'm talking your "SHTF" blade that you'll go-to when your pistol is not an option and you have to trust your life to your self defense blade.

Peace.

- Savage
    More or less on a lark I recently purchased a Rajah I by Cold Steel.

I am an absolute devotee of large blades and this is one large blade. Originally priced in excess of $350 they can be bought for about $99 http://www.ltspecpro.com/info.htmldollars now as Cold Steel in phasing them out of production.

Just for the heck of it I started carrying it on an EDC basis. It fits in the side pocket of my jeans quite well and has a thumb stud which will catch on your pocket for a quick blade deployment. It is a large knife in the vein of the Crocodile Dundee "now that's a knife".

For self defense it would be both intimidating and highly effective. Give it a look.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Any particular reason for it to "have to" be an assisted opener? Any well-made EDC/Tactical knife will jump open like a scalded cat if you do your part.

Rick Hinderer XM18 Expensive hard to find but one of the best knifes out there
    Rick Hinderer Knives

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Any particular reason for it to "have to" be an assisted opener? Any well-made EDC/Tactical knife will jump open like a scalded cat if you do your part.
    I suppose not - was thinking assisted open for the quick produce, but your point is valid. So - not a requirement that it be assisted open.

- Savage

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    More or less on a lark I recently purchased a Rajah I by Cold Steel.

I am an absolute devotee of large blades and this is one large blade. Originally priced in excess of $350 they can be bought for about $99 Special Projects : Cold Steel now as Cold Steel in phasing them out of production.

Just for the heck of it I started carrying it on an EDC basis. It fits in the side pocket of my jeans quite well and has a thumb stud which will catch on your pocket for a quick blade deployment. It is a large knife in the vein of the Crocodile Dundee "now that's a knife".

For self defense it would be both intimidating and highly effective. Give it a look.
    Beautiful knife. How long is that blade & how much does it weigh? Looks like the Rajah II is the only one they are selling at present & for around $125 - not bad at all for a top-shelf folder.

Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    I suppose not - not a requirement that it be assisted open.

- Savage

When i was in the military was issued Benchmades & Master's Of Defenses. both of which were button open folding knifes. i have beat the heck out of mine and the have been very reliable.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

I have Benchmades, Spydercos and Kershaws and love them for EDC. But I have to pick one knife for self defense, it's going to be the Emerson CQC-10 with Wave opening. There is no faster opening folder on the market than one with a Wave. It literally is open when the knife leaves your pocket.

I also have an Emerson Combat Karambit for left side carry for weapon retention.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Spyderco Endura Wave. Carry one every day and is smooth fast and in my opinion very balanced for what it is....On the cheaper end of expensive SD knives.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Tom Halloran pikal. If I ever mess up bad enough that I'm using a knife for SD it's probably because someone's trying to grab my pistol. I just want to grab, stab, and go. Folders these days are awesome, but they're still folders.

spyderco p'kal

Couple of things I look for in a defensive knife.
    1) there must be some form of guard between the blade and my hand, this is solely to keep my hand from slipping down the blade when I stab. I see alot of knives, beautiful knives with the latest and greatest steel and alloy and curved blades that look menacing, but if put to task by a frightened, adrenaline pumped individual with sweat and blood soaked hands, are going to slice the user's hand to ribbons.

2) I preffer a mixed blade with serrations towards the bottom. My experience with skinning and gutting large game shows me that the serrations help cut alot more tough body tissues like tendons and cartelidge.

3) Best advice going into a knife fight... other than not being there? Expect to get cut. ITS GOING TO HAPPEN.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links