Any recommendations for comabtive courses on folding knives?

This is a discussion on Any recommendations for comabtive courses on folding knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have read about places like gunsite and insights. has anyone taken folding knife combative courses from these institutions? or can you recommend other institutions? ...

Thread: Any recommendations for comabtive courses on folding knives?

Any recommendations for comabtive courses on folding knives?

i have read about places like gunsite and insights. has anyone taken folding knife combative courses from these institutions? or can you recommend other institutions?

also, what about courses on pistols, hand to hand combat, grappling, etc?

i live in oklahoma but would be willing to travel across the US if the course was really worth it.

2. Remove Ads

I would highly recommend Martial Blade Camp being held in Estes Park, CO in August.

Martial Blade Concepts | Martial Blade Camp Information
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

I received a small block of instruction before my last mobilization from a guy named Doc Wisil (not sure if that's how you spell it, pronounced Y.sill). I know that he trains police officers in northern Indiana. You might want to Google him. He not only instructs knife fighting he also gives one of the most amazing motivational speeches regarding deploying with the military and the physiology of killing with bladed weapons.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

I will second the Martial Blades realm. I have not had any personal in person training but the stuff I have seen on video is really good. Make sure whatever you choose is reputable. Read up on it and see how much info is out on it. I would hate to see you waste money on a "i'm teaching in my mom's basement" kinda course from a guy who plays first person shooter games. MBC is a good way to go.

PS- A little off topic in this thread but you may want to get a knife that has a trainer available too . example: Benchmade griptilian, or Spyderco Endura/Delica

Good luck.

Jason
    Last edited by AllAbtSlfDef; May 2nd, 2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: had a typo.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Administrator
    K. McCann AKA Jim Grover - Inside The Crucible Volume 3 would be an OK way to get some basics at home. You can probably pick it up cheaper than $49.00 on Ebay.
    Knife & Sword Fighting - Kelly McCann's Inside the Crucible Volume 3: Situational Combatives and Knife Fighting
    You really need to have somebody to train with though.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I have done FMA and also Hock Hochheim CQC seminars. Other supplementary materials are from Kelly McCann like someone mentioned. And if you wanna learn to use the knife for ambush, I also have Greg Walker's "Death in the Shadows" video on knife killing. It seems odd to learn it but I feel it to be useful supplement to add if you have to use it to escape from your captors as a prisoner of war or hostage.

Michael Janich has put out some awesome videos on knife fighting. i believe he has some stuff on youtube too.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Other Knife Training Videos

I have one from Michael Janich. I think it's on the basic use of the tactical folder (forgot the title) from Paladin Press. It's a lot of information. I also have another from Paladin Press from James Keating called "Reverse Grip Knife Fighting". They are pretty much same as my Filipino Martial Arts training but they are great for refresher.

If you're ever around OR, you want to try and take CEOTWK (Close Encounters of The Worst Kind) at Oregon Firearms Academy.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

We concentrate on the open hand, stick, knife, and gun within seven yards. I get out to Indy every once in a while. Not sure how far you are. For folders we teach Inverted Edge Tactics.- George

Links