Anyone Carry Pepper Spray? - Page 3

Anyone Carry Pepper Spray?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry Pepper Spray? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School Bark'n be careful of the small key chain dispensers as they tend to lose propellent rather quickly and have a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Carry Pepper Spray?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post

Bark'n be careful of the small key chain dispensers as they tend to lose propellent rather quickly and have a very small amount of the actual product in them. I would recommend no smaller than the .68 oz MK IX dispensers. They have enough product to do the job and maintain propellent life.
    Old School,

Thanks for the advice. We replace our key chain Fox labs annually. They are cheap enough and not a problem. Great stocking stuffers too, which is why I replace them at Christmas. That way, I have a routine schedule to make sure I don't forget to do it.

I keep my 2 oz. version about 2 years before I replace it. I'd have to look, but it's either stamped with an expiration date or a date of manufacture. I go by the date stamp.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My gun and pepper spray are 'partners', and I always have them both with me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Was driving home one night thru a less than desirable part of town. We had severe thunderstorms earlier and their were some tree limbs in the road. I was driving a brand new jeep wrangler I had just bought. As I turned down the street their was a guy standing in the middle of the road, and he would not move, so I honked the horn. At this point he became irrate and started yelling obscenties at me which I could hear due to the soft top. Suddenly, he picked up a tree limb and started towards me. My thought was, oh h no, you are not gonna hit my new jeep! I exited the vehicle and pulled my pepper out of my pocket, it is the mark 3 brand, and took a two handed aim at about 10 yards and lit him up. He dropped the branch, and attempted to run away. I watched as he ran into and bounced off a chain link fence, which catupulted him backwards on his back in the street. I locked my vehicle, got my cuffs, but decided to let him amuse me for a few minutes as he was screaming in pain and bouncing off of trees, cars, the corner of a house, and a mailbox. Finally, he gave up and sat down, crying out in pain for help so the burning would stop. At this point it started raining, so I cuffed him to a bicycle rack, went back to my jeep and called for a transport vehicle. Pepper works, and it can be fun.

VIP Member

re: Glockman10mm

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Finally, he gave up and sat down, crying out in pain for help so the burning would stop. At this point it started raining, so I cuffed him to a bicycle rack, went back to my jeep and called for a transport vehicle. Pepper works, and it can be fun.
    OT, I know, but did you ever find out WHY he wanted to attack your new Jeep?

He sure picked the wrong car at the wrong time with the wrong driver.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    [note to self: do not attack new Jeeps in Kentucky.]
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OT, I know, but did you ever find out WHY he wanted to attack your new Jeep?

He sure picked the wrong car at the wrong time with the wrong driver.
    Turned out the guy had a fight with his girlfriend, who had an EPO on him, and had came to her house drunk wanting to talk, and her dad kicked his @ so he was a deranged p'oed drunken fool, who should not be trying to hit new jeeps with branches. So that night was a really bad night for him all the way around

VIP Member
    Depending on what state you are from and departmental policy OC can fall a couple of different places on the use of force ladder. Ours was at the same level as baton.
    I do not know how many times I have been introduced to OC/CS/CN over the years both by accident and in training. One thing that was common to all was that in most cases there was a delay from deployment/contact with the skin and onset of effects. Many times up to a minute or more. Plus 1,000,000 to whomever brought personal exposure up prior to carrying. (Mothers and very mean red headed southern women are exempt from this) believe me it is for your own good trust me.
    Officers in training that were sprayed were required to conduct baton strikes, draw there weapon and conduct a mock arrest including handcuffing a suspect before they were overcome by the effects.
    Keep in mind less than lethal devices, for the most part, are pain compliance devices. You cause them pain, they do what you want so to speak. The only problem with these devices is that each individual has his or her own pain threshold that must be reached and passed before the desired effect can be reached. This does not include the use of Tasers which overides the pain threshold and they do what you want no matter what.
    A person who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs may have such an increased pain threshold or desensitized nervous system depending on how you look at it, that even firearms mave have little or no immediate effect on them.
    We must be very careful saying things like "No one is immune OC/CS mixture" I assure you their is someone out there who can take your best shot and come back for more. Not saying it does not work better than the rest just dont put all your faith in it working everytime on everyone.
    Is that always a bad thing? Who knows. If you encounter someone who you have sprayed with OC/CS/CN, struck with a baton, hit in the face and still keeps coming anyone can see you exhausted every option that you had available before you had to use deadly force to me that would do nothing but strengthen your case for self defense.
    Overall it is never a bad thing to have as many tools available to you as you can. Train with what you have to a level of self confidence then go one step higher, that way you are always prepared.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

INFORMATION CORRECTION

When I suggested a minimal size OC spray I inadvertently made an error in the numerical designation of the size of the container. It should read MK-VI or MK-6 at .68 oz. My bad. I prefer the MK-III or MK-3 at 2 oz. but I know it is large for some folks to carry. Just remember the smaller the container the less product and propellent you have. Also the flip top dispenser has the best track record for reliability and safety from accidental discharge. All the major brands carry this type of top. Thank you all for your responses to this thread.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    carry spray often and whenever i go someplace the gun or blades arent allowed...always carry a kubiton also..handy little tool and well disquised as it is merely a dowel and not one of the fancl grooved models that are identified as a weapon...

and i highly recommend giving yourself even an indirect shot with the spray...itll teach you to never fire it into the wind and give you a feel for what kind of time it buys you and what affect it has on the senses...its nasty stuff...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Now that I think of it, I do not recall a single story where OC was successfully used by a civilian.

Still, I carry some.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I used to but the worry about getting contaminated myself or one of my loved ones stopped me.....and that may not be the best option but that is what I decided.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I was successful with OC spray 25 years ago in California, though through the threat rather than the deployment.

A fellow approached my wife and me in a parking lot in the Los Angeles area, and I felt threatened. I had my OC spray in my hand and told him I would spray him if he came any closer. (Doubt I would reveal it these days, BTW.) He looked at me incredulously, and (staying where he was) said, "You're kidding - you would really spray me?" I replied that I most certainly would. He evidently believed me and left. Odds are he thought I was nuts, but it worked.

Would the pain compliance have worked? Heck, was there any propellant in the can? I have no idea. But my having the stuff kept me from having to deal with the guy.

Still not sure if he was a true threat or just bothersome. Glad I had the can.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by BanditJack View Post
    I used to carry pepper. Pretty useless here in Michigan, you can only carry 2% OC spray. After I heard about some of the different cities having different ordinances regarding it, I stopped. I rely on my closed knives now if I want to be less-lethal.

After I stopped carrying it, I sprayed myself with it to see the effects. Nothing... until I forgot it was on my hands, and went to the bathroom. Resulted in 45 minutes of awkward crotch grabbing.
    I sold pepper spray in the Detroit area from 1994 thru 2003. I used to do the Gibraltar shows under the Budokan trade name. 2% is not an issue for self defense against 2 legged attackers as that concentration is going to be enough at close range. For bear 10% is desirable because it holds it's concentration over a longer distance. For example the higher the percentage the larger area or farther downwind it can travel and still be effective. Keeping bear at a distance is a good thing. Or so I've been told.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Munch, how many customers reported using to defend themselves during an attack?- George

VIP Member

re: Mercop pepper spray and google news

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Munch, how many customers reported using to defend themselves during an attack?- George
    I just did a quick google news search with these terms--pepper spray plus these terms " robbery rape theft"

There are many hits, but most of them are instances in which the BG used the pepper spray on a victim.

Something most of us never think much about is that while we may be armed with gun, knife, blah blah, taser, flashlights, WE are vulnerable to pepper. Any of us not trained to deal with it (which is most of us) are going to get a big bad surprise if a BG uses pepper to disorient.

It almost makes sense to get "fashion" friendly sports glasses that provide some protection around the edges and the top.

Anyone keep chemical lab. style safety glasses on the night stand?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links