Anyone Carry Pepper Spray?

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry Pepper Spray? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a keychain version. It's in my hand as I walk through parking lots or wherever I choose. Carrying keys on a keyring looks ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Carry Pepper Spray?

I carry a keychain version. It's in my hand as I walk through parking lots or wherever I choose. Carrying keys on a keyring looks normal whether in a store or parking lot.

I can deploy it easily in less than a second.

It also detaches from the keyring if needed when the key is in the ignition.

I have sprayed myself a couple times. It's hot and very painful. I can force myself to open my eyes some, but if one hasn't trained for that, I'm guessing the spray will be effective on most.

It may not work on everyone, but I'm willing to give it a try before I have to go H2H or produce a weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Mercop. I don't have a count as to how many total, maybe a dozen or so shared their experience with us. Everyone that had to use it to stop anything from a carjacking to an aggressive individual stated they were extremely happy with the results. The point I was trying to make was about the concentration and common misconcetions regarding it. 20% at 100,000 Scoville units isn't nearly as bad as 2% at 1,000,000 Scoville units, which was what our spray was rated at. And it also seems to fill the void between empty hands and a firearm or other more deadly weapons. Our product was also considerably more effective than the department issue binary spray which in this locale is Freeze +P.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I just did a quick google news search with these terms--pepper spray plus these terms " robbery rape theft"

There are many hits, but most of them are instances in which the BG used the pepper spray on a victim.

Something most of us never think much about is that while we may be armed with gun, knife, blah blah, taser, flashlights, WE are vulnerable to pepper. Any of us not trained to deal with it (which is most of us) are going to get a big bad surprise if a BG uses pepper to disorient.

It almost makes sense to get "fashion" friendly sports glasses that provide some protection around the edges and the top.

Anyone keep chemical lab. style safety glasses on the night stand?
    Unfortunately most anything used for defense can be mis-used by a BG. The penalty here in MI for using OC during the commission of a crime was the same as the penalty for using a gun. Also during any of the testing we conducted the collateral effect was never as incapacitating as the direct spray. Not saying the exposure was pleasant, but you'd still be functional although not a miserable as the victim. Situational awareness (wind direction or available area) needs to be stressed even more so when using OC especially a dry powder type like our product was. We did have one young lady that fired it in the elevator in her apartment building. Needless to say she wasn't fairing much better than the guy she sprayed... however it stopped the attack.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

VIP Member

re: Munch OC in the news???

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Unfortunately most anything used for defense can be mis-used by a BG. The penalty here in MI for using OC during the commission of a crime was the same as the penalty for using a gun. Also during any of the testing we conducted the collateral effect was never as incapacitating as the direct spray. Not saying the exposure was pleasant, but you'd still be functional although not a miserable as the victim. Situational awareness (wind direction or available area) needs to be stressed even more so when using OC especially a dry powder type like our product was. We did have one young lady that fired it in the elevator in her apartment building. Needless to say she wasn't fairing much better than the guy she sprayed... however it stopped the attack.
    I was trying to address Mercop's question in post # 20--"Anyone have any stories where citizens use OC? "

You'd think these would be easy to find with a Google news search but they aren't really. Instead what you find (what I found anyhow) were lots of stories about BGs using the stuff.

I kept OC around the house and in the car for quite some time. The little cans for key chains seemed to lose their oomph as far as distance of the spray and the larger cans --well they would work great IF the wind didn't blow it back. None would be good to use inside your own home.

Don't misunderstand, there are good products and appropriate applications of these. It is just that per Mercop's post, it is a bit hard to find good stories.

I think the bottom line here is to pay attention to brand and quality and buy extra so you can do a little practice.

In Florida Aerko International (Aerko International) has the state contract for Freeze +P 2K3 which is a non-flammable product for use with tasers. It is a 1% Orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile (CS) and 1% Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) formulation. It also contains an ultraviolet dye for police identification. I was sprayed with it and had to fight off an attacker in training several years back and it was no walk in the park. I used it on a combative subject who had taken a fighting stance about 6 ft away from me and it was instantly effective and he immediately obeyed the command to get on the ground and put his hands behind his back. His continued request after cuffing was to " Please get this stuff off me". If Michigan has a 1% requirement then this is the product to use. It is dispensed in a stream.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I agree Hopyard. Brand name is everything. The only other product I would recommend is made by Bodyguard. We never made cutesy/gimmicky containers like the fake lipstick tube, key-chain, or the fountain pen units. They are too small to carry adequate amounts of both OC and propellant. Our stuff was totally dry as soon as it made contact with outside air because the propellant we used was a refrigerant and therefore didn't require the use of a suspension liquid like most every other product uses. The difference between liquid based and dry is that the liquid travels in a straight line and can be blocked by a raised hand, glasses, closed eyes etc. and also cannot be inhaled. Dry spray fogs and billows even though it travels at a high velocity and goes around glasses or hands to envelope the intended target. It will settle on the eyelashes and enter when the eyes are reopened too. It can also be inhaled and that's what really takes the fight out of the person. Drunk, high or just stupid. If you can't breath, you can't fight. It causes inflammation as opposed to just irritation like CS does, so no messy mucous dripping. Not enough inflammation as to be dangerous but if that does become an issue then there's ample time for epinephrine to be used.

I used Freeze +P when I was with the Sheriff's Office. And I can vouch for its effectiveness. Besides slamming the eyes shut and breaking the lining of snot in the nasal cavity making it all run out, it also plays tricks with a muscle in the throat causing it to spasm. Makes you think you're choking when you're not. Doesn't work on everybody though, so you should always be prepared to escalate. The Police Dept. here uses Sabre.

Our chemical weapons instructor at the time wanted to determine which of the popular pepper sprays was the best, so he did a test the hard way. He invited reps from seven different companies that sold product and they came out and gave him a blast to the face. The Freeze +P came out on top and I would recommend it if for no other reason than I respect the opinion of a person who would put himself through that.

Maybe I'll have to dig out that old video of me getting sprayed. For the first time in my life I didn't have a smart ass comment when someone stuck a camera in my face.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I currently use one from Sabre. It can be also clipped to the belt and I can have my car keys attached to it or disconnected. Uses also 20 shot bursts in stream.

I carry OC frequently and keep a can of Bear Spray by the front door.

It is useful to have for either occasions where firearms (or other weapons) aren't allowed but it can get through security, or for cases where there is some danger but no one REALLY needs to get shot (right away).

I generally carry and give FOG spray to my relatives. FOG is good for those with reduced physical capabilities since aiming is not required -- it does present an increased likelihood that you will bet some blow back but this stuff is mostly a doomsday device for people who have no other weapon and don't care at that point.

Police usually prefer one of the newer foam, gels, or perhaps stream sprays so they don't completely contaminate the squad car etc. But police usually have more martial and physical skills than the folks I am suggesting should carry fog.

There are also tactical uses that can be imagined, e.g., during a robbery should you decide to drop out the back door of a grocery store or some such you might lay down a barrier at the exit to discourage the bad guys from following (although you might also discourage the innocent from doing so too so it is a judgment call.)

OC is better than nothing, and might sometimes be the best choice available.

--
    HerbM

Administrator
    I always carry a key-chain unit when I'm walking the dog & I keep a larger canister in the vehicle.

I didn't mention this before, but I have a key chain size OC that is on a (separate from my keys) retractable clip -- one of those things that has a spring loaded line on reel.

I hook this to my belt and if it is noticeable I sometimes extend it a bit to my pocket but the line makes it easy to pull out quickly and if I drop the unit it is right there on my belt again.

--
    HerbM

I carry a Spitfire key chain sized unit with my keys, so that I will always have it with me. Better to have a non lethal alternative when dealing with an obnoxious or inebriated individual or group, or a menacing dog.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I don't, but I should. I am prepared for the worst case scenario, but not really ready for a les escalated encounter. I have also given alot of thought to stun guns... I definately need to get something for my wife to carry, as I work evenings, she tends to be home alone alot, and when she goes out, she is without defense. I have tried to get her to go for her CCW also, but she is a little overwhelmed and frightened by the whole thing. She is a competent shooter, and that is with a .45ACP, but she needs more range time. I am most likely going to buy her a pepper spray this week... Thanks for reminding me!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

My wife has both a stun gun and pepper spray (fog) and is pretty good about carrying to hand, keeping it accessible.

Of the two, I favor the spray a bit, due to range -- you don't have to wait until they are grabbing you.

Anyone who is considering these (or carrying them) should go search YouTube and watch a handfull of videos on each of them to see the real effects.

For pepper spray its a good idea to include SOME of the videos from the Marine (or Army) training course where troops are sprayed and then must run a course with various stations where they simulate fighting at each (different) station.

Key is figuring out a way to keep the tool accessible and gaining enough empty hand skill to be able to stop the first assault and ACCESS the weapon (or run, or blow a whistle etc).

In AMOK! we practice a lot of "accessing" -- where the scenario is that we must first stop a full rush attack and get enough space/time to safely access our tools.

It really doesn't matter much whether that tool is a gun, knife, stun gun, pepper spray, whistle or even just the plan to run away, that initial defense and accessing method is pretty much the same.

I picked up a can of Foxlabs yesterday for the wife. I think i'll get myself one too. Funny thing is as I was looking for fox labs brand all they had out on the shelves were MACE brand i asked the clerk if he had any foxlabs..he smiled and was like "oh yeah, follow me" it was behind the case .. good stuff i presume

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links