Spyderco

This is a discussion on Spyderco within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you "knife people" think of the Endura 4? I had a bid on one in eBay but the guy never sent it or ...

Thread: Spyderco

Spyderco

What do you "knife people" think of the Endura 4?

I had a bid on one in eBay but the guy never sent it or refunded my money so I had to file a claim in the resolution center. Got my money back today so now I'm looking again.

The one that I had was the Emerson Opener and the combination blade. According to their 2010 catalog it looks like if you want the Emerson Opener you have to buy the plain blade.

What do you guys think? This will be an everyday knife taking the place of my Benchmade.

I'm not committed to Spyderco or the Emerson Opener, if there is something better for roughly the same price what is it???

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Beware, Once bitten, the addiction to spydercos is very strong!
    That aside, the delica, is a great edc. Not too big, not too small, generally accepted by the general public. The Endura is a great field knife. Both are excellent for self defence if that is what you will be using them for. I have found that the Endura looks too big and get the looks from the public that you just don't want. But you may have different results. You can't go wrong with spyderco!

I like Spydies. I have the Endura 4. It is 3.75" blade. I'm not sure if that matters to you in IN. Here is CO the limit to conceal or even have in Denver is 3.5. The blade I have is VG-19 from Seki City Japan. It's a great steel. I like the Police the best but it is 4.125" which is even farther out of specs for concealed. CCWs in CO do not cover blades, they may in some states. Delica and Centofante 4 are good choices for smaller blades.

Here in CO it's okay if it's not concealed and your not in City of Denver (People's republic of Denver).

Checkout this website for price references:

https://secure.armysurplusforless.co...hp?sub_id=1033

This is were I have bought all my Spydies. If yoiu were local to Littleton, CO you could shop in person. They do ship.

You can buy the Spyderco Endura4 with Wave opening with either the standard blade or combination serrated blade.

Spyderco makes very nice EDC blades and you won't find a faster opening knife on the market than one with the Emerson Wave.

I have both a Endura and a Delica. Depends on your hand size. Most every day cutting tasks the Delica would be fine. If your like me, and use your EDC knife in the kitchen as well, then go with the Endura. May I also suggest the ZDP steel? It gets wicked sharp, and stays that way for practically forever! I love my Spydies!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I found the handle on the Endura to be both too long and too thin. The blade size is great but the handle is just ridiculously long for the blade attached to it.

i love my Enduras. I recently got one of the new FFG ones in the cool blue. i would definitely keep looking at a spyderco. just a warning, it will become an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I found the handle on the Endura to be both too long and too thin. The blade size is great but the handle is just ridiculously long for the blade attached to it.
    Oh, c'mon, psycho, it's not that long. I actually like the length of the handle, gives you some extra for strikes with the butt.

psychophipps' dislike of the Endura highlights the fact that knife preference is a very personal thing. I love the Endura4. He doesn't. You have to try 'em out, and see what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Oh, c'mon, psycho, it's not that long. I actually like the length of the handle, gives you some extra for strikes with the butt.

psychophipps' dislike of the Endura highlights the fact that knife preference is a very personal thing. I love the Endura4. He doesn't. You have to try 'em out, and see what works best for you.

I to love the Endura 4. I carry the waved version everyday set up for reverse grip when I deploy it. Spyderco-once it bites you, you will be addicted.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Well, to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of folders in general so I'm pretty picky when it comes to them. Now I'm not saying that the Endura isn't a fantastic blade for the price, it certainly is, but it didn't open too great for me (because of it's lock-back design stiffer blade detent) when compared to my Griptilian and I found the handle of the Griptilian a lot more comfortable for my large-size palm and extra-large length fingers.

I would definitely give these two flagship models a go before you make any final decision.

i have the delica wave, i love it, my first and only spyderco.

i wish i had money for a police 3 or the military....

but anyways, i bought the delica because its big enough and under 3 inches, for when i go in to DC.

the wave is super faster, fast as a fixed blade from a sheath.

BUT if u plan on using the wave feature under presure, it might not always work. u gotta get it at the proper angel to catch and at a fast speed, low speed doesnt work.

so if its suppose to be for some kinda self defnse knife, i'd go fix blade.

emerson lagriffe for 100 dollars,
    i have a bear claw by CRKT for about 35 dollars...

btw i love the sharpness on the VG 10 steel.

my favorite knive is the benchmade griptilian full size ;) its awsome...

There's no such thing as a bad Endura.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Quote Originally Posted by SCALPHUNTER View Post
    There's no such thing as a bad Endura.
    Agreed.

For some people, however, there is such as a thing as a better Griptilian.

Agreed.

I own several makes and models of Griptilian and I like them very much. In fact I am currently carrying a Endura4 and a mini grip. That being said IMHO the Endura 4 is a better all around knife.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Agreed.

I believe no matter what knife you carry, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that counts.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Links