COLD STEEL knives .. free DVD

This is a discussion on COLD STEEL knives .. free DVD within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't remember where I saw this before, but I signed up for the free DVD put out by Cold Steel. Pretty amazing stuff. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COLD STEEL knives .. free DVD

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar

COLD STEEL knives .. free DVD

I can't remember where I saw this before, but I signed up for the free DVD put out by Cold Steel.

Pretty amazing stuff. I admit I was impressed.

http://www.coldsteel.com/moreproof.html
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

2. Remove Ads

i have the one they made before that one, but the only thing that really impressed me was when they flex the blades in the vice. Everything else(excluding the bamboo sheets, maybe) could be done with knives i have laying on my desk.

also they did a demo where they throw certain folding knives at a wall of 2x4's to show how well they stand up, but at the end almost all of the blades are broken and they the president dares other companies to do the same. to me breaking your knives isn't really a show of durability, but hey that's just my .02's.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

VIP Member
    As much as I love Cold Steel knives and enjoy the several I have, I've never liked their constant "mine's better than yours" advertising approach. It comes across as silly, unprofessional, and downright whiny.

I think a knife that suits your needs is the right one for you. If you punch through car hoods all day long, than Cold Steel has proven it's the right one for you. If you're using knife for mild everyday utility or for self-defense, their tests are exaggerated.

They can sever 3" rope with one swipe while I use my Benchmade to cut loose strings on my clothing.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have one of those DVDs and I was impressed. They can sure beat their knives to death. I'm kind of with Betty on this one, they just go overboard on how their knives are the greatest. I have at least three, and they're good knives. No doubt. But, I've never taken one of my Emersons and tortured it. Maybe one would do as well. My using one is beat to pieces but still works. I have a Benchmade Emerson that we used with a pipe on the handle to break metal straps on a pallet. It still works.
    Even so, I think the Cold Steel DVD is kind of a must have for anyone into knives.

i gotta go with betty. almost no one is going to spend money on somthing that they are going to try to destroy to prove its worth.

also if the knives are so good, why would they need all this advertisement and bragging? i don't see an emerson video, but most people agree they are top quality knives.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

as a cold steel owner (i own several models), i also think lynn thompson suscribes to the p.t. barnum school of salesmanship. he's a shystie huckster, no doubt. still, he believes in his product, enough to put together media to prove it. i would like to see other companies do the sam; for example, i keep hearing about emerson knives being top of the line, but some proof would be nice. i also own benchmade, spyderco, and crkt knives, and i personally know they're quality steel, but i think it would be neat to see their product in action. many might see mr. thompson's sales technique as hokey, but at the very least is entertaining to watch, and it's free to those who want it.

What they don't tell you is steel is steel and each alloy has plusses and minuses. If you really want to see something impressive, watch a master bladesmith take his test for certification. It will leave any factory made blade in the dust. They can't afford the time and money to do what a great smith can do to steel.

Eric

I can see where your coming from saying that the advertising is overboard but you gotta admit that it is comforting knowing what kind of extreme abuse a knife can take even if you dont ever put it through anything close to its limit. Even with their odd advertising I still say cold steel is one of my favorite knife makers. But yea, your right - there are several other brands out there that will do just as much.

If I ever need a knife that I can bend sideways with a pipe, Cold Steel will be my first choice.

I like their newish Recon folder... that's a very good folder for the money.

i just ordered there DVD so well see when it comes in

Senior Moderator
    I've got around 15 various Cold Steel knives and I use them hard.Very hard.

They work, stay sharp, come out of the box sharp and as far as knives go they are fairly cheap.

I've got the video and watched it. Much of what they do has to do with technique. Most factory knives couldnt stand the abuse.

VIP Member
    I've seen their video before. Impressive stuff.

Sure, I don't intend to destroy my knife to prove it could hold up, (what would be the point, now I'm out a knife "but it was a good one") but I have no problem watching them do it. I think their torture test prove their worth. It just happens to be their little advertising method and I'm OK with it. (this would be a good place for a "smilie" that is two pennies dancing around)

And just so you know, I do own a couple of CS knives, but my carry knife is a Benchmade. Big surprise, huh?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    I've seen their video before. Impressive stuff.

Sure, I don't intend to destroy my knife to prove it could hold up, (what would be the point, now I'm out a knife "but it was a good one") but I have no problem watching them do it. I
    I own and use three Cold Steel Knives. Good Quality knives. I own three Glocks. Good firearms. I have never seen the need to put either of them through the torture test the manufactured has.

The video's are worth it to watch. Watching Lynn heart & lung a deer at 15 yards with a 20 pound boar spear is just way cool. The sword displays are fun to watch too.

I just bought my first cold steel knife and really like it. It was only $25. I'll stick to my benchmade for the regular knife work, but if I ever need to use a knife in self defense this one will do nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links