Defensive Carry banner

COLD STEEL knives .. free DVD

4K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  nicneufeld 
#1 ·
I can't remember where I saw this before, but I signed up for the free DVD put out by Cold Steel.

Pretty amazing stuff. I admit I was impressed.

http://www.coldsteel.com/moreproof.html

#2 ·
i have the one they made before that one, but the only thing that really impressed me was when they flex the blades in the vice. Everything else(excluding the bamboo sheets, maybe) could be done with knives i have laying on my desk.

also they did a demo where they throw certain folding knives at a wall of 2x4's to show how well they stand up, but at the end almost all of the blades are broken and they the president dares other companies to do the same. to me breaking your knives isn't really a show of durability, but hey that's just my .02's.

#3 ·
As much as I love Cold Steel knives and enjoy the several I have, I've never liked their constant "mine's better than yours" advertising approach. It comes across as silly, unprofessional, and downright whiny.

I think a knife that suits your needs is the right one for you. If you punch through car hoods all day long, than Cold Steel has proven it's the right one for you. If you're using knife for mild everyday utility or for self-defense, their tests are exaggerated.

They can sever 3" rope with one swipe while I use my Benchmade to cut loose strings on my clothing. :rofl:

#4 ·
I have one of those DVDs and I was impressed. They can sure beat their knives to death. I'm kind of with Betty on this one, they just go overboard on how their knives are the greatest. I have at least three, and they're good knives. No doubt. But, I've never taken one of my Emersons and tortured it. Maybe one would do as well. My using one is beat to pieces but still works. I have a Benchmade Emerson that we used with a pipe on the handle to break metal straps on a pallet. It still works.
Even so, I think the Cold Steel DVD is kind of a must have for anyone into knives.

#5 ·
i gotta go with betty. almost no one is going to spend money on somthing that they are going to try to destroy to prove its worth.

also if the knives are so good, why would they need all this advertisement and bragging? i don't see an emerson video, but most people agree they are top quality knives.

#6 ·
as a cold steel owner (i own several models), i also think lynn thompson suscribes to the p.t. barnum school of salesmanship. he's a shystie huckster, no doubt. still, he believes in his product, enough to put together media to prove it. i would like to see other companies do the sam; for example, i keep hearing about emerson knives being top of the line, but some proof would be nice. i also own benchmade, spyderco, and crkt knives, and i personally know they're quality steel, but i think it would be neat to see their product in action. many might see mr. thompson's sales technique as hokey, but at the very least is entertaining to watch, and it's free to those who want it.

#7 ·
What they don't tell you is steel is steel and each alloy has plusses and minuses. If you really want to see something impressive, watch a master bladesmith take his test for certification. It will leave any factory made blade in the dust. They can't afford the time and money to do what a great smith can do to steel.

Eric

#8 ·
I can see where your coming from saying that the advertising is overboard but you gotta admit that it is comforting knowing what kind of extreme abuse a knife can take even if you dont ever put it through anything close to its limit. Even with their odd advertising I still say cold steel is one of my favorite knife makers. But yea, your right - there are several other brands out there that will do just as much.

#11 ·
I've got around 15 various Cold Steel knives and I use them hard.Very hard.

They work, stay sharp, come out of the box sharp and as far as knives go they are fairly cheap.

I've got the video and watched it. Much of what they do has to do with technique. Most factory knives couldnt stand the abuse.

#12 ·
I've seen their video before. Impressive stuff.

Sure, I don't intend to destroy my knife to prove it could hold up, (what would be the point, now I'm out a knife "but it was a good one") but I have no problem watching them do it. I think their torture test prove their worth. It just happens to be their little advertising method and I'm OK with it. (this would be a good place for a "smilie" that is two pennies dancing around)

And just so you know, I do own a couple of CS knives, but my carry knife is a Benchmade. Big surprise, huh?

#13 ·
CopperKnight said:
I've seen their video before. Impressive stuff.

Sure, I don't intend to destroy my knife to prove it could hold up, (what would be the point, now I'm out a knife "but it was a good one") but I have no problem watching them do it. I
I own and use three Cold Steel Knives. Good Quality knives. I own three Glocks. Good firearms. I have never seen the need to put either of them through the torture test the manufactured has. :danceban:

#16 ·
I've got a few CS knives. Vaquero Grande, Prolite folder, The Spike shown above. Two of their smaller folders, the shovel, two tomahawks and a ready edge, plus the little keychain folder. I have abused the heck out of the Vaquero for nearly 6 years. Used it for everything from prying out industrial staples, to sawing off tree limbs. They do go a bit over the top when it comes to "we're the best", but I have to say, they make a top notch product.
The Vaquero saved me from a nasty fight in CA. At the time, it was my EDC. Working Loss Prevention in a bad area, and a guy I was after pulled a boxcutter and started slashing. I backpedaled and pulled the Vaquero. One look at the six-inch recurved blade, and he dropped the boxcutter and beat feet. Sure was glad I had it.
But I digress. Good knives. While I may never abuse my knives like Lynn Thompson does, it's nice to know they could take it if I chose to.

#17 ·
I have to say that Cold Steel is definitely one of my preferred knife brands. I own a few myself and use them quite a bit. I've never had a complaint about them and neither has anyone that I know that carries one.

The video was impressive but I have to say that the advertising could do without the comments. Just watching the testing that the blade goes through is enough for me.

#18 ·
Rocnerd said:
I just bought my first cold steel knife and really like it. It was only $25. I'll stick to my benchmade for the regular knife work, but if I ever need to use a knife in self defense this one will do nicely.

Now that's a good looking little tool! Are you going to carry this as a "neck knife"? Just curious. :06:

#23 ·
I don't know about Rocnerd, but you can carry it neck, IWB, with straps on a leg or arm. Pretty versatile sheath (though I'm still no fan of the IM sheaths) . The Spikes are pretty cool, the pics don't show it, but it has a heavy triangular profile. Very "stabby".:smile:

#21 ·
I've got the DVD (but I haven't watched it) and I have a coupld of Cold Steel knives. I'm prett pleased with them, but haven't really put them through any torture tests, so I don't have much with which to compare them.

#22 ·
I just received the free DVD...it is pretty impressive and damn fun to watch. Some of the tests are repetitive....but hey...still cool. I definately woudn't try a lot of the stuff at home. Punching a folding tanto through a steel car hood could rendor your hand USELESS if your hand slipped down to the blade. Remember, folks....In tact tendons are a good thing for proper motor function.

#24 ·
you know i would agree that his constant mine is bigger than yours stuff is a little much...i wish they would do video's torture testing more stuff like that so you REALLY know what you are getting when you buy stuff. wouldnt that be great to get a video of them crashing the car you are looking at buying? or anything like that for that matter? i think it would be a great sales device. Not too many people are willing to show the abuse their product can take becuase a lot of the stuff today just cant take it. Nice to see one that is not shy about it and willing to show them broken and battered =O) a little truth in advertising.

#25 ·
Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but I am watching this, and with very little offense intended to Mr. Thompson, I've finally figured out why he makes me want to laugh. I know, I know, I'm terrible, but for some reason when he puts on his frowny "I'm a badass" face and poses with a ninja sword while wearing tight little shorts I have to giggle. But anyway, has anyone seen the BBC show "The Office", with Ricky Gervais? His character (David Brent) is almost a body double, and almost everything I thought was funny in Brent is there in Mr. Thompson.

And here's the video of the actual dance, of which the above image is a snippet:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AKpybGYozeE

Anyway, sorry Mr. Thompson, I bet you make awesome knives and swords, certainly lots of ones I can't afford, and the video was impressive, and I certainly wouldn't want go up against you with an edged weapon, but there is an uncanny resemblence, at least I think!

#26 ·
OK, I'm getting a lot more humor out of this video than they intended, I'm sure...in the "Sword Proof" video, one of the martial arts demonstrators had this little chestnut to say, verbatim:

"I'd like to remind you that if you are interested in learning about martial arts, seek professional help."

Hehehe! I guess a proofreader was out of the budget!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.